Manny Diaz Defense Turnaround

Advertisement
I am cautiously optimistic, and hopeful that we can get back into the top 20 this year and in the top ten in 3 years. Playing in the BCS will, in my opinion, take us five years.

We will never make it to the BCS. Sorry time travel has been invented yet.

The bad part of those stats is that I don't feel they're accurate with what I see on the field across the country.

Advertisement
You’re right about 3rd down conversion - we jumped from 67th in 2015 to 1st in 2018.

PPG I think was more a factor of being put in poor field position by the offense and special teams. It felt like ever game there was at least one score - sometimes 2 or 3 - that were a direct result of turnovers on offense, fumbles on special teams, etc. Just off the top of my head, I think there were 2 fumbles on special teams vs GT last year that placed them inside the 20. Hard to blame the defense for that. Our D was 18th in PPG but I feel pretty confident saying it would’ve been top 10 in PPG if not for the terrible offense and special teams.
Offense put the defense behind the right ball on a regular basis.ppg could've been a lot higher if the defense caved in and stopped playing defense.

I laugh at anyone who was criticizing our defense last year when they were the only reason we won 7 games. Richt's offense was simply a disgrace.

If Enos can do for the offense what Manny did for the defense, we'll have something special.

We all need to admit talent on this team is a lot better today than it was in 2016.get the oline,qb room playing better I can see a playoff team .we are not good enough to beat bama or Cclemson now but give enos and Diaz a couple years we could be the top dog again.

Advertisement
Posting false information
Defense National Rank

Yards/game......69th.........4th
Yards/play.........86th........3rd
Yards/pass........26th.......2nd
Yards/rush.......115th......23rd
TFL/game........104th........1st
Sacks/game......70th........9th

Gotta be one of the greatest defensive turnarounds ever. Nothing worse than being a Canes fan with a trash defense. It was hard to watch games with teams carving up our D like they did under Golden. But it’s good to look back and appreciate how far the D came under Diaz. Will be fun to see where we go with him at the helm 🙌🏼

Defense needs to prove it against quality opponents.

Amazing to know we squandered a national championship defense with a crap record followed by an embarrassing bowl game performance
I still don’t think it was a championship caliber defense. Not up there with Bama, Clemson, or Georgia yet.

We played a lot of **** offenses. A lot.

Actually....they don't. They just have to replicate this dominant effort over the same crappy schedule/competition as last year (might be even easier this year)and we are staring at a 11-12 win regular season with a halfway competent offense.
Definitely! For those who say we play a weak schedule, just look at how Unc almost beat Clemson in the acccg with a high powered offense and a competent defense. When we field a competent offense with our D I believe we can will ourselves to victory over a couple top teams at the end of a 10-11 win season.

Advertisement
The thing I love about Manny is the defense accomplishes it’s goals.

After one year we needed to improve in turnovers. Manny established the turnover chain and we were top 5.

Then going into year three our problem was third down. I’m not sure the stat but the defense took a huge jump and may have been elite in that category.

Whatever the goal is Manny finds a way

I still don’t think it was a championship caliber defense. Not up there with Bama, Clemson, or Georgia yet.

We played a lot of **** offenses. A lot.

Bama's D gave up a combined 70 points in their two playoff games this year. The rules are set up to favor the offense right now, which is why there's no excuse to field as poor of one as Miami did last year. Having a competent offense will do wonders for our D.

Advertisement
I am cautiously optimistic, and hopeful that we can get back into the top 20 this year and in the top ten in 3 years. Playing in the BCS will, in my opinion, take us five years.
Be a little more optimistic.

A difference maker at QB and a decent O line and we can be there this year. Our WRs and RB's are always going to be good and Manny just needs to maintain the D's level of play.

Defense needs to prove it against quality opponents.

Joined about 3 months ago.

I’m starting to get a feel for your shtick.

Just think of how good our defense would've been with a punter and an offense...
If the defense had practiced scrimmages with a serious offense, with decent play calling and kick *** quarterbacking, I think they could have been a much better game day defense. Also the three and out offense we saw way too much of the last two years doesn't help motivate the defense at all.

Advertisement
Back