Manny and WQAM and other thoughts (long)

Advertisement
I don't like starting threads too often unless I am just really really disturbed at something and I need a space to vent. Thank god CIS gives us that. Have no idea what we did back in the 80s and 90s after tough losses!

Manny was on WQAM this morning. 7am sharp. I don't have the link but here are the points.

*I am starting to get the feeling (and I know its been said on here a million times) that Manny just doesn't know how to fix this "disease" he is talking about within the program. And it is bothering him. Its like having a child that acts out all the time and no matter how many times you beat them, ground them..none of it works. They just won't act right. I heard it in Mannys voice when he talked about things that he saw leading up to the game that look familiar when they came off other bye weeks (in other words, guys BSing around and not taking game prep serious). He even said that the hotel walk through was a mess the night before. So he knew this team was not prepared and prayed that they would snap out of it come kickoff. That was disturbing to hear as a fan.

*I got the feeling that even though he loves many of the upperclassmen (Shaq and Pinck included) I think he is ready for them to go. I think they just aren't the leaders that he thought and expected them to be as he is basically a "HC in training". I think he depended on the Srs to really takeover as leaders and it didn't happen like he expected. In fact, I would go as far as to say that I got the impression that maybe the Srs are the ones that are leading this wave of not taking every week serious. You can tell Manny was guarded with his words. But I was trying to read between the lines. Whenever a HC says, "The 2020 class is hyped up and they actually have a group chat. They have the mindset that none of this will happen on our watch and that's the mentality we need. At some point, there will be a class to come in and turn this around.", then you know that he is not fully happy with how this Sr class conducted themselves as a whole leadership wise.

*He didn't get to much into Xs and Os. It was more like a therapy session for him. He was really in deep thought about the season as a whole and how things got to this point to where a team this talented is 6-5. He alluded to the fact that some of the players assume that just because you have that "U" on your helmet that certain things are a given. Like beating FIU. I got the feeling that he doesn't think it is Xs and Os related but a mental thing with this team. One thing I thought was interesting was that he said that this team feeds off of Jarren. When Jarren came out flat, the whole team went into the tank. That is a good thing and bad thing I guess. Shows he is the unquestioned leader of this team but Good God man..if Jarren doesn't have his "A" game on any given Saturday, we can assume that we are going to more than likely lose??

Those are the basics of the 20min interview. Said he doesn't expect any decommits in the 2020 class. They are solid as a rock. 2021 he is expecting some guys to drop.

I'll say this, Manny isn't going anywhere this year. That 3 game winning streak saved his job at least. But I am going to need him to stay off the yachts this offseason, stay out of the jewelry store conjuring up new pieces for next season, and stop the bravado. I am hoping he is humbled and realized being the HC at UM is more then just wearing that U on your shirt and hat, it takes hard work and dedication. He needs to make some tough decisions on his staff.

He needs to study every coach that had a bad record there first year and what they did to turn it around the second season. (Nick Saban at Bama, Urban at UF, etc) I know it sounds corny, but he needs to get into the lab and study every tendency and every detail of what coaches like this did to completely turn there program around in such a short time. His job depends on it.

He needs to make the tough decision and fire Enos and Baker. Gotta start from scratch. Neither of them are good coaches are even good recruiters. Double whammy in my book.

He needs to start taking this job serious. I look back on the last offseason and realize that Manny just didn't take this serious. He thought he could walk in, give a few speeches, hire a "good OC" and just coast to 10-11 wins. That yacht ride he took to the banquet should have been a sign for us. It was cool at the time but it looks extremely foolish now.

Sorry for the long review. I know posters will hit me with the "None of this matters. Blake and Manny have to go". Well, if they don't go, doesn't mean I am turning in my O&G gear either. Now am I going to renew my season tix? Not so sure yet. That said, I am looking to see a new Manny Diaz going into Spring ball. New focus and renewed energy. Playtime is over. His HC career depends on it. Neg away. LOL.

You really said it well. Thank you. I listened to him this morning too and had many of the same thoughts - especially your first two comments. The part about Jarren makes sense, especially after the way he has played since he came in at Pitt. The defense has been able to lean on the offense a few times and that was NOT there on Saturday.

IDK if Manny thought the job would be easy or didn't take it seriously; I do think he never expected to have the challenges he has had on defense. Small let down, yes. But not the total breakdown at times that has occurred. After all, he installed his protege as the DC. I think he believed that the offense would be the part that would take some time developing given the state of the OL and the QB room from last year. ( It had to be pretty clear by mid spring camp , when Tate Martell was clearly NOT going to win the starting QB job and the OL was still so up in the air).

Will he fire either or both of his coordinators ? IDK. Will Enos just walk away? To me, Baker is the first to go. Manny needs to take over the defense. As far as the offense, at the very least a hard look at the philosophy and scheme has to be done. We cannot continue to waste the talent of the skill guys on this team.

The players feel entitled.
Enos isn't a good OC.
Barry isnt a good OL coach.
Baker isnt a good DC.
We're bad at recruiting.
Poor playcalling.
Poor adjustments.
Disease.
Culture.

Everybody points to one of these as if it's the linchpin to success. Every single one of these needs to be addressed. If a coach/coordinator isn't getting it done, fire them. Make sure the players know that a man is out of a job not only because he wasn't good enough, but neither were they. Hammer accountability and back it up. Less carrot, more stick. Players who feel entitled and think they can get their way by threatening to transfer ride pine. Take the players one by one and encourage them to be leaders, support the leader, or shout down the cancers.

This is basic to going into a bad situation and turning it around. If he wants to be their friend, the best way to do that is to lead, regardless of whether they like him.

Solve the ******* problem.

I'm not sure if you do reviews like this after every interview but my God you should because you are great at it. Beautifully written and your own thoughts were logical. For some reason, this made me feel a bit better. But yeah, I am starting to think myself that maybe the SRs are more of the problem. It's guaranteed that Manny will get another yr so hopefully he can do what Richt couldn't do and that's be a boss and make the changes that needs to be made.
Don’t fall for the trap. Last week Shaq was the best linebacker in the history of football

I think many posters are thinking I am making excuses for Manny. If that is the case, you read my post wrong. I have come to the conclusion that unfortunately he won't be fired so unless you are just going to root for another team or waste money flying banners....how can we solve it going into next year? Again, I was leading the charge that he should be fired for going 6-6 or worse. I still think that. Unfortunately, it aint gonna happen.

He can’t. It isn’t his fault though. Our actual problems are much higher than a coach that didn’t hire himself.

Advertisement
Díaz is too soft to be able to change the culture. Players don’t fear him and to a degree, respect him. They may like him but that’s not enough to establish a certain expectation from your players.

Also, half the team are his ******* players. He chose them! What makes him think new players will change much?

No disrespect. I understand you trying to figure out what’s going on and what to do, but don’t waste brain power on this. Manny isn’t head coaching material.

None taken. I was refreshing this site all day yesterday hoping someone would break the news that "Manny Diaz Fired!" but when it didn't happen. I knew he wasn't going anywhere this season at least. Smh.

If Manny doesn’t fire Enos this offseason then all hope is lost

Enos is to Manny as Dorito is to Golden

Wait until the day after early signing day though
Nah manny will get rid of Enos. There’s no allegiance there. Blake baker will be the death of manny. Manny looks at blake like a son or some ****. He will drag us down. Multiple third and long conversions? Forget about it

Manny is too stubborn to fire both coordinators even though they both need to be let go.

Advertisement
Yes I am an old-timer but...............back in the day [post 1982 through 2002] had the offense played like it did against FIU, there were guys in our locker room who would have physically beaten someone at halftime. The message was ALWAYS clear, "I kill myself to get here and win-you better too or I will kill you." Now we "ride the cycle" after first downs. I am sick of this bs..................................Manny had better fire Enos, Baker, and Rumph in the locker room after Duke............................

Now a days they promise recruits Paradise, Sun, Beach and fun! **** no....they should do a **** Camp instead of Paradise! The message from old timers have always been..We won because we worked hard at it during the week...no fooling around and it was players led..not coaches led even though I would love to have somebody like Don Soldinger chewing *** in practice and players getting at each other and making themselves accountable. Too much instagram and social media doing "brand public relations" for themselves. we are missing the hard nose blue collar workers that doesnt care about image, just to do the work at his maximum level. That is the culture we are missing.

It's his job to motivate his team.

He can go Fvck himself with the victim act.

He is a “victim”. He was hired for a position he couldn’t do. It isn’t his fault and he didn’t hire himself. Our decision makers put him in this position and he was going to fail miserably at it.

He has no idea what to do. He is a “victim” of gross incompetence, apathy, waste and lack of accountability.

Do you blame a 10 year old for driving the car through the garage after you start the car and put him in it?

Advertisement
He is a “victim”. He was hired for a position he couldn’t do. It isn’t his fault and he didn’t hire himself. Our decision makers put him in this position and he was going to fail miserably at it.

He has no idea what to do. He is a “victim” of gross incompetence, apathy, waste and lack of accountability.

Do you blame a 10 year old for driving the car through the garage after you start the car and put him in it?

He's a slimy rat.

He lobbied for this job behind the scenes the second it opened and even hit Blake with the "let me know soon I can't keep Temple waiting" routine. The old "the sale ends today!" salesman trick.

He's not some 12-year-old King forced to wear the crown; this scumbag wanted this job and made an aggressive play for it.

I don’t blame the 10 year old but I don’t give him keys to another car

Advertisement
He needs to start taking this job serious. I look back on the last offseason and realize that Manny just didn't take this serious. He thought he could walk in, give a few speeches, hire a "good OC" and just coast to 10-11 wins. That yacht ride he took to the banquet should have been a sign for us. It was cool at the time but it looks extremely foolish now.

This

Maybe Manny should realize that his team and players don't understand they need to focus every game no matter what opponent because he has mirrored that same mentality since he got the job. Thought he could just walk in with Miami talent and beat people.

Well that's not the case when you have a **** staff and an overly ****y team that thinks the same.

For this team to be dead last in the country in 3rd down conversion % is a fireable offense alone for Enos.

But what scares me about whether Manny has the balls to fire anyone is the ole, "We have to keep the recruiting class together no matter what." theory. If Manny fires Enos, I fear that he will think a new OC will want to bring in his own guys. That said, it sounds like many of the 2020 kids love being Canes and don't care who is coaching. Manny included. Good sign in case things need to get shifty in the next 30-45 days.

He's a slimy rat.

He lobbied for this job behind the scenes the second it opened and even hit Blake with the "let me know soon I can't keep Temple waiting" routine. The old "the sale ends today!" salesman trick.

He's not some 12-year-old King forced to wear the crown; this scumbag wanted this job and made an aggressive play for it.

So does the 10 year old kid. He wants the car but people with common sense know that he can’t have it no matter what he says.

Manny is a loser, a corch from a failed regime. This was known. Nobody here should have considered him unless they wanted to fail miserably.

Advertisement
Back