Manny & the Recruiting Process (formerly Earl Little Jr 1.0)

Advertisement
Maybe. But there's a difference between Manny's approach of letting other guys set things up and then going from there, and Saban being personally engaged with the kid for a longer period of time already.

I know we hear we're on some kids early, but I don't hear much that MANNY is on them early. Not even judging whether he shouldn't be or it should be others. But there are choices involved.

I'd like to see him get better as a head coach and manager of recruiting.
Very few stages manny is heavily involved in except when on camera. He's more support other than his evals. But he closes nothing... That waskiwy wabbit

Ok. I’m defensive. But, again, what makes your “logic” right? I mean, why else rebut me, unless you think you’re right and I am wrong? That’s usually how discussions work. And I’m not sweeping anything under the rug by saying I don’t necessarily believe every single word that Earl Little Sr. says about the nuts and bolts of his son’s recruitment.

Again, It’s gonna be tough for me to believe that Manny just forgets to contact a top player on his board. If so, how did he manage to sign two of the top 10 players in the country last cycle?
I don't know what to say. Nothing new about these comments re Manny. When you hear things over and over, eventually you notice a pattern.

Again, I don't think this has anything to do with him forgetting anything. It's about how he CHOOSES to spend him time. You seem to think all P5 coaches have the same view on this topic and approach recruiting similarly. I don't. I think there are very different ways to approach recruiting. That's part of why I'm keenly interested in HOW Manny does it.

Manny's also a really different dude than Saban. There's zero reason to think Manny's got the same approach to things as Saban.

Very few stages manny is heavily involved in except when on camera. He's more support other than his evals. But he closes nothing... That waskiwy wabbit
That's what I'm worried about.

I know folks here will say you're being negative, but in truth what you say is what I sense about Manny and I don't see much that would tell me there's more to the story.

I hope he learns and adapts, but people rarely change fundamentally at this stage of life. Saban is a disciplined, meticulous dude. He's clearly got a very different personality and psychological profile from Manny. Anyone who expects Manny to manage recruiting or even relationships, generally, in the way Saban does is not thinking this through at all. Not pointed at you, just at the board discussion generally....

Things I don't believe:
Saban is noticeably outworking Diaz
Parents want their kids to "get away"
Miami offering a kid first matters
Loyalty to "The Crib" is a factor
Bagman is main factor why kids leave

Things I do believe:
Winning championships sells
Playing in almighty $EC sells
Bama's NFL track record sells
Miami's irrelevance is glaring
Plan B - Bama✔ Plan A - Miami🚫
Anyone who legit compares anything we do to ANYTHING bama does right now is setting themselves up for disappointment. Ill give you a fact though. Saban does next to nothing until late in the game when recruiting season really kicks in. All the established schools recruit late in the cycle. Not before. Now is about establishing relationships as position coaches for kids a couple years or more out. Our problem is we can't grasp elite kids require early evals, decisive evals and sticking to them. Our wishy washy ways lead kids in opposite directions. When u don't have the results to back up things you get left behind.

Advertisement
That's what I'm worried about.

I know folks here will say you're being negative, but in truth what you say is what I sense about Manny and I don't see much that would tell me there's more to the story.

I hope he learns and adapts, but people rarely change fundamentally at this stage of life. Saban is a disciplined, meticulous dude. He's clearly got a very different personality and psychological profile from Manny. Anyone who expects Manny to manage recruiting or even relationships, generally, in the way Saban does is not thinking this through at all. Not pointed at you, just at the board discussion generally....
Truth is simply the truth my brother. It's not positive,it's not negative,it simply is...

Given the current environment, his best choice is to give it two years here and then transfer if needed. Then he can't say he didn't try.

DIdn't we just sign two 5* on defense this past cycle and Jake Garcia??? Like how do yall know Manny is not involved with Rodgers, Fegans, Bissainthe, Stewart, Lyons the QB Jacurri Brown...like the head coach doesn't recruit every kid and maybe this kid isnt as high for Manny and staff and we will find out soon enough if thats the right decision...but of course yall have to push yall negative agendas every chance yall get....have at it tho

I don't know what to say.
Could’ve stopped there... if you weren’t so defensive ;)
Nothing new about these comments re Manny. When you hear things over and over, eventually you notice a pattern.

Again, I don't think this has anything to do with him forgetting anything. It's about how he CHOOSES to spend him time. You seem to think all P5 coaches have the same view on this topic and approach recruiting similarly. I don't. I think there are very different ways to approach recruiting. That's part of why I'm keenly interested in HOW Manny does it.

Manny's also a really different dude than Saban. There's zero reason to think Manny's got the same approach to things as Saban.
Or... confirmation bias.

I never said manny does anything like Nick, nor do I have a view on how all P5 coaches approach recruiting. I, honestly, have no idea how college football coaches recruit. There would seem to be one fundamental aspect to recruiting, though (no matter who’s doing it) - contact. Is Saban, currently, contacting the Little’s more than Manny? Sure. I wouldn’t doubt that. Saban is, after all, the greatest college football coach of all time - so it might follow that he is one of the greatest recruiters of all time. Manny, certainly, is not. That said, AGAIN, you won’t convince me that Diaz hasn’t made any contact with the kid since X. I just don’t buy it. Sue me.

Unless, as others have suggested, for whatever reason, Jr. just isn’t very high on the board. Which could be one of the “maybes” I referenced in my first post, which you disagreed with.

Advertisement
yea sounds like

Khamauri Rodgers
Fegans
Spells
Singletary

maybe even Mullen, Ryan Turner, or Henderson brothers are higher

🐸☕

DIdn't we just sign two 5* on defense this past cycle and Jake Garcia??? Like how do yall know Manny is not involved with Rodgers, Fegans, Bissainthe, Stewart, Lyons the QB Jacurri Brown...like the head coach doesn't recruit every kid and maybe this kid isnt as high for Manny and staff and we will find out soon enough if thats the right decision...but of course yall have to push yall negative agendas every chance yall get....have at it tho
Your post is an example of why it's hard to have discussions around here. Because folks like you think every discussion is some needed opportunity to attack everyone who isn't enough of a slurper.

No one has asserted what Manny is or isn't doing elsewhere. Certainly not with *certainty*. We're having this discussion because a top local prospect at a position of dire need who happens to be a Cane legacy is being recruited by Saban, and there's a recent interview with his dad (Cane) that sheds a bit of light on what's going on. So people are discussing it. Because this is a recruiting board, and the off-season. No need for you to be defensive. Maybe Manny's this on the ball Saban like recruiter. Maybe not. You're free to think what you want. But if you can't wrap your mind around why others may be interested in the topic, or even skeptical of Manny as a recruiter, then you're not being honest with yourself. This has nothing to do with 'negative agendas.'

Bro, I’ve said this for a while:

Tracy might not have had a long NFL career due to physical limitations, but we did ruin him.

I point to his sophomore yr; dude made an unbelievable instinctual read against UVA by coming off his man, jumping a route for the pick 6. 1st play of the game, too. My man was celebrating w the team, comes to the sidelines & D’No rips him on the sidelines for “free lancing.”

Tracy had a helluva sophomore yr, but my man was literally never the same after that. The whole “do ur job & don’t free lance” mantra under Golden hurt a lot of guys.
He made some instinct playa but I think if he went to UF it would be the same thing IMO at least.

Since our coaches can’t comment on their recruiting, it’s a catch 22. Also have you looked into the fact whether coaches are supposed to be contacting recruits or not? That would add a lot of context to what is being said. In the end, I think it’s a done deal with this kid.
All good points. I do not believe that we are getting Little based on nothing but we’ve seen this before as @423Hurricane said. We may very well not be able to reach out right now either

I do think that we need to be timely and diligent though and check the boxes. If Saban reached out, I don’t want us doing that after the fact with a top local kid at a position of need.

Advertisement
Could’ve stopped there... if you weren’t so defensive ;)

Or... confirmation bias.

I never said manny does anything like Nick, nor do I have a view on how all P5 coaches approach recruiting. I, honestly, have no idea how college football coaches recruit. There would seem to be one fundamental aspect to recruiting, though (no matter who’s doing it) - contact. Is Saban, currently, contacting the Little’s more than Manny? Sure. I wouldn’t doubt that. Saban is, after all, the greatest college football coach of all time - so it might follow that he is one of the greatest recruiters of all time. Manny, certainly, is not. That said, AGAIN, you won’t convince me that Diaz hasn’t made any contact with the kid since X. I just don’t buy it. Sue me.

Unless, as others have suggested, for whatever reason, Jr. just isn’t very high on the board. Which could be one of the “maybes” I referenced in my first post, which you disagreed with.
First, no one here has even tried to convince you that Diaz 'hasn't made any contact with the kid.' That's a ridiculous strawman and a great example of why discussions here are impossible. Talk about confirmation bias! You're inventing the theory you're trying to disprove.

Second, I think you miss the point of recruiting, at least as I talk about it. Saban may be the best CFB coach of all time, but it doesn't take greatness to have a disciplined process for recruiting and evals. That should be table stakes. Greatness is what results when you put the right processes in place, and make great decisions along the way, and bring the right people around you, and all goes well. It becomes path dependent. But that's an aside.

What we're talking about here is partly what's meant by INFRASTRUCTURE. Does Manny have the people and processes in place to make kids feel contacted and kept up with appropriately. You don't have to be Saban to hit the pavement and use your legs. Does Manny have the people and processes in place to make sure that they know how and when Manny should personally be involved (as opposed to others) ... and to make sure he is, and does what's needed. Manny's a busy guy. It's not supposed to be up to him to remember who to call, and when. He's supposed to design a process so that these things get done consistently, and effectively. If he hasn't, the failing isn't on anyone other than him as HC. It's not an Earl Little Jr. issue to me. Heck, Maybe D$ is right and UM just doesn't want him that much. We'll see. But I've been talking about recruiting processes, evaluation processes and infrastructure on this site for a decade, and on other sites like this for two decades. Not because I want to be right. Because I want to see the program run well, and get back to where it belongs.

They are making this way too difficult. Slow playing a legacy, at a top local program, who isn’t a scrub is beyond idiotic. This is just bad optics all the way around.

with two blue chip teammates in the same cycle :qr12zehp37hu.jpg:

So word in the streets in sfla streets is that this isn't the same Miami we once loved. I said years ago that bad hires would ruin that legacy and it seems tarnished. I can't even argue against it.....sucks that we became this regular *** football program. Also I hope LT and JW develop cause I get alarmed when we win big battles like the Tracy Howard's and get blamed for developing....when @Ethnicsands said 100 times it's the evals. How much did the developing schools pursue those two kids? Don't tell me UF cause they suck and UGA sucks now too lol. I get nervous when it's us winning the arthur browns of the world then they do absolutely nothing.

Talk me off a ledge please. I hate that saying and it breaks my heart that people who played at UM and beloved players and the streets are saying it's not the UM we once loved. That means IMO something up top is different and the real football people know something the average fan (us) doesnt

What gets me more upset is they send them to bama the fuqin KKK. The worst racist POS program ever someone tell these kids man wake the fuq up. But money buys all so.

Advertisement
Anyone who legit compares anything we do to ANYTHING bama does right now is setting themselves up for disappointment. Ill give you a fact though. Saban does next to nothing until late in the game when recruiting season really kicks in. All the established schools recruit late in the cycle. Not before. Now is about establishing relationships as position coaches for kids a couple years or more out. Our problem is we can't grasp elite kids require early evals, decisive evals and sticking to them. Our wishy washy ways lead kids in opposite directions. When u don't have the results to back up things you get left behind.

this.

if anyone thinks Saban is texting some HS sophomore each week, asking how things went in homeroom, .... then you have ZERO clue how Saban (or recruiting) really operates.

HOWEVER, for many, (not all but a lot), of the top prospects in South Florida, the bag matters. It makes a difference, and has made a difference since the days of Eddie Sapp dropping cash for Bobby Bowden. The bag game has become more sophisticated, but it's still there.

Ask @Liberty City El ..... If you look at the past 5-10 years, and the number of (KEY) South Florida kids we lost because we didn't pay, you'd never stop throwing up. Ask him, he's as close to what happens as anyone. Not all, but definitely enough to make a difference between earning rings, and banging your head against a wall.

Last edited:
Wow! @Canes Legacy @bradtejeda

First, great show.
2nd, for those who missed it, Earl Little, SR’s talked to Saban but not Manny? Manny texted Jr last month. Saban breaks down film. Meanwhile over at Manny’s place - all crickets.

smh

Same shît I heard from someone in the know and tied to a recruitment about a top recruit we lost recently. Other head coaches get involved and help recruit the big star kids while ours - not so much.

Apparently does not have time to get on the phone with a former UM player about his son (who is a stud recruit at a position of need).
Adds defensive playcalling to his list of job responsibilities.
:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

I find this hard to believe. Anybody really believe that Little Jr., a Cane legacy in our own backyard, a top CB target and goes to a local top talent high school, and we have two elite DB recruiters on staff, and the kid isn't getting enough attention from us? There's obviously much more to this story.

Your post is an example of why it's hard to have discussions around here. Because folks like you think every discussion is some needed opportunity to attack everyone who isn't enough of a slurper.

No one has asserted what Manny is or isn't doing elsewhere. Certainly not with *certainty*. We're having this discussion because a top local prospect at a position of dire need who happens to be a Cane legacy is being recruited by Saban, and there's a recent interview with his dad (Cane) that sheds a bit of light on what's going on. So people are discussing it. Because this is a recruiting board, and the off-season. No need for you to be defensive. Maybe Manny's this on the ball Saban like recruiter. Maybe not. You're free to think what you want. But if you can't wrap your mind around why others may be interested in the topic, or even skeptical of Manny as a recruiter, then you're not being honest with yourself. This has nothing to do with 'negative agendas.'
You still don't get it and you're being emotional because the kid is a legacy and you think he's a top talent, but maybe Manny doesnt or maybe we have other players rated higher If we land Khamauri Rodgers at a position of need will you still cry about this? You're saying I should be skeptical of Manny as a recruiter when I also gave you the kids he was involved with and landed not even 2 months ago but as soon as anyone gives credit youre automatically a slurper that shows me yall just looking for anything to hate on Manny about...we havent even lost the kid yet......I can get that Saban see's something that Manny doesnt see and maybe thats why Saban is the goat but this has just turned into another Manny sucks thread and that's fine you can have your opinion on who we should recruit or not

Advertisement
Back