Mario, Alonzo and Mirabal..

Advertisement
Advertisement
I ******* love Zo. Do we actually know what he’s doing for the program on a daily basis? Talent scouting? Operations? Curious because I haven’t seen it spelled out. I hope he has a large role and isn’t just a figure head.

karl urban cia GIF

Advertisement
He may have been in Canada as his dad was coaching in the CFL. I know the family did eventually make the move though when his dad got a coaching job at Edison.

Yes, his dad was involved with the CFL. It's been a few decades but I vaguely remember a little controversy about Highsmith and 1-2 kids from Canada who wanted to transfer to Columbus as well.

I have never heard Highsmith's story. Anyone care to share where he moved to Miami from etc?
Came from Canada in 1981-82 during my senior year at Columbus. There was a buzz around the school weeks before his arrival about some stud kid that was coming to join the football team.

Pre internet days, so no one knew anything about him. We were all surprised when we first saw him because our team had no black players. I believe there was one black student during my senior year. Very different times.

A great kid who was welcomed by the Columbus community.

I think that was the beginning of recruiting all areas of South Florida and the country by not only Columbus but other schools as well.

He exploded his senior year as a DL and led us to a state final. He wound up being better than another all state DL we had
2 years before, John McVeigh, who also wound up at UM after playing at Kentucky.

Always thought he would’ve been an incredible defensive player in college and pros but Schnellenberger thought otherwise. He was as nasty as they come.

Advertisement
Came from Canada in 1981-82 during my senior year at Columbus. There was a buzz around the school weeks before his arrival about some stud kid that was coming to join the football team.

Pre internet days, so no one knew anything about him. We were all surprised when we first saw him because our team had no black players. I believe there was one black student during my senior year. Very different times.

I think that was the beginning of recruiting all areas of South Florida and the country by not only Columbus but other schools as well.

He exploded his senior year as a DL and led us to a state final. He wound up being better than another all state DL we had
2 years before, John McVeigh, who also wound up at UM after playing at Kentucky.

Always thought he would’ve been an incredible defensive player in college and pros but Schnellenberger thought otherwise. He was as nasty as they come.
so did kevin mccutcheon from 82. and julio cortes from 79 IIRC.

Glad to see CIS is holding off on Rad firing him after year 1. (sarcasm on). Gotta give Zo some time here. The guy knows what it supposed to look like and knows how to do it. Him being by Mario's side is going to do wonders for us in the long run. I think Mario doing a complete 180 on scheme as far as coaching hires was all Zo as well.

Advertisement

There is a name I haven't heard in along time. McVeigh was a really good player for us.

so did kevin mccutcheon from 82. and julio cortes from 79 IIRC.
Yes, I think Cortes was class of 80. Now that guy was a true psycho. If you passed by him in the hall you made **** sure not to look at him. His fights there were legendary.

There were some crazy *** white boys during those years. Him, McVeigh, John Bass, Nick Buoniconti, the Riley brothers.

McCutcheon was in my class. I think he went to South Carolina initially before coming back to the U.

Ian Beckles former Bucs 10 year NFL vet had a radio show in Tampa and he had a few ZO stories as he grew up in the same Hood in Canada as Zo.
One day they got on the subject of neighborhood bullies and Beckles said the second toughest kid in his neighborhood growing up was Alonzo Highsmith
.....But the toughest and meanest of all, the one everyone was scared of, was Alonzo's sister. said she use to knock dudes teeth out their mouth
on the reg.

After this video:
NCAA fine tooth combing through the recent investigation to make sure they didn’t miss anything.

Advertisement
Back