Manny Diaz

Everyone is talking about why this won't happen from Manny's perspective, which is reasonable.

But are any of you thinking about what The U wants? @simplycanes is by and large correct about what the administration wants. Not just because Miami is not the place for on-the-job training, but because we already made that mistake in elevating Randy Shannon. The big-time boosters and the trustees stay around for a long time. They often remember big mistakes. Especially when it comes to the football team.

I'm not saying it will never happen. I'm not saying there won't be some sort of "HC in waiting" status (although I seriously doubt the administration wants to do that). I'm DEFINITELY not saying I'm just dismissing Diaz as HC at The U at some point down the road. I think it could be really awesome. Love the guy.

What I'm saying is that in all likelihood he'll earn a shot at some second tier big conference school, a la Will Muschamp at the house of c*cks. A more germane analogy would be Jimmy Johnson. If he can prove himself competent there, Miami will in all likelihood give him a shot when the time is right. I'm betting CMR proves that even though you can't get a ring at a big school, you can sure as **** win one at The U.

-OR- he just gets pulled away by some-too-good-to-pass-up opportunity at DC, like Bama paying him $367 million a year and giving him a rocket ship, a private island, and maybe a miniature giraffe. Because that's about where college football will be at in the next 5ish years.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Díaz is an average DC

He’s never fielded an elite defense in his entire career. Great at coach speak, though (violence, at bats, etc)

Shannon was a "pure Cane" too.

Production is more important than being a diehard believer of the Cane way.

I hope he stays with the U until Richt retires and takes the HC job....not wishing for any changes now but Diaz is pure Cane and we need for him to stay a Cane! Just hope as he becomes a hot prospect that he waits here.

All of this coming from someone who has been documented at being absolutely amazing at telling people how little clue they have while having no clue about what they know.

I'm really impressed you've been able to remove your foot from your mouth, but you might want to stop throwing stones from your glass house.

Oh oh, one of the whiny butthurt brigade is acting out.

Did I hurt your tender feelings sometime in the past? Thought this was your big chance to get back at me?

How does it feel to act like a scorned woman? Am I not paying enough attention to you? Is that it?

Since I don’t remember any of your posts, maybe you can remind of the time I humiliated you so you can refresh my memory, and then we can be clear on a what a whiny, petty little bltch you are following me around and waiting for just the perfect moment to hit me with your purse.

Advertisement
we are starting a brand new season and people are concerned that he might leave in a year or two? the only thing worse than this thread is the thread predicting which underclassmen will leave at the end of the year. What?

I'm hoping with the edge pressure that we should be able to generate this season that Manny will lay off some of the blitz happy stuff.

He's a great coach. I'm thinking he used all those blitzes because he wasn't happy the the front 4 pressure ability last season.

I'm hoping with the edge pressure that we should be able to generate this season that Manny will lay off some of the blitz happy stuff.

He's a great coach. I'm thinking he used all those blitzes because he wasn't happy the the front 4 pressure ability last season.
Facts

Advertisement
Díaz is an average DC

He’s never fielded an elite defense in his entire career. Great at coach speak, though (violence, at bats, etc)

He will this year. There is a lot to be said about a fielding a squad filled with upperclassmen as starters especially three years into his system. These kids are now physically imposing. Mental errors should go down significantly and communication will be much, much better with back 7. We have experience and depth.

He never gave them much of a chance. He's blitz happy and has always been that way. Hopefully that changes this year. His predictability got us killed on third down last season.

“Too much chocolate will make you sick”
My favorite analogy on when too much blitzing starts to backfire.

Advertisement
I’d much rather have him go somewhere and learn before getting the U job. The only time I think I would favor a first time HC is if they are a young offensive innovator (Lincoln Riley type).

It’s never a bad thing to have Miami guys coaching all over the country. When the Miami HC opens up, we’ll have experienced candidates.

Advertisement
Let's revisit this thread after his defense has allowed yet another scrub QB quarterback look like a hall of famer. Look, Manny talks a great game and has great enthusiasm but his over aggressiveness and constant blitzing is going to get us burned again this season. I personally have no love lost for Manny so maybe this is me being negative.

Let's revisit this thread after his defense has allowed yet another scrub QB quarterback look like a hall of famer. Look, Manny talks a great game and has great enthusiasm but his over aggressiveness and constant blitzing is going to get us burned again this season. I personally have no love lost for Manny so maybe this is me being negative.
Trust me, I'm sure you aren't the only one. I feel the same about Diaz. We'll be in the middle of the road defense every year but it will never be a championship defense.

Everyone is talking about why this won't happen from Manny's perspective, which is reasonable.

But are any of you thinking about what The U wants? @simplycanes is by and large correct about what the administration wants. Not just because Miami is not the place for on-the-job training, but because we already made that mistake in elevating Randy Shannon. The big-time boosters and the trustees stay around for a long time. They often remember big mistakes. Especially when it comes to the football team.

I'm not saying it will never happen. I'm not saying there won't be some sort of "HC in waiting" status (although I seriously doubt the administration wants to do that). I'm DEFINITELY not saying I'm just dismissing Diaz as HC at The U at some point down the road. I think it could be really awesome. Love the guy.

What I'm saying is that in all likelihood he'll earn a shot at some second tier big conference school, a la Will Muschamp at the house of c*cks. A more germane analogy would be Jimmy Johnson. If he can prove himself competent there, Miami will in all likelihood give him a shot when the time is right. I'm betting CMR proves that even though you can't get a ring at a big school, you can sure as **** win one at The U.

-OR- he just gets pulled away by some-too-good-to-pass-up opportunity at DC, like Bama paying him $367 million a year and giving him a rocket ship, a private island, and maybe a miniature giraffe. Because that's about where college football will be at in the next 5ish years.
The giraffe would be an NCAA violation I think.

Advertisement
Back