Manny Diaz

killacane

Sophomore
When he was at Miss St people were raving about him. Where his failures at UT on him or was it that the team was not responding to Mack Brown anymore? I loved his aggressive style of D and thought he could do big things with the athletes in S. Florida.

Advertisement
Been thinking of this as well.

Texas had much larger issues than Diaz. He was a hot commodity at MSU and is from the area

Advertisement
Another smart guy who couldn't transfer his knowledge to production on the field. He'd be great at posting pics of formations on here and breaking it down because he, like Corch Duh, knows all the Xs and Os. His problem was inculcating his players with his vast knowledge and having it translate to results in stopping the opponent.

A friend of mines named Materniak asked me if Shannon would have bludgeoned to death by that one dimensional offense from Nebraska, and I told him no fcking way.

We need coaches in here who are at the very least competent in taking away one dimension from an opponent--preferably the dimension where they are most proficient. Remember BYU, a team with a pedestrian passing game, running for about 500 yards on Diaz last year? That should scare anyone to death.

His defense just gave up 30 points in a loss to Northwestern State. Not Northwestern, Northwestern State. An FCS school in Louisiana. They are giving up 40 points per game this year so far.

His defense just gave up 30 points in a loss to Northwestern State. Not Northwestern, Northwestern State. An FCS school in Louisiana. They are giving up 40 points per game this year so far.

Every play is designed to make a tackle. We need to focus on execution.

I was always a big fan, going back before Miss State, because I tend to like Zone Blitz and Fire Zone concepts. Less now, as I liked them more before the proliferation of all of these spread teams and the precision passing games, of course.

Manny needs specific player types to do what he wants to do. Different than D'Ono in that the players don't need to be brutally large or powerful (which I find to be an odd fit for the modern college game), but the same as D'Ono in that, in theory, if he has those types (in his case, DE/OLBs), he'll get excellent results. He puts a lot of pressure on certain positions, so that's very similar to what we're seeing now. The distinctions are large: he errs on the side of aggression. His concepts work better with the type of talent we recruit and have access to. The pressure he puts on positions tends to be on athleticism and processing info. He probably belongs in the NFL, if he plans to stick with that theory.

I've changed my perspective some over the past 10 or so years in that I don't think you need as much complexity at the college level. 10 years ago, when you had a decent idea of what you were facing on offense and offensive styles/rules were somewhat different, defenses had to gain a competitive advantage through disguise. Now, with defenses inherently on their heels because of offensive styles/rules, the best way to allow your players to be aggressive is through relative simplicity. Relative simplicity doesn't mean predictability. It means you have athletes who don't necessarily have to process as much information as they do in the professional game (NFL).

Manny will need to adjust his concepts and get those specific DE/OLB types to execute his system. I'd take him over D'Onofrio because I'll take aggression over conscious passiveness any day.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back