Manny & the Recruiting Process (formerly Earl Little Jr 1.0)

@RVACane I know you asked so I’m tagging you.

This smells as if they value Khamauri and Jacolby way more than Little. Jr can ball no doubt but I believe Jacolby has a high floor and ceiling. I feel Khamauri is also better than Little and I wonder if A) ***ans interest is legit and they have him higher on the board or B) The primary targets are Rogers/Jacolby and being that this is a deep, deep class especially at S/DE that they’ll only take 2 so there’s a ton of room to load up of S and DE. I would lean towards the latter.

Advertisement
so 4-5 pages of back and forth cause another kid and his parent complaining about school/coach not showing enough love/attention.

Ethenic, maybe Saban is trying harder, I don’t know, I don’t have ten thousand words in this thread desperately trying to make a point, if you want to get into weird shlt.

Or I’m not a porster with a misspelled player’s name, if you want to get into some really weird and stupid shlt.

I’m just trying to bring up the other side of the coin in that there are other possibilities here other than rank incompetence by the head coach. I know that’s what you desperately want it to indicate, and maybe that’s it. Maybe he’s a complete boob that isn’t contacting his top CB candidate.

But the difference between you and me is that I allow for other possibilities based on what’s actually known, and I don’t root for the worst possible outcome.
That’s silly. The difference is I can read and you just project onto others. I haven’t declared its rank incompetence at all. I’ve allowed clearly, multiple times that it could be an eval issue. If you think otherwise you’re failing to even bother try to participate in the discussion you’re whining about.

Eventually the rest of y’all are gonna come to realize Manny is a mix of clout chaser and politician. Wants all the credit and all of the attention, while being a master deflector of all criticism.

Every offseason is re election season for Manny and the season is his term. All the promises and shiny toys are brought out on the campaign trail, only to do nothing with them during his term.

He fired all Richt’s guys, but kept all of his. Blames the culture he was apart of building for 4 years on Richt. Blames his assistants and not his system when the defense gets embarrassed.

Idk what more you need to see. It’s right in front of your faces. You just gotta open your eyes.
Brodie got no clue what he talking about. But this narrative will get pushed hard on this site, just because of a few ppl who have no pulse of the program get in y’all head. Even this dude taking about politics has nothing to do with Manny and everything to do with his dad. You educated see it.

Advertisement
When we hire someone qualified to lead the program to success we gone have a chance. Until then, we gone get what we been getting.
Sucks so bad like I kind of like Manny but he wet behind the ears. He trying but he isn't the guy....I get people want to root for him but he's not the one man. We need a seller a closer and an eval dog at HC who knows how to be a CEO.

When did I hype up Little before? My stance on him has been the same: he's a good player, doesn't seem to be elite but I'll know more after seeing him up close at camps.

Other corners on the board are getting a lot of love. Maybe TRob doesn't like him. Whether that's the right evaluation is another issue. Like I said, I want to see him up close.

Siiiiiiiiigh; I’m referring to ur comment about “right or wrong, u don’t believe he’s high on our board.”

I wasn’t saying u gassed him up; what I’m saying is prior to this new revelation, supposedly the hire TRob was to help us w/ this. Supposedly he was a must get in the class of ‘22. Supposedly he was in our mock class (from a fan standpoint). Not once did I hear he wasn’t high on our boards.........until now. That comment stood out & then I saw the rationalizing thereafter.

But @gogeta4, I see why u thought I was calling u out. I didn’t fully read ur response; I half @&&ed read; but on god, no shade thrown ur way. It was a culmination of post, and it felt like the old days.

My question is, if a highly ranked legacy from one of the best HS football factories in the nation, that’s actually a highly ranked blue chip ain’t highly on our boards, then who?

You guys gotta stop with that. Make the people accountable where u should. We haven't had rings for ever for a multitude of reasons. Reason numero uno in a landslide is coaching and evals. We've had plenty of talent coming through here in the last 20 years yet we've had **** results throughout. Look at the coaches we've had and their staffs. When are we gonna stop relying on dudes who barely played this game to teach elite athletes how to bring out the apex predator in them? Trob was a football guy. He wasn't the greatest by a mile but he took to coaching and understands how to communicate his points with this generation. I'm praying dvd gets a lil more vocal, a LOT more serious and changed up that homeboy approach he shares with these kids. I love my coaches to death but I'll be damned if anyone of them wanted to be best friends and kick the bobo while we were around them. Coaches are parental figures that you should have a healthy amount of fear and respect for. That's it on that relationship at this level.
DSD:

I don’t disagree, and i am not in any way, giving a pass to poor coaching or team management. Accountability is all. And we have been poorly served for far too long, in all the areas that matter.

But what i am saying is on top of that, we have been hurt by the bag game. It is not the sole factor, I concede that, but when you combine it with the errors you aptly described, it’s been a part of the problem

Why wouldn’t we want a skilled cornerback with a versatile skill set in a position of absolute need? How does this make him less useful to us, but more useful to Alabama? I don’t understand this.
At Bama, he’d probably be used inside as a slot corner, which is a position that they’ve utilized to highlight dudes with that unique skillset that Junior possesses. For Bama, it’s really a hybrid Corner/safety position that was where Minkah fit in perfectly when he was there. That’s pretty much the type of player Jr is, and ultimately where he’d probably reach his fullest potential.

If he came here, I wouldn’t expect us to rebuild the defense around having a slot corner out there basically every snap. That means he’d be an outside corner, where he’d be fine, but I could see us thinking that there are other guys we might prefer just as I could definitely understand him wanting to go somewhere who will use him better. He’s probably a better overall player than other guys we might be recruiting at corner, but in terms of fit, it may just not be a match.

Advertisement
Great show and good stuff here. This seems to be the take of a few on here, including D$. It’s odd that we wouldn’t want a local kid at a position of need that Bama wants. Do you think our coaches did their evals and think he’s overrated or there are other kids we are on who are rated lower but better? Last year we were on Kinchens at Safety. Collier had the higher rating but our coaches felt otherwise. Is it a similar thing?
I think Little is a really good player with a super high ceiling, especially as a pro, so I personally wouldn’t compare it to the Kam/Corey thing. I’d guess that it’s really more of a scheme thing. Like if I’m him, I go to Bama tomorrow and just become Minkah. I say just let me do what he did. That’s an express ticket to the league. If he comes here, there are a lot more question marks.

Meanwhile, from our perspective, there might be guys that TRob likes who have a different skillset, and some of those guys would have more interest in us because they want to be that pure outside guy who TRob has been able to place in the league pretty well.

Advertisement
Zion, Mallory, Jordan, Shaq, Willis, McIntosh, Homer, Dee Jay just tic name a few in the last few seasons.

All are or were excellent to dominant college players.
Once again you don’t answer the question or address the statement, you throw a bunch of deceptive splatter on the wall to deflect. We haven’t had a kid taken in the 1st or 2nd round of the NFL Draft since David Njoku in 2017. You think Shaq and Pinckney ended up how they should have?

And you’re dumbvoting me? Smh

I’m being honest. Aside from GR, the best talent we’ve developed is a punter. The kicker came here as a 1 year Grad transfer.

Are you talking about in the Manny Diaz era (to include his time as DC?) How do you define developed? Is it taking a 3 star and getting him drafted or having a 4-5 star live up to their potential? You can't just say that a 4 star did well only because of natural talent and good coaching wasn't involved.

For the sake of argument, let's look at players who fans initially labeled as busts but showed significant improvement year by year.

1. Sheldrick Redwine (3 star)
2. Mike Jackson (3 star)
3. Jaquan Johnson (4 star)- my opinion he became a better player while at Miami, it wasn't natural talent
4. Chris Herndon (3 star)
5. RJ McIntosh (3 star)
6. Braxton Berrios (3 star) was absolutely savaged by fans for most of his career, then was the best WR by far his senior year.
7. Norton (3 star) : Note- RJ and Norton developing shouldn't be a shocker, Kuligowski was a good teacher
8. Njoku (3 star)- 1st round pick
9 Rayshawn Jenkins (3 star)- Never thought he'd be drafted, but he was taken in the 4th (2nd cane off the board)

I don't want to go further back than that as some will argue that Golden's staff should get the credit for developing those players. Anyways, Zion Nelson's turnaround is arguably just as impressive as GR's; GR was still being recruited by some big time schools whereas Nelson barely had offers from G5s; he stunk it up his 1st year but really showed a lot of development his 2nd year.

Are you just being a supermope or are you do you seriously think that GR is the only player that Miami has developed? And bro, if your bar for "development" is turning a 3 star recruit into a 1st round pick, then at the risk of being banned, I'm going to tell you that is plain retarded.

Advertisement
Y’all diagnosing this from every angle about Manny/Saban and Earl Sr., this that and the other and 101 assumptions..

Meanwhile Pat Surtain Jr. is about to go 1st round outta Bama whose father happens to be Earl Jr’s head coach at American Heritage. Bama is the safe guaranteed pick, Miami is the more unsure gamble decision, even with TRob here.

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a more obvious situation unfolding in recruiting. It’s right in front of our faces being yelled from the rooftop.

Are you talking about in the Manny Diaz era (to include his time as DC?) How do you define developed? Is it taking a 3 star and getting him drafted or having a 4-5 star live up to their potential? You can't just say that a 4 star did well only because of natural talent and good coaching wasn't involved.

For the sake of argument, let's look at players who fans initially labeled as busts but showed significant improvement year by year.

1. Sheldrick Redwine (3 star)
2. Mike Jackson (3 star)
3. Jaquan Johnson (4 star)- my opinion he became a better player while at Miami, it wasn't natural talent
4. Chris Herndon (3 star)
5. RJ McIntosh (3 star)
6. Braxton Berrios (3 star) was absolutely savaged by fans for most of his career, then was the best WR by far his senior year.
7. Norton (3 star) : Note- RJ and Norton developing shouldn't be a shocker, Kuligowski was a good teacher
8. Njoku (3 star)- 1st round pick
9 Rayshawn Jenkins (3 star)- Never thought he'd be drafted, but he was taken in the 4th (2nd cane off the board)

I don't want to go further back than that as some will argue that Golden's staff should get the credit for developing those players. Anyways, Zion Nelson's turnaround is arguably just as impressive as GR's; GR was still being recruited by some big time schools whereas Nelson barely had offers from G5s; he stunk it up his 1st year but really showed a lot of development his 2nd year.

Are you just being a supermope or are you do you seriously think that GR is the only player that Miami has developed? And bro, if your bar for "development" is turning a 3 star recruit into a 1st round pick, then at the risk of being banned, I'm going to tell you that is plain retarded.
Wow, that’s a lot of work you did there. I think you’re missing the point completely. Kids like Little, Surtain... are picking Bama because they compete for Natty’s and put multiple kids in the high rounds of the NFL draft year in and year out and we don’t.

At Bama, he’d probably be used inside as a slot corner, which is a position that they’ve utilized to highlight dudes with that unique skillset that Junior possesses. For Bama, it’s really a hybrid Corner/safety position that was where Minkah fit in perfectly when he was there. That’s pretty much the type of player Jr is, and ultimately where he’d probably reach his fullest potential.

If he came here, I wouldn’t expect us to rebuild the defense around having a slot corner out there basically every snap. That means he’d be an outside corner, where he’d be fine, but I could see us thinking that there are other guys we might prefer just as I could definitely understand him wanting to go somewhere who will use him better. He’s probably a better overall player than other guys we might be recruiting at corner, but in terms of fit, it may just not be a match.

Thank you for the response.

Maybe the fault is with me. I guess I just don’t see the distinction between someone that would be a very good slot corner and someone that would be a very good outside corner, if they are good athlete, have a good cover skills and can tackle.

I understand they are different positions, but the skill sets are very similar. It’s not like the difference between a safety and a corner, to me the skill sets are more interchangeable. But maybe the differences elude me.

Wow, that’s a lot of work you did there. I think you’re missing the point completely. Kids like Little, Surtain... are picking Bama because they compete for Natty’s and put multiple kids in the high rounds of the NFL draft year in and year out and we don’t.

Just my opinion, but I don't think Miami should be begging a legacy for a commitment. If he's heavily leaning Bama because he thinks he has a better chance of getting to the league from Bama than Miami, no chat or texts from Diaz is going to change that. Bama is going to have a ton of 1st round picks this year. It's impressive. I can't argue against that. Miami will have a couple of 1st round picks too. Now is Miami going to have as many 1st rounders as Bama? No. But are they going to have more 1st rounders this year than the VAST majority of teams in CFB? Absolutely. Most teams don't have one pick, let alone two. It's not Bama numbers but it should demonstrate to recruits that they can still make to the NFL from Miami. If Miami won more games, we'd likely have even more picks. Of course it becomes a catch-22. You can't win until you get top recruits, you can't get top recruits unless you win. One would think the exception to the rule would be the legacies, who wouldn't be as concerned about the W/L record and would instead want to make their own mark in Cane history. You have non legacy 5 stars like Williams who say they want to build something and make the crib great. Doesn't seem like Little Jr cares much about that- it's a business decision for him just as it is with lots of recruits. It's unfortunate, as I'd like for a legacy to care about the school as much as I do.

Advertisement
Back