Manny Diaz

Diaz trotted out three freshman lb's and saw other freshman like Joe and Bethel get some significant snaps... Also rotated in a broken Owens and Gordinier as backup Lb's. With the talent he has at his disposal, Diaz called a **** of a game.

Advertisement
Trubisky scares me because Colbert, Redwine, Carter & Jenkins looked bad in pass coverage at times. Other than that defense showed up played well this loss was on our offense. O line was **** poor.

A+ hire so far.

He's completely transformed this unit and its night and day compared to last season. We went from a bunch of overfed, bloated pussles who sit on their heels, to a pack of snarling monsters playing downfield and knocking the shlt out of people.

His guys did their job last night. It's a shame some soft as baby shlt, California mama'a boy ruined such a stellar outing by the defense.

Kaaya Wright the FcKK BOY owes that group an apology.

Last edited:
Advertisement
How long before somebody hires him for an HC position?

Still day you have to cover the best player on the field.

Stfu. It was one play (and a great call at that). Our freshman LB slipped. Life goes on.

Everyone knew cook was going to get something eventually. He's just that good.

The defense played so much better than even we all thought they could. Diaz the gawd.

Advertisement

That was a missed assignment; not a design issue.

All in all, the defensive game was really well-designed, got about as much from our talent as you can ask for and maybe a little more. That's all you can ask for from your coaches. Problem is he faces a UNC team now that actually is much better situated to beating his design. So, we'll see what happens there.

Wasn't that on Colbert?

No. Pickney.

From the All 22, I don't think that was man coverage as Herbie was suggesting. Corn seemed to have a 3rd, Rayshawn had deep middle, and Colbert had the other deep 3rd. If your zone isn't threatened, you run with a the guy that goes up that seam. Basically a 3 deep zone with man principles if your 3rd isn't challenged

Play took a really long time to develop so Cook wasn't immediately threatening that part of the field.

Would love to hear what better minds think, but I don't think that was as much a blown assignment as it was Jimbo making a really dope call on first down.

Pickney saw him coming out of the backfield and turned to run with him, but got tripped up in the wash. He didn't rush, he had Cook in man.

That was a missed assignment; not a design issue.

All in all, the defensive game was really well-designed, got about as much from our talent as you can ask for and maybe a little more. That's all you can ask for from your coaches. Problem is he faces a UNC team now that actually is much better situated to beating his design. So, we'll see what happens there.

Wasn't that on Colbert?

No. Pickney.

From the All 22, I don't think that was man coverage as Herbie was suggesting. Corn seemed to have a 3rd, Rayshawn had deep middle, and Colbert had the other deep 3rd. If your zone isn't threatened, you run with a the guy that goes up that seam. Basically a 3 deep zone with man principles if your 3rd isn't challenged

Play took a really long time to develop so Cook wasn't immediately threatening that part of the field.

Would love to hear what better minds think, but I don't think that was as much a blown assignment as it was Jimbo making a really dope call on first down.

Pickney saw him coming out of the backfield and turned to run with him, but got tripped up in the wash. He didn't rush, he had Cook in man.

This, he was shadowing him and as soon as he tripped he looked right away for and scrambled after Cook but it was too late. He had him man.

Minus the one break out run and the busted coverage, we did well with Dalvin. Proud of the D last night. Offense not so much, think we still have a ways to go with the O ine. If we could get the O Line shored up, I think we have a top 10 team.

Advertisement
Just hope you guys don't overreact when UNC gets a bunch of yards and potential scores on us.

UNC's QB can hit the spots that hurt us, should spread us out and have balls zipping over our LBs heads.

Just hope you guys don't overreact when UNC gets a bunch of yards and potential scores on us.

UNC's QB can hit the spots that hurt us, should spread us out and have balls zipping over our LBs heads.

Let's hope it pours like it did yesterday for them. He's very good and athletic....man it's frustrating what a difference it makes to have a guy that can extend plays and keep a defense honest.

Tbh outside of corn i felt our other corners didnt play well, there were a few plays when we had someone there but didn't capitalize

Advertisement
Idk if you guys were watching what I was. Yes we made some plays, but for the most part they always gained like 6-7 yards running on first down. Which made the 3rd down that much easier. Diaz has been known for being a third down guru. Go look at their 3rd down conversion rate compared to other games this year. Still have a long ways to go

i have to agree with you i wanted to pull my hair out watching all those 3rd and short conversions. Its great to see the change from D'no but we were not perfect on that side of the ball either. They didn't get off the field on 3rd downs enough. With that said im glad to have Manny over the bs we had to deal with the last few years.

Idk if you guys were watching what I was. Yes we made some plays, but for the most part they always gained like 6-7 yards running on first down. Which made the 3rd down that much easier. Diaz has been known for being a third down guru. Go look at their 3rd down conversion rate compared to other games this year. Still have a long ways to go

i have to agree with you i wanted to pull my hair out watching all those 3rd and short conversions. Its great to see the change from D'no but we were not perfect on that side of the ball either. They didn't get off the field on 3rd downs enough. With that said im glad to have Manny over the bs we had to deal with the last few years.

They got themselves in a bunch of 3rd and short conversions. Those conversions were not happening on 3rd and longer than 7, for the most part. You're right that we didn't "get them behind schedule" as much as we'd like. But, it's give and take. We weren't selling out on 1st down to get those 2nd and 12s. I think it was mostly a smart way to call the game and protect our LBs and Safeties from the PA game. It never felt like FSU was "doing whatever they wanted."

In fact, I was pretty confident the D would get the stop in what would have been a 20-20 game. Or, in OT.

Now, again, we should be more than tested this upcoming week, so you'll likely have plenty to complain about on D in about 7 days.

You really can see improvements everywhere on the field. VERY proud of the way this defense played. Flew around all night, made plays when we needed them, & laid some VICIOUS hits like the old days. Guy was a great hire for us. Only allowing 20 points to an offense of FSU's caliber is something to take as a positive. Im ****ing heartbroken as anybody. Still, a pretty good defensive performance & it has been all year.

I completely agree, and what you didn't mention is the youth on D. Also, Golden demolished our recruiting program, once Richt rights that ship the D is going to be killer. Three true freshman starting LBs, the core of the D. This is going to get really really cool going forward and reminiscent of past Canes great Ds. Most of our DL are underclassmen too. The only unit that has experience and seniors is the secondary.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back