Manny & the Recruiting Process (formerly Earl Little Jr 1.0)

Advertisement
It’s all good man, you’re a great poster. Just think the simplest explanation makes the most sense. They aren’t communicating with Little because they aren’t high on him.

They’re chasing corners all over the South so I don’t think it’s a lack of effort. It will come down to the evaluation and whether they’re able to close on other targets.
Sounds like Manny is not found of falling into a Pat Surtain 2.0 situation where you get left for bama. Saban is going to try an curb stomp Miami in September after which all the recruiting efforts put into a player like Little Jr. would be rendered moot.

Little Sr. flat said that Jr's choice will come down to production and drafts pick development. Miami will have no players draftable before Little Jr. makes his choice so unless the Little's are swayed by TRob's proteges from USCe being drafted next month and believe that TRob will stay at UM for another 3-4 yrs to develop Little Jr, if not then he is going to BAMA.

Go Canes

Jallean Phillips wasn’t developed here?

I mean our staff did completely rework is body and spent more time here than the few months he was at UCLA
I’d say they did a good job with him, yeah. I think a year under Simpson would be ideal but he’s going in the first so he’s rightfully gone. He played 1 year as a transfer after sitting out a year. We’re not where we need to be with developmental relevance yet but there are bright spots.

Rousseau is the best example for me besides the punter. Manny found him and recognized it. I think edge rushers and TE’s are where we can build and have Bama type success. After that we can build elsewhere - maybe Safety. I’m not thrilled with how the TE’s were used last year though, nor do I believe that they developed the way I was expecting but we’ll see this year how it goes.

Siiiiiiiiigh; I’m referring to ur comment about “right or wrong, u don’t believe he’s high on our board.”

I wasn’t saying u gassed him up; what I’m saying is prior to this new revelation, supposedly the hire TRob was to help us w/ this. Supposedly he was a must get in the class of ‘22. Supposedly he was in our mock class (from a fan standpoint). Not once did I hear he wasn’t high on our boards.........until now. That comment stood out & then I saw the rationalizing thereafter.

But @gogeta4, I see why u thought I was calling u out. I didn’t fully read ur response; I half @&&ed read; but on god, no shade thrown ur way. It was a culmination of post, and it felt like the old days.

My question is, if a highly ranked legacy from one of the best HS football factories in the nation, that’s actually a highly ranked blue chip ain’t highly on our boards, then who?
Watch his film. Throw out rankings and who his pops his and just watch his film.

Advertisement
This basically comes down to does Manny reach out to Little or has the staff basically come to the realization this is not someone they value as much as other recruits on their board. I think this is Pat Surtain 2.0 and those with recruiting experience can see that. Regardless we have an elite coach in Coach Robinson I'm not worried about the secondary. Defensive line and linebacker are the two positions that I'm focusing on.

Who said we’re supposed to ‘beg him‘ for a commitment? Apparently you got the goat cfb coach bothering to call him and the question is why we ain’t trying equally hard. No one sayong it’s about begging. That’s some sour grapes spin.

This is also sour grapes. It’s recruiting. He’s a local 5* at a position of need. You recruit him hard (or don’t at all, I guess). The half assed recruiting sure sounds weak.

It's not sour grapes, your Diaz Derangement Syndrome is clouding your logical faculties. Try to shelve your anti-Diaz sentiment for a second and look at the bigger picture. DVD is an excellent recruiter. T-Rob is both an excellent recruiter and evaluator. He wouldn't have signed on to be in a Rumph situation where Diaz holds his hand and say who can he can recruit and who he can't. There is zero chance he'd have taken the job if he wasn't allowed to recruit who he wanted. Since it doesn't appear that two of Miami's top recruiters are spending a lot of time on Little, one of three things is true.

1. T-Rob is oblivious to a player with Little's talent and is overlooking him (unlikely)
2. Miami wanted Little, but Diaz got the impression that Little Jr is Bama bound and so he's has moved on to other targets (haven't Miami fans complained that we waste time on players who aren't interested, miss out on other good prospects, and end up with plan Z kids who aren't Miami caliber) or
3. Miami did its eval of Little and decided that it likes other prospects better. Bama has him higher on their board. That explains why the GOAT coach called him and Diaz supposedly hasn't.

From what D-Money has indicated, option 3 seems to be the truth of the situation. That's not half-*** recruiting, that's just proper recruiting- focus efforts on the guys that you want. Now, if your argument is then that Miami is making a bad eval and should have Little higher on the board, that's an entirely fair argument. Miami doesn't have a great track record with evaluating CBs. However, T-Rob is supposed to fix that problem. I don't trust at all in Diaz's ability to eval CBs (in the words of one illustrious Canes fan- "not one iota"), but I do trust T-Rob's evals.

If your argument is that Diaz and co. have dropped the ball and he's simply a bad recruiter, I think that's objectively silly (especially as he was picked as the best HC recruiter in the state of Florida by a wide margin by a number of recruiting professionals who aren't pro-Miami). There is nothing to suggest that is the case other than personal enmity. This isn't to say I'm absolutely, incontrovertibly right- there is a scenario where your version of events is true and I'm wrong- if we hear that T-Rob is putting on a full court press and Miami is making a last ditch effort to sway Little, then you win, Diaz is running a Mickey Mouse organization and this is another case of Too Little, Too Late. But until that happens, I'm
going to stick with logic. The recruiting (or lack thereof) is deliberate.

BTW- You seem to think I'm Pro-Diaz. I'm not Pro-Diaz. I'm Anti-Dumb. Pointing out the fallacies in poster's ridiculous arguments may give the impression that I'm Pro-Diaz. I am of the opinion that Miami has been a dumpster fire for so many years that it is going take any coach not named Urban Meyer or Nick Saban a minimum of 3 years (and probably longer) to get the program back on the right track. I'm looking for milestones and benchmarks like Miami landing 5 star players despite a losing record and players who shouldn't declare early sticking around. That establishes to me that players and recruits believe in what Diaz is selling, even if fans don't. The culture needs to change first, the wins will follow. I also want to see a HC who fixes problems. I don't expect perfection yet from a young HC but I expect adaptability. Miami was bad at CBs evals and development so it went out and got one of the best in the biz. So far, I think Diaz is hitting the benchmarks that I think are necessary for rebuilding a program. Acknowledging that doesn't make me Pro-Diaz. Once he stops hitting the benchmarks, I'll say it's time to change.

Last edited:
relly:

you’re coming hard with facts.

can’t fight you on any of it.

Bro; I hate digging this ish up, but it amazed me how remarkably incompetent we’ve been. Maybe we’re not recruiting at a National Championship level, but to struggle in The Coastal?

Peep:

Since 2004 - 2021:

-Miami avg. recruiting class: 15th (12 top 15 classes)

-UNC avg recruiting class: 26th (4 top 15 classes)
Our record: 8-9
UNC has won 1 ACC Coastal

-UVA avg. recruiting class: 43rd (0 top 15 classes)
Our record: 10-7
UVA has won 1 ACC Coastal

-Pitt avg. recruiting class: 38th (0 top 15 classes)
Our record: 7-2
Pitt has won 1 ACC Coastal

-VT avg. recruiting class: 31st (0 top 15 classses)
Our record: 8-9
VT has won 8 ACC Coastal & 4 ACCCG

-GT avg. recruiting class: 48th (1 top 15 classes)
Our record: 9-7
GT has won 4 ACC Coastal & 1 ACCCG

-Duke avg. recruiting class: 59th (0 top 15 classes)
Our record: 13-3
Duke has won 1 Coastal

This is the glaring reality that it ain’t a talent problem here. It’s a coaching competence problem. Sorry for posting this, but we gotta stop w/ a narrative for defending what’s been going on here. No amount of attrition can cause us to struggle this mightily against these **** *** programs.

Advertisement
Nick Saban can make one of my goats a first rounder according to 80 percent of this board. Imagine what he could do with Ivey.
Y’all mfers convinced that this man is like the nfl draft version of Lazarus and sht.

Nick Saban needs the elite players more than the elite players need Nick Saban. And ain’t nobody convincing me otherwise.

Earl mentions his communication with TRob and DVD, and DVD's communication with Earl's wife regarding Jr's recruitment. Says DVD has always been on point. Doesn't really sound like Miami isn't on him...it sounds like Manny is not on him.

Sr. turned the camera to Jr. and asked him when was the last time he talked to Manny. Jr. said Manny hits him up on Snapchat sometimes...last time was last month.

There's a cool story about Todd Bowles being blown away by Little Jr. in there too.

Surtain told Sr. to apply for the db coach job at Miami. Sr. doesnt say if he did or not but kind of alludes to it. Says it's a dream job

Saban, earl sr. and jr had a 45 minute zoom then jr and saban had a 25 minute conversation on coverages

Cristobal and Mullen also talking to Sr., FSU scheduled to have a zoom with him soon. Seemed like he is a fan of Mario. "Mario is on it big time."

Last edited:
He’s a highly ranked local recruit at a position of need. If they evaluated him and he isn’t a priority then no problem. It isn’t the 1st time I’ve heard this.
It's important to realize MANNY doesn't prioritize the position itself... He personally believes the position is all about system fits. NOW it's also important to realize now that the bartender is gone & trob came in I don't know if that's still his stance right now or not. I'd hope it's not otherwise trob is gonna be the next scapegoat.

Nick Saban can make one of my goats a first rounder according to 80 percent of this board. Imagine what he could do with Ivey.
Y’all mfers convinced that this man is like the nfl draft version of Lazarus and sht.

Nick Saban needs the elite players more than the elite players need Nick Saban. And ain’t nobody convincing me otherwise.
Satan ain't no fool. Very rarely does he accept a commitment from a kid who's a reach. He takes kids who have it all at first glance.

Advertisement
Most experts predict Jr to be a sit corner at the next level but the fan base is calling him a must get. I personally think Rodgers, ***ans and Spells are better and would love to land those 3 but the question always becomes why are we chasing out of state better prospects in SEC country and ignoring a highly ranked kid in our back yard? Also, if Saban is chasing him, maybe we should rethink our stance.

Most experts predict Jr to be a sit corner at the next level but the fan base is calling him a must get. I personally think Rodgers, ***ans and Spells are better and would love to land those 3 but the question always becomes why are we chasing out of state better prospects in SEC country and ignoring a highly ranked kid in our back yard? Also, if Saban is chasing him, maybe we should rethink our stance.
Or at least maybe Manny should call the father like Saban did and say hey, we like him too.

Advertisement
That video has this board in a frenzy 😂

Yes. Some of us watched it live but nothing like the frenzy this video had us in...

AB2019CE-0F84-437B-B79C-7D65ACD2C7FA.gif

He gets them though. That’s what matters first and foremost. And if he’s reaching out to parents, as part of that success, shouldn’t Manny be doing the same?

Not everyone in this thread can answer that simple, obvious question.

Wow, that’s a lot of work you did there. I think you’re missing the point completely. Kids like Little, Surtain... are picking Bama because they compete for Natty’s and put multiple kids in the high rounds of the NFL draft year in and year out and we don’t.
Right. Which means excuses over Manny calling or gimmicks are bull****... They are going to Bama because it is Bama and they are on top right now.

Right. Which means excuses over Manny calling or gimmicks are bull****... They are going to Bama because it is Bama and they are on top right now.
Yeah, like I said earlier. If we were winning like Bama, the rings and chain wouldn’t bother people the same way. But we’re not so no one wants to see it.

Advertisement
Back