Manny & the Recruiting Process (formerly Earl Little Jr 1.0)

Little’s good enough for Saban to stay in contact with and for Saban to reach out to the father. He’s a known top target for us. Too me, this isn’t a “Manny sucks” bull**** thing, it’s just pointing out where we may need to improve on our end in how we recruit the top kids.
Fair enough. But how come we didn’t hear anything like this re Williams, Williams, Taylor, etc.? Did Diaz just all of a sudden, with this specific kid, forget how to recruit?

Advertisement
Fair enough. But how come we didn’t hear anything like this re Williams, Williams, Taylor, etc.? Did Diaz just all of a sudden, with this specific kid, forget how to recruit?
I have no idea. It’s not limited to this kid but I have also said that Manny may be doing this with others. It also may not matter to others but it’s been pointed out here and in another recruitment. My point is that we need to at least cover the bases.

Advertisement
Think about time frame. Saban has been talking to this kid for a long time. He was playing a longer game than manny. Manny was like;y focused in ‘21 kids and his messed up defensive staff and got distracted. Not hard to understand, but not good enough, either.

I have no idea. It’s not limited to this kid but I have also said that Manny may be doing this with others. It may not matter to others. My point is that we need to at least cover the bases.
It matters to almost all kids. When the best coach in the world is calling you personally and the other guy isn’t so much, you notice.

Advertisement
C'mon Tracy was what he was no one ruined him. Kid was slow

Bro, I’ve said this for a while:

Tracy might not have had a long NFL career due to physical limitations, but we did ruin him.

I point to his sophomore yr; dude made an unbelievable instinctual read against UVA by coming off his man, jumping a route for the pick 6. 1st play of the game, too. My man was celebrating w the team, comes to the sidelines & D’No rips him on the sidelines for “free lancing.”

Tracy had a helluva sophomore yr, but my man was literally never the same after that. The whole “do ur job & don’t free lance” mantra under Golden hurt a lot of guys.

Kid may very well go to Bama and it may very well be a smokescreen but we still need to cover the same bases that I know other HC’s, at better and worse programs, are covering. We can’t control anything but our own efforts
We’re only getting one side of the story here - which happens a lot. I’m not going to suggest that SR isn’t telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth, but until/unless we hear the other side - Manny’s take - it’s all speculation as to what his involvement may or may not be. And even if tbat were to happen, both sides would probably spin it to make it seem the other was the issue.

Think about time frame. Saban has been talking to this kid for a long time. He was playing a longer game than manny. Manny was like;y focused in ‘21 kids and his messed up defensive staff and got distracted. Not hard to understand, but not good enough, either.
That’s possible, I guess. You’re making a ton of assumptions though. Maybe Manny is just a big dunce that gets so distracted he forgets to contact the top corner on his board... or maybe Sr. isn’t being entirely truthful because he’s trying to protect his boy. Or maybe it’s something else.

Advertisement
We’re only getting one side of the story here - which happens a lot. I’m not going to suggest that SR isn’t telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth, but until/unless we hear the other side - Manny’s take - it’s all speculation as to what his involvement may or may not be. And even if tbat were to happen, both sides would probably spin it to make it seem the other was the issue.
Sure. And I wouldn’t be shocked one bit if the kid goes to Bama based on their recent track record so it may not matter but we still have to do the minimums.

It’s also not the first top recruit I’ve heard it about from someone connected to a recruitment concerning other HC’s playing an active role in outreach. The father says he’s heard from Saban and not Manny. Maybe that’s an area to work on???

Little’s good enough for Saban to stay in contact with and for Saban to reach out to the father. He’s a known top target for us. Too me, this isn’t a “Manny sucks” bull**** thing, it’s just pointing out where we may need to improve on our end in how we recruit the top kids.
Not disagreeing, but we can't recruit based on who Bama wants. That already hurt us once with Enos.

Eventually the rest of y’all are gonna come to realize Manny is a mix of clout chaser and politician. Wants all the credit and all of the attention, while being a master deflector of all criticism.

Every offseason is re election season for Manny and the season is his term. All the promises and shiny toys are brought out on the campaign trail, only to do nothing with them during his term.

He fired all Richt’s guys, but kept all of his. Blames the culture he was apart of building for 4 years on Richt. Blames his assistants and not his system when the defense gets embarrassed.

Idk what more you need to see. It’s right in front of your faces. You just gotta open your eyes.

Respectfully, I disagree.

Even if your entire post was correct, that approach only lasts so long. After a couple of years, you can't just pull the "we're gonna make changes in the off-season" approach to fix (or disappear) every problem.

Furthermore, I'd rather have Manny "running for re-election" in the off-season instead of having, say, Dan Mullet doing almost nothing to fix HIS ongoing problems at The Gaytor.

Every head football coach is a politician. Some moreso than others.

Advertisement
That’s possible, I guess. You’re making a ton of assumptions though. Maybe Manny is just a big dunce that gets so distracted he forgets to contact the top corner on his board... or maybe Sr. isn’t being entirely truthful because he’s trying to protect his boy. Or maybe it’s something else.
Maybe. Maybe. Maybe.

Except we’ve heard this story over and over, so there isn’t really reason to doubt it here. It’s possible it’s always false. It’s possible it’s true elsewhere but false here. But the simpler explanation is Saban is really good at his job, understands prioritization and his highest and best uses, and is all over every detail, and Manny is desperately trying to be a DC in addition to a HC, and is reactive, not proactive, not only everywhere else but even in recruiting.

Understood. BUT I can bet you every single dollar I have that if Saban never spoke to Earl Jr but every other coach on Bama wanted him, we would never hear a complaint that Saban hasn't communicated.

Truth.

This is year 100 of SoFla recruits complaining about something Miami does/doesn't do, while never criticizing any other school that does/doesn't do the same exact thing.

Respectfully, I disagree.

Even if your entire post was correct, that approach only lasts so long. After a couple of years, you can't just pull the "we're gonna make changes in the off-season" approach to fix (or disappear) every problem.

Furthermore, I'd rather have Manny "running for re-election" in the off-season instead of having, say, Dan Mullet doing almost nothing to fix HIS ongoing problems at The Gaytor.

Every head football coach is a politician. Some moreso than others.
You’d rather have an off-season champ who fixes his prior season’s on-field messes over a guy who can actually coach? Florida has been top 10 two of the past three years with two bowl victories, and played for the SEC title this past year. He may not be perfect but seems unlikely he’d get curb stomped by FIU, LA Tech, either.

Not disagreeing, but we can't recruit based on who Bama wants. That already hurt us once with Enos.
I’m not even going there but I get that Bama usually chases top talent. We need to do our own evaluations and recruit kids based on who fits our coaches needs. If we’re recruiting a top kid, and other HC’s are sure to make outreach to players and parents, we should check that box as well.

I’m very happy with overall recruiting - aside from LB and CB - but I hope that’s in the past. I just want to see us do what we’re supposed to do.

I can live with a recruit or their parent saying they picked Bama because of Jeudy, Ridley, Surtain... whoever. Sucks but I get it. I don’t want to hear that other HC’s reach out and ours doesn’t in a similar way, qualitatively and time-wise.

Advertisement
Back