Manny just on Fox News

TheMatador

All-ACC
Said season can go on. Said team is in a bubble. Said something like they tell kids they are responsible for who they bring in the bubble. I take that to mean players are responsible for not sabotaging the bubble.

The studio host added that UM has not reported a case of virus. I thought we had a few earlier, before camp.

sounds like no hesitation at the U, all signs point toward us playing.

Advertisement
Said season can go on. Said team is in a bubble. Said something like they tell kids they are responsible for who they bring in the bubble. I take that to mean players are responsible for not sabotaging the bubble.

The studio host added that UM has not reported a case of virus. I thought we had a few earlier, before camp.

Prepare like there’s a season, until there’s not.

Georgia Tech team is staying at the Georgia Tech Hotel and Conference Center. So for now they have been pretty isolated. It will be interesting to see what happens at all the schools when the coeds return to campus. Teams with solid upper class leadership should come through this with no problems at all. Got to have the whole conference healthy, so there is absolutely no reason to shut down this season. Go Canes!

Advertisement
My son got his schedule yesterday. He has in school classes 2 days a week and the rest are on line. The administration just bait and switched the study body. All his friends are ****ed off. University is shutting down all activities. If they find out about large group gatherings outside of campus, those participating are likely to get expelled. If you live on campus, curfew at 10 pm. At least if you live in UV you don't have to check in. Given a mandatory app where each student must check in every day to report symptoms. Bottomline, the whole campus on and off are in a huge bubble so I wouldn't worry about the players.

My son got his schedule yesterday. He has in school classes 2 days a week and the rest are on line. The administration just bait and switched the study body. All his friends are ****ed off. University is shutting down all activities. If they find out about large group gatherings outside of campus, those participating are likely to get expelled. If you live on campus, curfew at 10 pm. At least if you live in UV you don't have to check in. Given a mandatory app where each student must check in every day to report symptoms. Bottomline, the whole campus on and off are in a huge bubble so I wouldn't worry about the players.
Curious what you mean by "bait and switched"? Are you referring to the "hybrid" class schedule? That was always the plan - the University never said ALL classes would be in person. It makes sense this would have to happen to keep the numbers manageable in the actual classrooms.

Or are you referring to the "college experience"?

Advertisement

I'm just wondering what happens when the entire student body returns to campus. Not just UM, but all the schools. If outbreaks on campuses start popping up, it could derail college football. I'm not sure what University Presidents will do if their football teams are ok, but the rest of the students aren't.

Curious what you mean by "bait and switched"? Are you referring to the "hybrid" class schedule? That was always the plan - the University never said ALL classes would be in person. It makes sense this would have to happen to keep the numbers manageable in the actual classrooms.

Or are you referring to the "college experience"?
My son said you are dead wrong. He was given three options. He chose in class. He found out yesterday that only 5 of his 21 credit hours are in class. The rest is online. The kid is double majoring in aero and mathematics with some tough classes. ****** way to learn. He also said it is bull**** about social distancing because his upper level classes have maybe 8 to 10 kids and that can be done in a classroom setting.

Here is what the university released yesterday. Nothing like waiting to the Friday before the start of class. His friends said it is a real ****show over at Mahoney and University Villages. Yes, the kids understand Dade County is locked down on curfew. That being said my son said Instagram is blowing up. Students are ****ed.

August 14, 2020
To the University of Miami Community:

This week, we welcomed new and returning students and their families to our re-imagined campus community. Our campus may have changed, but our ’Canes spirit remains strong.

Monday marks the start of classes. All of our students, domestic and international, and whether attending in person, online, or through hybrid delivery, have the full support of the entire ’Canes community.

As part of the campus reopening strategy, we are providing COVID-19 tests to all students prior to their return to campus. To date, the University has received COVID-19 test results for 6,845 students, with a positivity rate of 0.497%. Students who test positive are required to self-isolate for up to 14 days based on CDC guidelines, and may return to campus once cleared by Student Health Service. We will continue to keep you informed as we adapt and respond to evolving circumstances, while providing an enriching fall semester.

The following is the latest in our series of weekly updates provided to keep you informed about our fall semester reopening.

Top reminders this week
  • All students are required to submit a negative COVID-19 test before returning to campus. Information regarding testing requirements and instructions has been sent directly to students. View complete information regarding the University’s testing requirements, including how to report positive test results conducted outside the University of Miami and self-isolation requirements.
  • Students, faculty, and staff who are on campus are required to use a daily symptom checker and respond appropriately to the guidance it provides.
  • All students, faculty, and staff must complete the We Are One U: COVID-19 Safety Principles online module.
  • Face coverings are mandatory at all times while in public spaces on our campuses, whether indoors or outdoors, and everyone must continue to practice physical distancing and good hand hygiene.

Personalized medicine program for COVID-19
  • The University has developed a personalized medicine program for faculty, on-campus staff, and students to promote the importance of good health and provide 24/7 guidance and care during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read more about the program: faculty/staff | students

Campus life
  • A campus-wide curfew of 10 p.m. will be enforced until further notice. With the exception of any University credit-bearing classes ending past 10 p.m., all resident students must return to and be within their residential college or apartment area by the stated curfew. Non-resident students are expected to follow campus and local curfews. Currently Miami-Dade County has a countywide curfew from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. every day.
  • As an additional safety measure, no food or drinks, with the exception of water, will be permitted while in class in classrooms.
  • The Department of Student Activities and Student Organizations has developed University-wide guidelines for all undergraduate student meetings, programs, and events on campus.

Faculty and staff
  • All staff who are not required to provide direct support to students or patients should continue to work from home and should return to campus only after receiving explicit approval from their manager, dean, or administrative vice president. Your support is appreciated as we continue to limit campus density to allow for physical distancing.
  • Staff working from home should continue to complete the COVID-19 Telecommute Arrangement in Workday for each week that you work from home. Failure to do so could impact University cell phone stipends. For assistance, please review the COVID-19 Telecommute Arrangement in Workday Tip Sheet.
  • Faculty and staff at UHealth and the Miller School of Medicine should continue to follow guidance shared by Medical Campus leadership and review the latest Medical Campus advisories and information.

Research
  • Faculty should continue to follow the Research Standard Operating Procedure , which is based on our robust, evidence-based strategy to reduce disease transmissibility, devised by UHealth clinical leadership and public health experts, and relies on five Ts—testing, tracing, tele-vigilance, tracking, and teamwork—to minimize new exposure and spread of infection. One notable upcoming change to the research SOP will be the ability to add undergraduate students to research activities under specific conditions and requirements; we ask that this be delayed until after Labor Day.

Our careful and thoughtful approach to reopening campus is rooted in following the Four Pillars to help slow the spread. For more information about our plan for a safe return to campus, please visit the coronavirus response webpage, which is updated regularly and includes frequently asked questions.

From the moment students stepped foot on campus, our ’Canes Care for ’Canes philosophy was palpable and continues to unite us during even the most challenging times. Together, we will work toward a safe, engaging, and productive academic year.

We Are One U.​

Last edited:
Yes, in class, on line or hybrid. My son chose in class. Two of his classes are completely online of which there are no more than 10 kids in class. Here is what the university released yesterday. Nothing like waiting to the Friday before the start of class. His friends said it is a real ****show over at Mahoney and University Villages. My son said Instagram is blowing up. Students are ****ed and at $30K per semester I don't blame them.

August 14, 2020

This week, we welcomed new and returning students and their families to our re-imagined campus community. Our campus may have changed, but our ’Canes spirit remains strong.

Monday marks the start of classes. All of our students, domestic and international, and whether attending in person, online, or through hybrid delivery, have the full support of the entire ’Canes community.

As part of the campus reopening strategy, we are providing COVID-19 tests to all students prior to their return to campus. To date, the University has received COVID-19 test results for 6,845 students, with a positivity rate of 0.497%. Students who test positive are required to self-isolate for up to 14 days based on CDC guidelines, and may return to campus once cleared by Student Health Service. We will continue to keep you informed as we adapt and respond to evolving circumstances, while providing an enriching fall semester.

The following is the latest in our series of weekly updates provided to keep you informed about our fall semester reopening.

Top reminders this week
  • All students are required to submit a negative COVID-19 test before returning to campus. Information regarding testing requirements and instructions has been sent directly to students. View complete information regarding the University’s testing requirements, including how to report positive test results conducted outside the University of Miami and self-isolation requirements.
  • Students, faculty, and staff who are on campus are required to use a daily symptom checker and respond appropriately to the guidance it provides.
  • All students, faculty, and staff must complete the We Are One U: COVID-19 Safety Principles online module.
  • Face coverings are mandatory at all times while in public spaces on our campuses, whether indoors or outdoors, and everyone must continue to practice physical distancing and good hand hygiene.

• The University has developed a personalized medicine program for faculty, on-campus staff, and students to promote the importance of good health and provide 24/7 guidance and care during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read more about the program: faculty/staff | students

Campus life
  • A campus-wide curfew of 10 p.m. will be enforced until further notice. With the exception of any University credit-bearing classes ending past 10 p.m., all resident students must return to and be within their residential college or apartment area by the stated curfew. Non-resident students are expected to follow campus and local curfews. Currently Miami-Dade County has a countywide curfew from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. every day.
  • As an additional safety measure, no food or drinks, with the exception of water, will be permitted while in class in classrooms.
  • The Department of Student Activities and Student Organizations has developed University-wide guidelines for all undergraduate student meetings, programs, and events on campus.

Faculty and staff
  • All staff who are not required to provide direct support to students or patients should continue to work from home and should return to campus only after receiving explicit approval from their manager, dean, or administrative vice president. Your support is appreciated as we continue to limit campus density to allow for physical distancing.
  • Staff working from home should continue to complete the COVID-19 Telecommute Arrangement in Workday for each week that you work from home. Failure to do so could impact University cell phone stipends. For assistance, please review the COVID-19 Telecommute Arrangement in Workday Tip Sheet.
  • Faculty and staff at UHealth and the Miller School of Medicine should continue to follow guidance shared by Medical Campus leadership and review the latest Medical Campus advisories and information.

Research
  • Faculty should continue to follow the Research Standard Operating Procedure , which is based on our robust, evidence-based strategy to reduce disease transmissibility, devised by UHealth clinical leadership and public health experts, and relies on five Ts—testing, tracing, tele-vigilance, tracking, and teamwork—to minimize new exposure and spread of infection. One notable upcoming change to the research SOP will be the ability to add undergraduate students to research activities under specific conditions and requirements; we ask that this be delayed until after Labor Day.

Our careful and thoughtful approach to reopening campus is rooted in following the Four Pillars to help slow the spread. For more information about our plan for a safe return to campus, please visit the coronavirus response webpage, which is updated regularly and includes frequently asked questions.

From the moment students stepped foot on campus, our ’Canes Care for ’Canes philosophy was palpable and continues to unite us during even the most challenging times. Together, we will work toward a safe, engaging, and productive academic year.

We Are One U.​

Thanks for posting this. I did see it yesterday. My son is finishing the last semester of a 4.5 MACC program in the Business School. I have been following all of Dr Frenk's correspondence since July. It seems like the University plan has certainly tightened up since Miami-Dade's COVID explosion and the reinstitution of the curfew, etc. in Miami Dade county.

My son is living in Brickell for the last semester. Most of his friends who are either working or in grad school are living there, too. He was not enrolled in any classes for fall until August 6th and still doesn't have a classroom assigned for one of the 4 classes he has from August 17-Oct. 10th. (this program has half-semester classes; he will take a total of 8 during the fall). His classes meet twice a week with one session in-person and one session via remote. I believe there are only 20 students or so in the program. Some classes will probably have 10 or less in them. I spoke to the Director of the program in July, just to be sure we had all the information we should since it seemed odd not to have a class schedule at that point. I felt for him; it seems like it was a logistical nightmare to get this all organized.

Taking math and engineering via remote learning will be an experience for your son; not every kid is going to do well with that. It stinks for kids going to college right now - so much of the usual college experience is just not available to them.

Thanks for posting this. I did see it yesterday. My son is finishing the last semester of a 4.5 MACC program in the Business School. I have been following all of Dr Frenk's correspondence since July. It seems like the University plan has certainly tightened up since Miami-Dade's COVID explosion and the reinstitution of the curfew, etc. in Miami Dade county.

My son is living in Brickell for the last semester. Most of his friends who are either working or in grad school are living there, too. He was not enrolled in any classes for fall until August 6th and still doesn't have a classroom assigned for one of the 4 classes he has from August 17-Oct. 10th. (this program has half-semester classes; he will take a total of 8 during the fall). His classes meet twice a week with one session in-person and one session via remote. I believe there are only 20 students or so in the program. Some classes will probably have 10 or less in them. I spoke to the Director of the program in July, just to be sure we had all the information we should since it seemed odd not to have a class schedule at that point. I felt for him; it seems like it was a logistical nightmare to get this all organized.

Taking math and engineering via remote learning will be an experience for your son; not every kid is going to do well with that. It stinks for kids going to college right now - so much of the usual college experience is just not available to t
He lives in Gables Ponce. He cannot do on line classes on campus everywhere. The problem for kids will be doing live classes and then transitioning to an outline class immediately afterward if that is how their schedule is set up. He can make it home in 10 minutes. This will be a problem for kids who don't live close like his friends over in Dadeland or Brickell.

Advertisement
I think I’m going to try something new. I’m going to start thread reply-banning, at a minimum, the first to go political in every Recruiting and Eye in the Sky Board thread, regardless of friend, foe, poster status or ideology, as I’ve started in here. Otherwise, it gets out of control with counter punches going back and forth. The Maude’s are tired of it.

I suggest that people report the violations rather than respond to them.

Thanks for the report Pops...

I'm just wondering what happens when the entire student body returns to campus. Not just UM, but all the schools. If outbreaks on campuses start popping up, it could derail college football. I'm not sure what University Presidents will do if their football teams are ok, but the rest of the students aren't.
It doesn't matter if your proactive. Gig is over and your still hanging on tight..

Advertisement
I think I’m going to try something new. I’m going to start thread reply-banning, at a minimum, the first to go political in every Recruiting and Eye in the Sky Board thread, regardless of friend, foe, poster status or ideology, as I’ve started in here. Otherwise, it gets out of control with counter punches going back and forth. The Maude’s are tired of it.

I suggest that people report the violations rather than respond to them.
You got your work cut out for you in the new ACC thread. Hope Boardman ships you a box of doughnuts at least. God speed....

My son said you are dead wrong. He was given three options. He chose in class. He found out yesterday that only 5 of his 21 credit hours are in class. The rest is online. The kid is double majoring in aero and mathematics with some tough classes. ****** way to learn. He also said it is bull**** about social distancing because his upper level classes have maybe 8 to 10 kids and that can be done in a classroom setting.

Here is what the university released yesterday. Nothing like waiting to the Friday before the start of class. His friends said it is a real ****show over at Mahoney and University Villages. Yes, the kids understand Dade County is locked down on curfew. That being said my son said Instagram is blowing up. Students are ****ed.

August 14, 2020

Top reminders this week

Campus life

Faculty and staff

Research

We Are One U.​
This won't end well. If UM truly snookered the students, it will blow up. It's a shame leaders can't figure out that you can't do people dirty or even give that perception in today's social media/justice era.

University of Miami is a responsible and well intentioned institution. With that said no ones perfect but I'm sure they're not being intentional with their decisions. Tough times and those who are moving forward face many challenges. Imo beats quitting.

You got your work cut out for you in the new ACC thread. Hope Boardman ships you a box of doughnuts at least. God speed....
I’m doing this from this point forward. I’m not going to go to threads that have had it going on for days with that junk and just picking people out now. I’m going to post a sticky thread saying it as well. I do think that people who continue on in old threads will get reply-banned. I’m out of options to an extent. I’d prefer not to lock threads because of a few and I really do not want to start mass banning. I also suggest that people keep it out of the KTDT, Gator Tears and Nole Tears as that will likely earn points for derailing established official threads.

Advertisement
Back