Manny & the Recruiting Process (formerly Earl Little Jr 1.0)

Got it. Your assumptions are correct because... reasons. Everyone else’s guesses are just wrong.

I’m not saying Manny is going to out recruit Saban, ever. But I have a hard time falling for the whole Manny is a bumbling fool and just forgets to recruit players a/b (while simultaneously connecting with/signing players y/z).
I haven’t said my assumptions are more right than others. That’s you being defensive. I actually pointed out the possibilities and logic, however, rather than trying to sweep the issue under the rug by assuming it away.

As for Manny ‘forgetting’ how to recruit, I guess you’d have to show how we know he was ever all that good at it for the ‘forget’ conceit to be relevant here.

Advertisement
Some of these takes are pretty funny, as if Little really needed an excuse to go to Bama over Miami. Maybe the truth is Manny just ain't actively recruiting the kid.

More dopey ****e from you. I'm not crapping on all SoFla recruits. I am pointing out that this phenomenon is prevalent with SoFla recruits. They aren't all bad, they aren't all the problem.

But for the individuals who pull this kind of crap, it's wrong. It's hypocritical and one-sided.

Yeah, you're "looking for ways we can improve". What a load of crap.
:roll-canes2:

Cool, thanks 4 the clarification!

Sure. And I wouldn’t be shocked one bit if the kid goes to Bama based on their recent track record so it may not matter but we still have to do the minimums.

It’s also not the first top recruit I’ve heard it about from someone connected to a recruitment concerning other HC’s playing an active role in outreach. The father says he’s heard from Saban and not Manny. Maybe that’s an area to work on???
I have the same perspective about Manny as you do. I want him to succeed not all for his sake, but mainly for the sake of the program.

Anyway, maybe there’s a reason Manny hasn’t reached out to him. Until I hear from the horses mouth - in this case Manny or whoever the primary recruiter is - I’ll reserve judgement one way or the other. Additionally, rarely, if ever, do we hear from a HC as to why a certain recruit was/wasn’t recruited. So we typically only hear one side of the story.

Advertisement
I haven’t said my assumptions are more right than others. That’s you being defensive. I actually pointed out the possibilities and logic, however, rather than trying to sweep the issue under the rug by assuming it away.

As for Manny ‘forgetting’ how to recruit, I guess you’d have to show how we know he was ever all that good at it for the ‘forget’ conceit to be relevant here.
Ok. I’m defensive. But, again, what makes your “logic” right? I mean, why else rebut me, unless you think you’re right and I am wrong? That’s usually how discussions work. And I’m not sweeping anything under the rug by saying I don’t necessarily believe every single word that Earl Little Sr. says about the nuts and bolts of his son’s recruitment.

Again, It’s gonna be tough for me to believe that Manny just forgets to contact a top player on his board. If so, how did he manage to sign two of the top 10 players in the country last cycle?

I have the same perspective about Manny as you do. I want him to succeed not all for his sake, but mainly for the sake of the program.

Anyway, maybe there’s a reason Manny hasn’t reached out to him. Until I hear from the horses mouth - in this case Manny or whoever the primary recruiter is - I’ll reserve judgement one way or the other. Additionally, rarely, if ever, do we hear from a HC as to why a certain recruit was/wasn’t recruited. So we typically only hear one side of the story.
@DMoney says he doesn’t think Little Jr is high on our board. If that’s the case then that would explain it though I’d like to hear from others as well on this.

Neither has 98% of the rest of D1 schools.
Yeah the 98% of the schools who aren't winning these recruiting battles. To get into the 2% were going to need to start winning them and legacy in our own backyard seems like a good spot to start.

I don't watch games and follow recruiting with anything less than championship expectations.

As I posted, Manny has been a better secondary recruiter vs. primary. He got involved w/ J Williams, Chantz, DJ Johnson, Franklin, Hall, & Garcia, but more specifically, Garcia, Franklin, & J Will as a HC. Yet, Sr is saying Jr has had minor communication from Diaz??

Listen, I’m no insider; but this seems kinda off. I can’t imagine this kid being a priority, but we’ve had little contact, especially from Diaz. If true, and if @RVACane ppls r reiterating this, as well, then wtf? This is CB1 on the board, no?

Anyways, let’s let it play out a little more, first. Could be a parent that’s sending smoke signals to us to get more involved than what we have. Hopefully
This may be the difference. He may be cb1 ON THE BOARD(cis) but not on the coaches board.

He obviously is a target and has offer,etc..but this is reallly the evaluation period.

Advertisement
If Earl Sr. wants his kid recruited harder, and truly wants him a Cane, why not reach out to DVD or another alumni he knows and just tell them? Why go on a podcast? I also think he's just setting up the excuse for his kid going elsewhere.... Whatever happens, I'm sure the Canes will be fine.
Earl knows DVD as well. This is probably just a lifeline telling us to get more involved. I honestly dont think he is coming AT THIS MOMENT. But i also dont see him as a James Williams type recruit where he is program changing or anything.

This feels like Marco Wilson 2.0... might not be the best prospect or top of our board but a kid we should definitely go after and try and get. If Saban wants him, he's good enough for us. Simple as that. The last thing I want is this kid to be a player at Bama and we have to ***** and moan for 3 years about why we didn't land him. Recruit him hard and see how it goes.

Kid may very well go to Bama and it may very well be a smokescreen but we still need to cover the same bases that I know other HC’s, at better and worse programs, are covering. We can’t control anything but our own efforts

Since our coaches can’t comment on their recruiting, it’s a catch 22. Also have you looked into the fact whether coaches are supposed to be contacting recruits or not? That would add a lot of context to what is being said. In the end, I think it’s a done deal with this kid.

Think about time frame. Saban has been talking to this kid for a long time. He was playing a longer game than manny. Manny was like;y focused in ‘21 kids and his messed up defensive staff and got distracted. Not hard to understand, but not good enough, either.
We are routinely known for being on kids EARLY..especially locally. **** when got **** lil Earl was like a 6th grader DVD knew him.

I just think its the early period...he'll allow T ROB and DVD to set up their hiearchy board and then go from there. Kind of early for a HC to be fully involved imo. We will see ...i think its alot of nothing this early but.....

Advertisement
You are probably right. But I think we still have to recruit Earl Jr. until the echo of the whistle. You never know when Saban will retire. You never know when a national champ coach/team (Orgeron/LSU) falls apart. Give the kid options, give the kid something to think about.

I don't mind losing once in a while if we fight like **** along the way.

I’m not saying don’t recruit him, but we’re just getting one side of the story here. Our coaches can’t comment in the slightest.

Respectfully, I disagree.

Even if your entire post was correct, that approach only lasts so long. After a couple of years, you can't just pull the "we're gonna make changes in the off-season" approach to fix (or disappear) every problem.

Furthermore, I'd rather have Manny "running for re-election" in the off-season instead of having, say, Dan Mullet doing almost nothing to fix HIS ongoing problems at The Gaytor.

Every head football coach is a politician. Some moreso than others.
I know that it only last so long, but mediocrity tends to last longer here than most places.

Right or wrong, I don't believe Little is very high on our board.

......or maybe it’s this, who knows.

I can’t believe he would be high on Bammer’s board, but not on ours.

Could be he’s high on both boards, or not high on both boards, who knows?

Time will tell. We will know more after signing day December, or early next year.

Advertisement
Since our coaches can’t comment on their recruiting, it’s a catch 22. Also have you looked into the fact whether coaches are supposed to be contacting recruits or not? That would add a lot of context to what is being said. In the end, I think it’s a done deal with this kid.
Coaches not being able to tell “the rest of the story” is why I mentioned we’re only hearing one side of the story. Most definitely a catch 22. We’ve seen this many times in the past where we only get the recruits side and don’t get the coaches take due to restrictions on conversation.

This feels like Marco Wilson 2.0... might not be the best prospect or top of our board but a kid we should definitely go after and try and get. If Saban wants him, he's good enough for us. Simple as that. The last thing I want is this kid to be a player at Bama and we have to ***** and moan for 3 years about why we didn't land him. Recruit him hard and see how it goes.
They are making this way too difficult. Slow playing a legacy, at a top local program, who isn’t a scrub is beyond idiotic. This is just bad optics all the way around.

We are routinely known for being on kids EARLY..especially locally. **** when got **** lil Earl was like a 6th grader DVD knew him.

I just think its the early period...he'll allow T ROB and DVD to set up their hiearchy board and then go from there. Kind of early for a HC to be fully involved imo. We will see ...i think its alot of nothing this early but.....
Maybe. But there's a difference between Manny's approach of letting other guys set things up and then going from there, and Saban being personally engaged with the kid for a longer period of time already.

I know we hear we're on some kids early, but I don't hear much that MANNY is on them early. Not even judging whether he shouldn't be or it should be others. But there are choices involved.

I'd like to see him get better as a head coach and manager of recruiting.

Advertisement
Back