Manny & Co. Failed Exam 1; Do They Pass Exam 2?

Returns specifically, not kicking.
Special teams is:
Kickoff- A grade
Place kicking-A grade
Punting- A grade
Punt coverage A Grade
Kickoff return NA- all touchbacks
Punt return-B grade from me. People will argue with me on this but a few notes- great call taking pope out. Balls to put in a true freshman. Incredibly high football IQ play by X on the first return where the Clemson player kicked the ball. By rule X could try to do something stupid and whether he loses yards or fumbles the ball goes back to the touch spot, but if he breaks a return it counts. That play reminded me of Berrios from an IQ standpoint. The last return was a poor decision in heavy rain...we were losing and the kid tried to make a play, not a good play.

Advertisement
Special teams is:
Kickoff- A grade
Place kicking-A grade
Punting- A grade
Punt coverage A Grade
Punt return-B grade from me. People will argue with me on this but a few notes- great call taking pope out. Balls to put in a true freshman. Incredibly high football IQ play by X on the first return where the Clemson player kicked the ball. By rule X could try to do something stupid and whether he loses yards or fumbles the ball goes back to the touch spot, but if he breaks a return it counts. That play reminded me of Berrios from an IQ standpoint. The last return was a poor decision in heavy rain...we were losing and the kid tried to make a play, not a good play.
Kick coverage is OK since the kickers give zero ops for returns. Punt returns.... no matter who is back there, they are always unprepared

Last edited:
they fooled themselves into thinking they were some power run dynamo because they ran over louisville and fsu lol

How the **** do you think you're just gonna do that to clemson and venables

I really didn't expect us to hang with Clemson. Was hopeful, but I wasn't surprised. I was upset with the mental mistakes coming off a bye and the weak offensive scheme. I agree that this next week is an enormous tell tale sign. If we can regroup and stuff Pitt, then we are on the right track. If this loss derails us, then we know nothing has changed. Lashlee better not run the CMR offense against Pitt. They are gonna come at us just like Clemson. They will force us to beat them deep and put the game on our receivers. Eight in the box.

Advertisement
Since Manny & Co. failed their first exam on offense, defense, and ST, which was playing well against a team with a pulse on offense and defense, do they pass their 2nd exam next week, which is not letting the team spiral out of control after a loss?

Baker is what he is, and he and Diaz have proven they don’t do well against most offenses with a pulse, but I am most disappointed in Lashlee not having a good enough gameplan after two weeks to prepare. Running up the middle so often was too reminiscent of the Richt era.

We need a big win to show we are mature enough to not let this loss get to our players. Need coaches to step up after failing this week with two weeks to prepare. We need a blowout against Pitt to prove we can rebound after a tough loss and keep our eyes on winning out and qualifying for the ACCCG.
Agree. How we respond to a bad loss is going to tell us a lot

We don't have anywhere near the players right now to play on that level and we are likely 2-3 years away.

Agree. This was always supposed to be a measuring stick - a win would have been icing on the cake. Personally, I hoped to keep it closer but all the penalties made that tough from the first snap. We have known where the weaknesses were on this team and that was just reinforced big time last night.

The most important thing is coming out of this loss with the right attitude and playing Pitt tough next week. We SHOULD beat them. Keep the team moving forward.

Agree. This was always supposed to be a measuring stick - a win would have been icing on the cake. Personally, I hoped to keep it closer but all the penalties made that tough from the first snap. We have known where the weaknesses were on this team and that was just reinforced big time last night.

The most important thing is coming out of this loss with the right attitude and playing Pitt tough next week. We SHOULD beat them. Keep the team moving forward.
A loss was expected. We didn’t need a win to show progress, we just needed to compete on both sides for a complete game, and we failed. With two weeks to prepare, getting only 1 TD on offense shows we have a long way to go.

I thought the defense wasn’t as bad as it looked playing against the two best players in the country. They were going to score some points. We had our chances to be in the game and our offense specifically the WRs and O line failed us. Clemson packed the box and dared us to go over the top and we couldn’t. If we hit some long passes to back them off things could have been different. I come away from this game thinking we played hard and are just not at that level yet. The only way forward is through recruiting.

Advertisement
I thought the defense wasn’t as bad as it looked playing against the two best players in the country. They were going to score some points. We had our chances to be in the game and our offense specifically the WRs and O line failed us. Clemson packed the box and dared us to go over the top and we couldn’t. If we hit some long passes to back them off things could have been different. I come away from this game thinking we played hard and are just not at that level yet. The only way forward is through recruiting.
We also need better prep following a bye. Two weeks and only 1 TD on O reeks of poor coaching. The D looked deflated after a few key penalties. Immature.

I really didn't expect us to hang with Clemson. Was hopeful, but I wasn't surprised. I was upset with the mental mistakes coming off a bye and the weak offensive scheme. I agree that this next week is an enormous tell tale sign. If we can regroup and stuff Pitt, then we are on the right track. If this loss derails us, then we know nothing has changed. Lashlee better not run the CMR offense against Pitt. They are gonna come at us just like Clemson. They will force us to beat them deep and put the game on our receivers. Eight in the box.
Pitt is a huge test for our coaches. No reason Lashlee can’t run it up against Pitt, he just can’t be predictable.

Advertisement
Special teams is:
Kickoff- A grade
Place kicking-A grade
Punting- A grade
Punt coverage A Grade
Yup the OP just threw ST in there to help his agenda. Probably should have watched the game a little closer in that area. But besides that his synopsis was spot on.

Yup the OP just threw ST in there to help his agenda. Probably should have watched the game a little closer in that area. But besides that his synopsis was spot on.
How was our return game again? How was it last year? My agenda is we need a new ST coach. If it’s not obvious to you, then youre clueless. You’re high on Patke?

Advertisement
How was our return game again? How was it last year? My agenda is we need a new ST coach. If it’s not obvious to you, then youre clueless. You’re high on Patke?
Never said that. I simply replied to your ridiculous statement that ST was an F. I hate Patke though. I'm old school and want Sodlinger back. LOL

2016 we had a big loss against FSU and didnt rebound.

2017 we had a big loss against Pitt and didnt rebound.

Manny knows whats at stake. Or he should know it, because his seat is starting to burn.
Mind blogging we still lost to Pitt in 2017. Could’ve been #1 in the country for a week.

Advertisement
Back