Manny, Al Golden and the Blake's experiment

Added into the fact that we should be so much more dominate with a florida st program that is in complete shambles the program is in a perfect spot a down fsu and we still cant recruit and coach the program has never been worse

Advertisement
Disrespectful to compare manny to golden manny is not near the coach golden was not even close golden came into a program that was absolutely destroyed sanctions, manny is coming into a program to destroy it just like pops did to the orange bowl its the master plan
True. Golden’s flaw was his obstinance and undying loyalty to his friend( flaw for an effective head coach). Manny’s flaw is his overall incompetence in all matters related to being a head coach.

Noone is at Golden level. It was very clear early on that Golden was in over his head. All I needed to see was the first Maryland game where the QB torched us repeatedly on little bubbles and screens because our dbs were lined up 10-15 yards off the ball and we never adjusted. Golden was dead in the water by year 3 (even with a 9-4 record), but then we kept him for another year and a half before a blowout loss and midseason firing. It wasn't just that he lost, it was the way he lost.

Manny is not even close to that, but this App St. game is going to be a turning point for many who were supporting him still. This was one of those "the way we won" left a bad taste for most. If we finish with 8+ wins Manny's job is secure for at least a season or 2. Less than 8 and he's on the hot seat season for next season IMO. We shall see though.

During tonight's post game interview, Diaz felt like Golden to me during Al's last year.

Some of our CIS folks are overly negative. They're frustrated that we've been down for so long, so they go too far with their criticisms because they've been so disappointed. They claim things like, "The Canes will be lucky to win 3 games this year" and so on.

That's not what this is.

App State is a talented team. They are well-coached. They have a rep for being giant killers (not that we're anything resembling a giant).

That's not what happened tonight.

Diaz needed to come out and look good tonight. We needed to look like a well-coached team. Lashlee needed to show that he has a feel for the ebb and flow of a contested game. We needed to shut down their run game. We needed to put constant pressure on the QB. We needed to show that we could wrap up ball carriers and bring them to the turf. We needed to see our upperclass WR/TE's catch the ball. We needed to see a disciplined team.

3 years in and we're not seeing those things against App State. Not BAMA. App state. At home. Knowing how much was on the line. Knowing what this means to recruits. Knowing that public perception would be formed by how we performed.

The process for hiring Diaz was not only unprofessional, extremely unprofessional, but also moronic. Blake takes 2 hours to hire the Canes football coach. We needed a seasoned HC. We needed to make a homerun hire. We'd seen what bad hires would and have done to the program.

Blake took 2 hours to hire someone who'd NEVER been a head coach ANYWHERE to run a nationally recognized CFB program with 5 (and should have been 6) national Championships. We were reading where the BOT's was ready to spend money to set us up for success.

Tonight, very much seemed like the experiment ended. I don't want to be right about that. Unlike MANY on here, I was rooting for Manny. There were enough signs of improvement that I hoped against hope Blake was just gong to be extraordinarily lucky.

The bottomline for this season is still the same - 10 wins. But, what's changed is my expectations of that happening. I would almost have guaranteed 10 wins would've happened. Now, it seems like it's less likely than it is likely. I'm formulating reasons why this is, but at the end of the day, it lands squarely and deservedly so on Manny.

Manny has crossed over into Golden territory.
Totally agree, Manny is like PT Branham, except puts on a bad show. Manny does everything to keep the off season exciting, unfortunately game days are a hot mess. Frankly he’s overseen the D for 5 years now and we have had some terrible recruiting, and portal has saved our *** many times. Portal should compliment our team, not fill crazy massive holes

Advertisement
Added into the fact that we should be so much more dominate with a florida st program that is in complete shambles the program is in a perfect spot a down fsu and we still cant recruit and coach the program has never been worse
Not only that, but Golden was here during one of FSUs NCs. Jimbo had them rolling They were ranked every year and consistently a top 10 team. Always recruited well. Plus the Coastal was a lot tougher back then. Va Tech was a legit solid team as opposed to a laughing stock struggling against G5 teams. Pitt was better. GT also, wasn't a laughing stock losing against G5 teams. Same with Duke. Virginia is better now, but its not like they are that much better and they still aren't "Good". Then you have UNC who may have been better last season than any UNC Golden faced. The UNC teams as a whole were better when Golden was here, than were vs Manny.

Noone is at Golden level. It was very clear early on that Golden was in over his head. All I needed to see was the first Maryland game where the QB torched us repeatedly on little bubbles and screens because our dbs were lined up 10-15 yards off the ball and we never adjusted. Golden was dead in the water by year 3 (even with a 9-4 record), but then we kept him for another year and a half before a blowout loss and midseason firing. It wasn't just that he lost, it was the way he lost.

Manny is not even close to that, but this App St. game is going to be a turning point for many who were supporting him still. This was one of those "the way we won" left a bad taste for most. If we finish with 8+ wins Manny's job is secure for at least a season or 2. Less than 8 and he's on the hot seat season for next season IMO. We shall see though.
Goldens 2013 team would curb stomp any Manny UM team...Manny is worse than Golden...

My only disagreement: This doesn’t feel like Als last season. It feels like his second to last season. manny isn’t going to be fired this year. They’ll wait until he fvcks up another recruiting class or two, and pushes us even more squarely into the 3rd tier of football programs.

The bottom line here is that our expectations are not in line with reality. This administration isn’t interested in making the commitment that being a national contender requires.
I would have agreed with this before the app state game. I’m now firmly in the camp that if he’s a game from 500, either way, he’ll be let go this season. The program paid nothing to lose CMR. It paid the least amount possible for a Miami Head coach and staff. It’s going to pay almost nothing to lose Manny. There’s enough money and talent here to get a seasoned legitimate coaching staff. This one has its strengths, but sadly not enough to win the way we all know we can. The writing is on the wall and the money people the university covets most aren’t on board anymore.

I really don't fault Manny at all. I think he is doing the best he can. He should have never been hired so the fault should really be aimed at the AD. Until he's gone the same boneheaded approach to hiring will continue. Not just in football but in other of the school's programs too. If they want to keep him on in some kind of fund raising role, whatever. But they should get him clear away of operating anything in the athletic dept. Get a guy like Gino Toretta or even call Alonzo back if he is still interested. But something needs to change at top.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Goldens 2013 team would curb stomp any Manny UM team...Manny is worse than Golden...
I can't agree with this, not after 2 games, 1 of which was Bama. I'm not saying this Manny team can't be worse than that, but we're not there yet. That team couldn't stop a pass to save their life. I knew the losing streak would come shortly after watching the North Carolina game, because up to that point we hadn't played a team with a pulse in the passing game. Eric Ebron lit us up on the same route over and over and we just watched him do it with no adjustments. Then the juggernaut Wake Forest lit us up for 300 passing yards. Once we played an actual good team in FSU, we were exposed for the remainder of the season. We made Logan Thomas, a converted TE from a 5 loss VT team, look like a 1st rd QB with almost 400 yards passing. Who could forget the Teddy Bridgewater throat slash in the bowl game. I still haven't made peace with that to this day.

This was our best season under Golden!!!!

The one thing I'll take positively from that team is our LBs and Duke Johnson in comparison to what we have right now.

I can't agree with this, not after 2 games, 1 of which was Bama. I'm not saying this Manny team can't be worse than that, but we're not there yet. That team couldn't stop a pass to save their life. I knew the losing streak would come shortly after watching the North Carolina game, because up to that point we hadn't played a team with a pulse in the passing game. Eric Ebron lit us up on the same route over and over and we just watched him do it with no adjustments. Then the juggernaut Wake Forest lit us up for 300 passing yards. Once we played an actual good team in FSU, we were exposed for the remainder of the season. We made Logan Thomas, a converted TE from a 5 loss VT team, look like a 1st rd QB with almost 400 yards passing. Who could forget the Teddy Bridgewater throat slash in the bowl game. I still haven't made peace with that to this day.

This was our best season under Golden!!!!

The one thing I'll take positively from that team is our LBs and Duke Johnson in comparison to what we have right now.
Duke would run for 200+ against this Garbage D....Morris would light this secondary up for 400+....Please Stop...

Duke would run for 200+ against this Garbage D....Morris would light this secondary up for 400+....Please Stop...
I don't disagree with that, but that defense wouldn't fare any better. Scrub QBs were putting up 300+ passing on that defense. Duke the team actually ran for almost 400 on that defense.

Duke Johnson was one of our best in school history. Stemo was hit or miss. One game he's an all-world QB and goes for 400 and the next game he goes for 150.

Advertisement
I don't disagree with that, but that defense wouldn't fare any better. Scrub QBs were putting up 300+ passing on that defense. Duke the team actually ran for almost 400 on that defense.

Duke Johnson was one of our best in school history. Stemo was hit or miss. One game he's an all-world QB and goes for 400 and the next game he goes for 150.
Lol at going for 150 against this Secondary...He'd go for 150 against Ivey alone....Dorsett would be 10 for 150 himself....2013 beat a Good UF team with an Excellent Secondary...please stop with the nonsense...

as long as there is no extension for Manny, im good. **** either flame out this year w a year left on his deal or **** turn it around and get an extra year tacked on (this should only be the case IF he wins the conference at this point).

Disrespectful to compare manny to golden manny is not near the coach golden was not even close golden came into a program that was absolutely destroyed sanctions, manny is coming into a program to destroy it just like pops did to the orange bowl its the master plan
Comparing Manny to Golden is like comparing elephant diarrhea to rhino diarrhea.

Advertisement
I would have agreed with this before the app state game. I’m now firmly in the camp that if he’s a game from 500, either way, he’ll be let go this season. The program paid nothing to lose CMR. It paid the least amount possible for a Miami Head coach and staff. It’s going to pay almost nothing to lose Manny. There’s enough money and talent here to get a seasoned legitimate coaching staff. This one has its strengths, but sadly not enough to win the way we all know we can. The writing is on the wall and the money people the university covets most aren’t on board anymore.
You might be right. I’ve heard a couple times that there may be the stomach to replace the staff if things go south. I’d much rather see the light go on this week, crush MSU and win out.

Fail fast. I ain’t working. People with the purse strings are only in this spinning rock for so long. Find the right dude and do it fast. Just my opinion. Watching this O is painful. Seeing guys wide open in our secondary is painful.

Manny bout to lead these boys to their first ACC championship and we still doing this?
Blink 182 Reaction GIF

WTF ya talking’ about. You bumped this from Sept.

But yeah, he sucks.

Advertisement
Back