Mario, Chud, And The Laziness Of "Miami Connections"

WhatTheHell

"WE CANT DEMAND PERFECTION.”
Banned
I am growing increasingly tired of our fans and media regurgitating the names of guys who are only being propped up because of some "Miami connection." The truth is, if you covered their names and looked only at their resumes, you'd laugh them right off the candidate list.

I really fail to see the importance of hiring a MIAMI guy, anyway. Why can't a coach with no history at UM come down here and build a winner? Their tenures happened when I was still pooping my pants and drinking juice boxes, but I don't believe Jimmy Johnson or Dennis Erickson had any connections to Miami before arriving. People will overlook everything else as long as a guy has worn the U at some point in his life. It's bizarre. I heard one Deluxe Mongoloid on the radio going on about how Ed Reed knows what Miami is about more than anyone, and why he'd be great here. These are some great ideas, guys. Who cares if Chud and Cristobal's resumes are about as valuable as bird cage lining, THEY WERE ONCE HURRICANES! "Hey fans, we just hired a position coach who was fired by FIU - season ticket packages start at $150." That'll really get our balls wet.

I don't care where a coach comes from. You wanna know what I care about? I'm gonna tell ya, bub; can the ******* guy coach? Interestingly enough, I believe a lot of great coaches have enjoyed success at programs they had zero history with before taking the position.

Successful coaches who never played for, lived by, or coached at their schools before getting hired:

Urban Meyer - UF, Utah
Les Miles - LSU
Nick Saban - LSU, Alabama
Pete Carroll - USC
Dabo Swinney - Clemson
Mark Dantonio - Michigan State
Jim Harbaugh - Stanford
Bob Stoops - Oklahoma
Gary Patterson - TCU

So what in the fvck is it that makes you think Miami is some special case? Why are we the only place where experience at the school is some prerequisite for the position? It's retarded. We should be hiring the best football coach, I don't care where the **** he's from or if he can even point out Coral Gables on a map. He'll figure it out. I want Tom Herman driving around Miami with a map mispronouncing cafecito and asking why everyone's got on a chinstrap but no helmet.

Now, if you continue to hype up a group of bums because they coached kickers at Miami 50 years ago I will disguise myself as your mailman, get you to open your front door, and repeatedly powerbomb you onto the hood of your family car while your dog barks at me to stop and your wife keeps screaming "omg why is this happening who the fvck is CHUD?!!?"

Advertisement
I agree, it doesn't take someone from Miami to understand Miami. Just go watch The U.

This is the scariest part of the process. I've spoken to two older and prominent players in the past two weeks and both were adamant about getting a "Miami Guy" in here. They both wanted Butch but also supported Chud. It's truly infuriating and the inability to really analyze good candidates is what lead to ***, when the signs were obvious if you actually did your homework that he was never worthy of this job. The need for a "Miami Guy" is as dumb as people who were clamoring for "Michigan Man" at Michigan, they just got luck this time and ended up with Jim Harbaugh.

**** str8. It just so happens that Butch Davis is the best available option.

Thus making everyone happy except Blake James and blackvern apparently.

Last edited:
Butch is the only "miami" guy i want if it's not him I personally want an outsider... Herman, strong, etc

Advertisement
I started a thread a while back about not over-correcting because of the previous coach's failure. Golden was an outsider who failed, so the over-correction is putting a priority on a "Miami guy." It's dumb AF. The "Miami guy" rhetoric is almost as annoying as the "ace recruiter" bull****.

Go get a good ******* coach. Period. I don't care if he's from Dubuque.

A good coach, who has a strong emphasis on player development.

Th media is predictable and lazy. None of their mentions or reasoning makes much sense. I just hope someone in charge starts making sound decisions in the AD.

The most important hire in it's program history.

You need people on staff with Miami connections but you don't need the top guy or even the coordinators to have them.
A mix is good. But just get the right people and win.

Advertisement
Agreed. We need the best available coach we can get. Davis is the only Miami guy who I'm interested in. If it becomes clear that he won't be considered, then I hope we choose a difference maker who'll be here for 5 years minimum and (hopefully) leave a successor. If it's a younger coach, though, there likely won't be a successor left - he'll take his whole crew with him...

I am growing increasingly tired of our fans and media regurgitating the names of guys who are only being propped up because of some "Miami connection." The truth is, if you covered their names and looked only at their resumes, you'd laugh them right off the candidate list.

I really fail to see the importance of hiring a MIAMI guy, anyway. Why can't a coach with no history at UM come down here and build a winner? Their tenures happened when I was still pooping my pants and drinking juice boxes, but I don't believe Jimmy Johnson or Dennis Erickson had any connections to Miami before arriving. People will overlook everything else as long as a guy has worn the U at some point in his life. It's bizarre. I heard one Deluxe Mongoloid on the radio going on about how Ed Reed knows what Miami is about more than anyone, and why he'd be great here. These are some great ideas, guys. Who cares if Chud and Cristobal's resumes are about as valuable as bird cage lining, THEY WERE ONCE HURRICANES! "Hey fans, we just hired a position coach who was fired by FIU - season ticket packages start at $150." That'll really get our balls wet.

I don't care where a coach comes from. You wanna know what I care about? I'm gonna tell ya, bub; can the ******* guy coach? Interestingly enough, I believe a lot of great coaches have enjoyed success at programs they had zero history with before taking the position.

Successful coaches who never played for, lived by, or coached at their schools before getting hired:

Urban Meyer - UF, Utah
Les Miles - LSU
Nick Saban - LSU, Alabama
Pete Carroll - USC
Dabo Swinney - Clemson
Mark Dantonio - Michigan State
Jim Harbaugh - Stanford
Bob Stoops - Oklahoma
Gary Patterson - TCU

So what in the fvck is it that makes you think Miami is some special case? Why are we the only place where experience at the school is some prerequisite for the position? It's retarded. We should be hiring the best football coach, I don't care where the **** he's from or if he can even point out Coral Gables on a map. He'll figure it out. I want Tom Herman driving around Miami with a map mispronouncing cafecito and asking why everyone's got on a chinstrap but no helmet.

Now, if you continue to hype up a group of bums because they coached kickers at Miami 50 years ago I will disguise myself as your mailman, get you to open your front door, and repeatedly powerbomb you onto the hood of your family car while your dog barks at me to stop and your wife keeps screaming "omg why is this happening who the fvck is CHUD?!!?"

Urban lived close to OSU, that and it's a walk through conference are the only reasons he is there.
But I get what you are saying

If you have 2 equal coaches you take the one with Miami connections first.

1. No proposed coach is equal to Butch.
2. No proposed coach is better than Butch.
3. Butch built the greatest team of all time, AT MIAMI.

Fair enough. Good points. But at the same time, they shouldn't rule out someone that is highly qualified, and with Miami ties, because of what may well be personal reasons on the part of some, not so much professional ones. It's "strictly business" after all.

Advertisement
Miami ties is the most over rated part of this. No one had stronger Miami ties than Randy Shannon, how'd that work out?

Fair enough. Good points. But at the same time, they shouldn't rule out someone that is highly qualified, and with Miami ties, because of what may well be personal reasons on the part of some, not so much professional ones. It's "strictly business" after all.

You mean like Pagano, would anyone do that?

The 4 coaches with Miami connections that all of these Jack offs have on their list can't get hired by any other school.

Butch is the only one who can't get a job because of something other than being a crappy coach, whether that is right or wrong

You don't need to be a Miami guy to understand the type of athletes in the recruiting base and the type of underdog attitude that is required to succeed here

Advertisement
I go back and forth between two candidates, Butch and Herman. If Herman had 2-3 years of success as a HC, he would be my hands down favorite.

Hiring a coach mainly because he once breathed in the Miami air is going to make this program irrelevant. Get a real God **** coach and the rest takes care of itself.

Michigan kept themselves irrelevant for years harping on that stupid quality.

There isn't a single coach out there with Miami ties that is qualified to run this program aside from Butch. So if the idiots searching for a new coach are going the "Miami guy" route then get the best Miami guy (Butch) of all and be done with it.

Otherwise get me Tom Herman and watch us dominate CFB

It is true that outside blood is good a lot of the times. But there comes a time in every great program that it needs a family member to come right the ship. It was true at Bama -- remember that took Dennis to school in the Sugar Bowl. It is true right now at the other UM. While I agree that merely having touched THE U is not enough, I think we need family right now. BUT it has to be the right family member. Clearly that is Butch. He has the proven track record here. Mario seems a loser to me. Greg is no Butch Davis. Chud as college HC is an unknown. Beyond Butch is a crap shoot family or outsider. After Al I am scared of new blood. What defense do they run? What offense will the run? Miami is unique. We have access like none other to a particular talent base. We have a proven formula of dominance. I have no use for anyone who wants the change the DNA of our recruits. That includes those who thing newer offenses fit you recruits better than the pro style that brought 5 NCs home.

Advertisement
Back