Manny Diaz Defense Turnaround

An improved offense, and let’s be honest it’s going to improve and in a big way in 2019, that manages to finish the season even in the Top 35 - there’s no way we don’t win 10-11 games. I know the defense will regress some given the experience and starting talent that’s no longer in Coral Gables, but that’s the beauty of college football. Players get replaced annually and we will get to see how the depth looks from last year’s squad who are now going to be starters. I still think we’ll field a Top 20 defense, if not higher. Will depend on what Manny will do at the helm, what/how Baker calls his defense, and the play of the new starters, especially in the secondary. But offensively we will see marked improvement for sure, with that much talent at every key skill position outside of maybe OL, Enos is going to spread the love around and really give us a taste of things to come in 2020.

Advertisement
I still don’t think it was a championship caliber defense. Not up there with Bama, Clemson, or Georgia yet.

We played a lot of **** offenses. A lot.

We played similar defenses with better talent and still couldn’t pull our head out of our azzzes

I’m sorry but Willis in the middle had a dominate season at DT and we’ve had some special DTs in our history

We don’t beat FSU this past year if not for that

I still don’t think it was a championship caliber defense. Not up there with Bama, Clemson, or Georgia yet.

We played a lot of **** offenses. A lot.
Clemson and to lesser extent bama is fair(definitely not their 2018 defense) but cut the sht with Georgia.... their pass defense sucks and are one of the worst teams generating any type of pressure or sacks. Quit capping for these fvck *** SEC schools and sht just for the **** of it. Sec loving *** Mfs... Another thing did Clemson or bama play any dominant teams in the regular season? Fvck no.... but only Miami gets that knock

And yes Miami’s defense was >>>>>> than bama last year. Bama defense had a lot of holes last year because it’s bama people want to dismiss the sh*t
-Miami pass defense did not give 1 game of 225 plus yards passing last year. Bama gave up 7 of those...( 4 against the likes of Louisville, Arkansas, Tennessee and Texas a&m.)
-9/13 teams Miami played held them less than 150 yards passing, when is the last time a Miami defense did that?

And you can save me the bullsh*t of “we didn’t play nobody” bama didn’t either and teams were still successful against their defense too. Oh I forgot That knock only can be applied to Miami and no other team...

-Miami 1st in tfls, top 10 sacks
-#1 in 3rd down defense
- rushing attempts and yards given up was very similar between the two schools

Last edited:
I just don't get the "fans" who try to put down our defense last year. It may have lacked the true star power of our great defenses in the past, but it was no less effective. People want to try and complain about the schedule or who we played, but we played about the same level of competition and offensive prowess as everyone else in the P5 outside the arena league (Big12). Our defense last year, in a lot of important categories, was top 10. That's a championship caliber defense.

Imagine what our defense would've looked like with a Punter. ***** an offense or an OC, if we just had a punter we would've been that much better. There wasn't many times teams put long drives together while converting multiple third downs. El Jefe rebuilt our brand on D quite well and he should have all our gratitude for that. Now lets just hope he can rebuild our entire team as well as he did with our D.

I was going to make a thread about the most important factors for defensive improvement this year, but is a fine thread to say it. And I’m lazy.

TOP, PPG and Offensive Efficiency will determine the success of the defense more than any stat on that actual side of the ball. Similarly, Enos’ hire will have the most impact on the success of the defense, because it is on offense that we have the most potential for improvement. He has a chance to give the D some things it literally never had last year, or contistently the year prior: 1) A credible threat to score. 2) Ball control (within reason) 3) A lead throughout the game. Improvement in those three areas alone will result in a better defensive performance week in and out, in my opinion.

Being in the lead is a huge point. Allows our defensive ends to pin their ears back in obvious passing situations, how many times did that happen the last two years

Advertisement
We had a great defense without Willis in 2017. We had a great defense in 2018 with Willis. We will have a great defense without Willis going forward. Other players step up year in and year out. Ford, Silvera, Rousseau, Hall, Carter, Blades will all step up this year. Phillips, Harvey, Blissett, Brooks, Huff, Keontra will be our 2020 stars. Every year we will reload...now.
We have the coaching in place for the offense to improve. We recruited a punter who should improve that position. We should be a really good team. Why can't we make the Playoff in a couple years, once these QBs get the offense and we build 2 more solid recruiting cycles? These next two cycles are huge.
If Clemson can drop games to Pitt and NC St and others, why can't we catch lightning in a bottle and beat them once or twice in the ACCCG? We do that, they can't keep us out of the Playoff. I'm a pragmatist, so I know we can drop a game or two we are supposed to roll. But this team should be in Charlotte the first week of December each year for the foreseeable future. From there, it's anybody's game.

We got this.

And the defense is only going to get better. Manny and the coaches know that the D wasn't perfect and in Miamk it's all about striving for excellence and not being complacent.

Advertisement
Back