Mario and his Alabama experience...

Might have ended up being the HC here after Golden but probably would have ended up the way of coaches before him w/o the financial commitment.

Was a smart career move. No way he would have ended up getting a Steele or Gattis without crossing paths through Bama. That and learning under arguably one of the best HCs and programs.

We get Mario at the right time and at his prime.

Advertisement
Never blame a man for doing what’s best for him and his family.
Two things here. First, of course, he should do what's best for him and his family just like everyone else. Second, what the f*ck does that have to do with me? I'm a football fan and I want what's best for my team. I don't fault the guy, but I'm a fan and I don't have to pat him on the back. F*ck him for leaving, that didn't help my team. I'm glad he's here now, that is good for my team. As far as some coach or football player goes, that's all I care about. Do your current actions help my team or not? That's it.

He took one look at Golden Co. and while he didn’t have all the answers, he knew amateur hour when he saw it. And did what any aggressive and ambitious coach would do and bolted for a master class working for Saban.

DzyQ.gif

Might have ended up being the HC here after Golden but probably would have ended up the way of coaches before him w/o the financial commitment.

Was a smart career move. No way he would have ended up getting a Steele or Gattis without crossing paths through Bama. That and learning under arguably one of the best HCs and programs.

We get Mario at the right time and at his prime.
Crazy how things are seemingly lining up.

The triggering event was 4th and 14.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Two things here. First, of course, he should do what's best for him and his family just like everyone else. Second, what the f*ck does that have to do with me? I'm a football fan and I want what's best for my team. I don't fault the guy, but I'm a fan and I don't have to pat him on the back. F*ck him for leaving, that didn't help my team. I'm glad he's here now, that is good for my team. As far as some coach or football player goes, that's all I care about. Do your current actions help my team or not? That's it.
I think there were some who actually said that this may benefit us in the long run. Clearly hindsight is 20/20 but the split was not just about doing what was right for him. We haven’t been the standard for how to run a program in a while and the debate was a little bit about him doing what was best for him but also about going to get the saban knowledge and bring it back.

I’m not claiming those who thought that are geniuses and there are certainly some ballgames to be played, but those who said that Mario taking the oline position at Bama was better for um than being ahc under golden are looking pretty good right now.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I wont fault anyone for their lives decisions. If Mario felt that this was the best opportunity for him, who am I to give him **** becuase of it.

I dont want anyone to fault my decisions either. If I feel like doing something thats the best for me, I will do it regardless of what people say. Its my life and not anyone elses.

Yeah I was mad at him at the time. In hindsight you couldn't really blame him for getting away from Golden and company. He left and went out and learned from the big boys what an elite program needs to be and how to do it. Then came home to build one! It worked out for us in the end! Couldn't be happier being a Canes fan right now! How many times have we been able to say that since 2002?

As much I hate to admit it, Mario had good reason to leave Al Golden's UM staff for the job at Alabama. It not only gave him an opportunity to hone his coaching, it expanded his coaching tree if not his rolodex. This is one big reason why very senior coaches jump to Saban's staff.
Now excuse me while I wash my mouth with some diluted bleach.

Why would you hate to admit it? Everyone said and knew it at the time—Mario would be more valuable to Miami down the road it he went and learned from Saban.

What was he going to do as an offensive line coach on that dog of a Golden / D'Onofrio team to make any difference?

Advertisement
Back