Manny, Al Golden and the Blake's experiment

filmcane

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
During tonight's post game interview, Diaz felt like Golden to me during Al's last year.

Some of our CIS folks are overly negative. They're frustrated that we've been down for so long, so they go too far with their criticisms because they've been so disappointed. They claim things like, "The Canes will be lucky to win 3 games this year" and so on.

That's not what this is.

App State is a talented team. They are well-coached. They have a rep for being giant killers (not that we're anything resembling a giant).

That's not what happened tonight.

Diaz needed to come out and look good tonight. We needed to look like a well-coached team. Lashlee needed to show that he has a feel for the ebb and flow of a contested game. We needed to shut down their run game. We needed to put constant pressure on the QB. We needed to show that we could wrap up ball carriers and bring them to the turf. We needed to see our upperclass WR/TE's catch the ball. We needed to see a disciplined team.

3 years in and we're not seeing those things against App State. Not BAMA. App state. At home. Knowing how much was on the line. Knowing what this means to recruits. Knowing that public perception would be formed by how we performed.

The process for hiring Diaz was not only unprofessional, extremely unprofessional, but also moronic. Blake takes 2 hours to hire the Canes football coach. We needed a seasoned HC. We needed to make a homerun hire. We'd seen what bad hires would and have done to the program.

Blake took 2 hours to hire someone who'd NEVER been a head coach ANYWHERE to run a nationally recognized CFB program with 5 (and should have been 6) national Championships. We were reading where the BOT's was ready to spend money to set us up for success.

Tonight, very much seemed like the experiment ended. I don't want to be right about that. Unlike MANY on here, I was rooting for Manny. There were enough signs of improvement that I hoped against hope Blake was just gong to be extraordinarily lucky.

The bottomline for this season is still the same - 10 wins. But, what's changed is my expectations of that happening. I would almost have guaranteed 10 wins would've happened. Now, it seems like it's less likely than it is likely. I'm formulating reasons why this is, but at the end of the day, it lands squarely and deservedly so on Manny.

Manny has crossed over into Golden territory.

Advertisement
**** my pants.jpg

My only disagreement: This doesn’t feel like Als last season. It feels like his second to last season. manny isn’t going to be fired this year. They’ll wait until he fvcks up another recruiting class or two, and pushes us even more squarely into the 3rd tier of football programs.

The bottom line here is that our expectations are not in line with reality. This administration isn’t interested in making the commitment that being a national contender requires.

What many of suffer from are the expectations of 20years ago. College football has changed. Speed is everywhere now .Offenses are different .I think to some extent the S Fla athlete is different now-lots of Demographic changes.. App State had a guy faster than anyone on our team. College football caught us and passed us and we are in catch up mode. People thinking we will run the table this year are foolish. I think 8 wins and a likely bowl loss is more realistic unless we have a eureka moment.
A UM BOT made up of mostly leftists don't understand the male fanaticism towards college football. They don't take it seriously . It really declined under Shalala the hobbitt who screwed the University in many ways. No we have Frenk who thinks football is played with a round ball and a goal net. Its an upward battle.I go game to game.

Manny needs a rock-bottom loss like Al’s 58-0 rectal exam or to lose the locker room and free fall to a 5-win or less season. I don’t see anyone on the schedule to given Diaz a colonoscopy so it may have to be the second option, which includes a loss at FSU.

As far a Blake goes, he needs to depart as well.
  • He’s the one who failed to conduct a proper search after Richt gave him a career-maker economic gift.
  • He’s the one who paid Temple $4M for a HC with a 0-0 career record and who was employed by Miami only 17 days prior.
  • He’s the one who failed to make a deal for the former Cane player/Asst Coach and now HC with two conference titles and huge national TV game win at Ohio State earlier in the day, even when a prominent booster(s) offered to pick up the tab.
I was also rooting for Manny. I’m tired after 15 years of mediocre-to-bad football. Can we be what Alabama is right now? No, probably not. But there’s no doubt in my mind Miami can be a consistent Top 10-ACC Champion-CFP-type program with the right leadership.

Advertisement
Manny Diaz supporters accuse his critics of being unrealistic, shooting for the stars, living in the past, etc. The reality is, it's not about that. The disappointment and frustration is not because we are not a top 5 team and we are missing the playoff year after year. It is about doing the best with the talent we have. We get enough recruiting talent to win the Coastal. All what we want is to consistently be a top 10-15 team which is very doable with reasonable coaching. We don't need a "Saban" or "Meyer" to be that team. The statement we hear often: Saban is not walking through this door. As if we need someone like him to win the Coastal or be a top 10-15 team. We Don't.

We are located in the middle of one of most fertile HS football grounds in the country, if not the most. We are still a recognized college football brand despite our dismal record in the last 20 years.

Manny Diaz failed in many aspects, from recruiting and developing players to game planning and preparation. The excuse of him being only in his 3rd. year as a HC is invalid. He has been around for 5 years going on his six year, recruiting and developing HALF of the team and the one who put them in the position to win or lose.

The seasoned fans who've been watching this football team for long time and have witnessed the decline and the failed experiments know a bad coach when they see one. Unfortunately, Manny fits the bill.

I do hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
During tonight's post game interview, Diaz felt like Golden to me during Al's last year.

Some of our CIS folks are overly negative. They're frustrated that we've been down for so long, so they go too far with their criticisms because they've been so disappointed. They claim things like, "The Canes will be lucky to win 3 games this year" and so on.

That's not what this is.

App State is a talented team. They are well-coached. They have a rep for being giant killers (not that we're anything resembling a giant).

That's not what happened tonight.

Diaz needed to come out and look good tonight. We needed to look like a well-coached team. Lashlee needed to show that he has a feel for the ebb and flow of a contested game. We needed to shut down their run game. We needed to put constant pressure on the QB. We needed to show that we could wrap up ball carriers and bring them to the turf. We needed to see our upperclass WR/TE's catch the ball. We needed to see a disciplined team.

3 years in and we're not seeing those things against App State. Not BAMA. App state. At home. Knowing how much was on the line. Knowing what this means to recruits. Knowing that public perception would be formed by how we performed.

The process for hiring Diaz was not only unprofessional, extremely unprofessional, but also moronic. Blake takes 2 hours to hire the Canes football coach. We needed a seasoned HC. We needed to make a homerun hire. We'd seen what bad hires would and have done to the program.

Blake took 2 hours to hire someone who'd NEVER been a head coach ANYWHERE to run a nationally recognized CFB program with 5 (and should have been 6) national Championships. We were reading where the BOT's was ready to spend money to set us up for success.

Tonight, very much seemed like the experiment ended. I don't want to be right about that. Unlike MANY on here, I was rooting for Manny. There were enough signs of improvement that I hoped against hope Blake was just gong to be extraordinarily lucky.

The bottomline for this season is still the same - 10 wins. But, what's changed is my expectations of that happening. I would almost have guaranteed 10 wins would've happened. Now, it seems like it's less likely than it is likely. I'm formulating reasons why this is, but at the end of the day, it lands squarely and deservedly so on Manny.

Manny has crossed over into Golden territory.
Manny got hired with no interview. There's only a handful of coaches that would garner that type of respect and Manny Diaz is definitely not even close to them.

Advertisement
Manny needs a rock-bottom loss like Al’s 58-0 rectal exam or to lose the locker room and free fall to a 5-win or less season. I don’t see anyone on the schedule to given Diaz a colonoscopy so it may have to be the second option, which includes a loss at FSU.

• He’s the one who failed to conduct a proper search after Richt gave him a career-maker economic gift.
  • He’s the one who paid Temple $4M for a HC with a 0-0 career record and who was employed by Miami only 17 days prior.
  • He’s the one who failed to make a deal for the former Cane player/Asst Coach and now HC with two conference titles and huge national TV game win at Ohio State earlier in the day, even when a prominent booster(s) offered to pick up the tab.
I was also rooting for Manny. I’m tired after 15 years of mediocre-to-bad football. Can we be what Alabama is right now? No, probably not. But there’s no doubt in my mind Miami can be a consistent Top 10-ACC Champion-CFP-type program with the right leadership.
**** TemplarCane! This is spot on! If you have given up, then the house is definitely falling because you hung dafug in there while the rest of us wanted Manny and his staph gone a while back 🤣

Advertisement
Probably not. Firing James would at least indicate that the higher ups might care. I'm inclined to believe that James would be replaced by someone of equal qualification and goals. However, we know for certain that with James in place, mediocrity is guaranteed.

we all talk about how we need a seasoned AD to hire our next HC. Well, we also need a competent admin to hire our next AD.

Idk Templar, I see very much a night game at UNC with Miami going into that game 2-2 hanging on by a thread and meeting the manny buzz saw that is Brown and Howell. I very much see that game having the ability to become the colonoscopy that was Goldy s Clemson 15 game. Your thoughts?

Advertisement

I would settle for a team that comes out prepared and ready to play, also would welcome back a team that has physical explosion
we seem so weak every where........ man what a damning indictment of James tenure as an AD with those 3 bullet points

Disrespectful to compare manny to golden manny is not near the coach golden was not even close golden came into a program that was absolutely destroyed sanctions, manny is coming into a program to destroy it just like pops did to the orange bowl its the master plan

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back