Marcus Carey RIP

• Thread starter Deleted member 25719
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25719

Heard From Kelvin Harris and Gino that Marcus Carey, a safety from the 89-93 teams passed away. He was from Riviera Beach, won multiple letters at UM and was a great teammate and friend to all who knew him. Marcus was also a Miami Dade police officer. May he Rest In Peace and may his family and friends be blessed with strength in the coming days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Advertisement
****, sad news. He was a nice safety for those Miami team. @Bernie 2-0, thanks for the news, I appreciate the old Canes a lot! May he rest with the angels.

Was he retired at the time? Not to be intrusive, what was the cause? Thank you.

Advertisement
RIP Marcus. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

Wasn't it Marcus Carey that tackled the Syracuse TE short of the goaline to preserve the win in the Carrier Dome back in 1992?

Advertisement
9B992F4B-3098-48D9-A1AA-AED338827458.jpeg

Read that he was 49.

I remember when we recruited him. He was a WR in high school. We tried to get his teammate Darren Studstill too who went to WVU to play QB.

Advertisement
Here's some ProCanes history on Marcus Carey. Undrafted and unsigned by any NFL or CFL teams in 1994, Carey went on to play DB/WR/KR in the Arena League in 1995. He signed with the Albany Firebirds and was in training camp with them in the spring of 1995 when he was traded, along with QB Bryan Fortay, to the Miami Hooters for pro journeyman QB Fred McNair, the older brother of the late Steve McNair and the current head football coach at his alma mater, Alcorn State. As some here might remember (or have, at least, heard about), Fortay notoriously sued Hurricane HC Dennis Erickson after being benched in favor of future-Heisman winner Gino Toretta at Miami. Recruited to the U by Jimmy Johnson as the top HS QB in the nation, Fortay would transfer to Rutgers where he played in 1992-93 and from where he was selected for the Hula Bowl in 1994. Like Carey, Fortay went undrafted and didn't get a chance as a free agent in the NFL or CFL in 1994, but later signed as a Rookie with Albany - before being traded with Carey to the Hooters. Unlike Carey, who was one and done in the AFL, Fortay went on to play with the Frankfort Galaxy in NFL Europe in 1995 and then returned to the Albany Firebirds for the 1996 spring season, before being waived by Albany in 1997. Now an attorney, Fortay settled his $10 million case against College Football HOFer Erickson in June of 1996. The terms of the settlement were confidential.

Last edited:
RIP Marcus. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

Wasn't it Marcus Carey that tackled the Syracuse TE short of the goaline to preserve the win in the Carrier Dome back in 1992?

so sorry about his passing.

and no, i think that was casey greer

****, sad news. He was a nice safety for those Miami team. @Bernie 2-0, thanks for the news, I appreciate the old Canes a lot! May he rest with the angels.

Was he retired at the time? Not to be intrusive, what was the cause? Thank you.
I am told he passed away from cancer. The guys saw Marcus at the 30th anniversary of the 89 national championship team last year he he was doing great with no signs of any illness. I guess the illness was aggressive and the world has lost a good man and true Hurricane. Life is fragile. RIP Marcus

Advertisement
Back