Manny Diaz created a Top 3 defense within 3 years of arrival...

Advertisement
We took scholarship reductions in 1996 and 1997. Any incoming freshman in 1998 knew the Canes were bowl eligible and probation was ending that season.

Sorry I misspoke. We lost 31 scholarships not 33, from 96 to 98. This article you are quoting is not accurate so I would go ahead and retract your initial bogus statement. I guess it's not your fault but me and a lot of guys on this board lived through those sanctions. I assume you didn't so get better sources.

Two things:
- Golden was not a bad recruiter
- Our defense is going to get negative plays but when a team as the OL like Bama then your secondary better be on point.

Agree on Golden— he was dealt a HORRIBLE hand — he came in right when the Shapiro sh*t hit that fan. He was never given the proper respect for being LOYAL to The U — he could have easily sued the U to leave.

But he KILLED his own reputation by stubbornly hanging on to his incompetent DC Dino.

Golden recruited very well despite being under scholarship reductions and threat of dearth penalty hanging over our heads. We are luck we didn’t become FIU from that Shapiro disaster.

Ultimately, i respect Golden for having stuck with UM when he could have left the program to crumble.

Agree on Golden— he was dealt a HORRIBLE hand — he came in right when the Shapiro sh*t hit that fan. He was never given the proper respect for being LOYAL to The U — he could have easily sued the U to leave.

But he KILLED his own reputation by stubbornly hanging on to his incompetent DC Dino.

Golden recruited very well despite being under scholarship reductions and threat of dearth penalty hanging over our heads. We are luck we didn’t become FIU from that Shapiro disaster.

Ultimately, i respect Golden for having stuck with UM when he could have left the program to crumble.

If he had a better deal he would have left

Don't think if he got that PSU job he would have bolted

Sorry I misspoke. We lost 31 scholarships not 33, from 96 to 98. This article you are quoting is not accurate so I would go ahead and retract your initial bogus statement. I guess it's not your fault but me and a lot of guys on this board lived through those sanctions. I assume you didn't so get better sources.

I’ve been a season ticket holder for 25 years and have been going to games for 35. I was there the entire time. And my sources are just fine. Your dates are wrong not mine. We had self imposed seven in 1995 and took the rest in 1996 and 1997. By 1998 any new recruit was being recruited knowing the worst was behind us.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I’ve been a season ticket holder for 25 years and have been going to games for 35. I was there the entire time. And my sources are just fine. Your dates are wrong not mine. We had self imposed seven in 1995 and took the rest in 1996 and 1997. By 1998 any new recruit was was being recruited knowing the worst was behind us.

Ok good to hear. You convienently left off the seven they took on 1995. So 31 scholarships isn't 24. They were also limited to 80 each year. Butch was brilliant in that regard and to say anything different is ludicrous. BTW Dan Morgan was part of the 97 class as well as other first rounders. The 2000 team was probably as good as the 2001 team. Just a bad look for 25 year season Tix holder.

exactly ... can't wait to read the excuses

here's the real money question ..... with that "elite top 3 defense" how many championships did Miami win ?
You know, it's funny that he was able to make a top 3 defense playing pos offenses in the ACC. But his defense got their shxt pushed in by Wisky(twice) and Clemson.

I am amazed that there are still borderline Al Golden defenders on CIS.

Seriously, he was the worst coach since Carl Selmer. I honestly think Manny will probably outdo Golden in terms of awfulness, although that remains somewhat to be seen for sure.

Advertisement
I’ve been a season ticket holder for 25 years and have been going to games for 35. I was there the entire time. And my sources are just fine. Your dates are wrong not mine. We had self imposed seven in 1995 and took the rest in 1996 and 1997. By 1998 any new recruit was being recruited knowing the worst was behind us.

I still am amazed that people don’t realize Butch was a great recruiter but mediocre coach.

That’s why it took him until year 6 to really have that successful of a season. He wasn’t going to win big until he had all world talent.

I am amazed that there are still borderline Al Golden defenders on CIS.

Seriously, he was the worst coach since Carl Selmer. I honestly think Manny will probably outdo Golden in terms of awfulness, although that remains somewhat to be seen for sure.

Nothing in life is “pure good“ or “pure bad”.

Randy Shannon was a crappy head coach but I would take him back as a defensive coach any day.

Golden was cheated by the University when they hid the Shapiro events from him while they hired him. Most coaches would’ve walked. The guy stuck with the canes and helped recruit for the program to keep us relevant.

Look up his recruits and see how many of them became NFL stars and you’ll see that he did a commendable job for the Canes during what could’ve been a death blow moment.

Advertisement
Back