Mar 5 vs Florida 6pm ACCNX

Advertisement
Advertisement
You win the game in front of you. I’ve not seen anything to indicate going to Arguelles, Radelunas, or Torres would have stopped the bleeding (ie walks) last night.

If we have a lead in the 9th tomorrow I wouldn’t be surprised to see Walters for an inning.
We extended Walters. Are we going to continue to do that during the season? If you combine that with feast or famine offense and the bizarre Carrier experiment...I don't think I need to expand upon the type of effect that poor decision making has.

We extended Walters. Are we going to continue to do that during the season? If you combine that with feast or famine offense and the bizarre Carrier experiment...I don't think I need to expand upon the type of effect that poor decision making has.

If we didn't extend Walters last night and blew the lead with someone else, he wouldn't have helped last night OR tonight. I'm as anti-Gino as anyone, but the guy did what he had to do to win the game in which he had the lead.

Advertisement
Seems fairly clear we are. His first three outings have been 1.2, 2.0, and 2.1 innings respectively. He’s very much being put in the Palm role from last year. You obviously prefer not to put him in games in the 7th, but that requires other relievers to get outs to get him the ball in the 8th. Hold him in reserve last night and we may be down 2-0 right now. I’m more than happy to find areas to criticize Gino (there are many), that’s just not one of them.

Seems fairly clear we are. His first three outings have been 1.2, 2.0, and 2.1 innings respectively. He’s very much being put in the Palm role from last year. You obviously prefer not to put him in games in the 7th, but that requires other relievers to get outs to get him the ball in the 8th. Hold him in reserve last night and we may be down 2-0 right now. I’m more than happy to find areas to criticize Gino (there are many), that’s just not one of them.
Ya, the bigger concern is where the offense will come from when everyone starts walking Yoyo intentionally. And they will IMO.

Surprised Gates isn't getting more of a shot at DH. We have some of the worst two strike ABs w RISP.

Then we are winning the battle to inevitably lose the war. Perhaps the days of starter-setup-closer are a thing of the past, but in my opinion this type of decision making weakens the effectiveness of the pitching staff as a whole.

Ya, the bigger concern is where the offense will come from when everyone starts walking Yoyo intentionally. And they will IMO.

Surprised Gates isn't getting more of a shot at DH. We have some of the worst two strike ABs w RISP.
It’s going to have to be Romero or Burke. I probably slide Burke back to 5th for an another post Yoyo power bat and try Dorian again in the two slot. That doesn’t solve the 6-9 problem though.

Advertisement
Then we are winning the battle to inevitably lose the war. Perhaps the days of starter-setup-closer are a thing of the past, but in my opinion this type of decision making weakens the effectiveness of the pitching staff as a whole.

Just so I understand, you would have preferred to take our chances with someone else with the go-ahead run at the plate? And risk being down 0-2 right now?

I’d argue it’s a symptom of the ineffectiveness of the staff as a whole. Palm has to start going deeper in games. Ziehl, Schlesinger, etc need to throw strikes/get outs in setup. Reverse the games but for our starting pitching (Ligon gets last night’s defense and run support) and we’re not having this conversation, because Walters wasn’t needed until the 8th or 9th with the starter giving you depth. Same problem last year. I think Palm gets there at some point and you can be more choosey with where you extend Walters assuming someone emerges in setup. I do think it’s important to be able to deploy a closer early though when the game situation calls for it.

Advertisement
This. The high-leverage situation isn't always in the 9th inning.
I’ve come to love this approach. It’s becoming more and more popular and I hope JD starts making it part of his plan.

I would also like to experiment with an opener. If we can’t bridge the gap between our starters and Walters, why not at least try it. We gotta find 6 outs somewhere. I think Zeihl would be a decent candidate for the role. When you have kids who have been starters their entire lives and aren’t adjusting well to the bullpen, it’s worth a shot. See if he’s more comfortable having his entire pregame routine. Might even cut down on his walks.

Couldn’t watch last night’s game but it seems from the chatter on here that we reverted back some of our old form. Really don’t want to let the series slip away. Take care of business this afternoon

Advertisement
Back