Man vs Zone Thursday

DeadPoets

Senior
What will we predominantly see from D'Onofrio Thursday?

More press man coverage against UNC's passing attack?
Or zone if UNC goes with the dual threat QB?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Miami likes to try and make teams adjust to what they are doing.... so i just think D'onofrio is probably going to stick to what he usually does w/ the secondary, which seems to be zone during 1st and 2nd downs, and maybe switch it up w/ some man during for sure passing situations on 3rd downs.

By sticking to what D'onofrio usually does, they should already be ready for a dual threat QB b/c of the zone schemes

Obviously UNC is a spread offense so AQM and McCord are going to be UNLEASHED and D'onofrio is going to see if UNC's QB can make the right decisions under pressure against zone coverage consistently.

Our opportunistic defense is going to have a field day in the turnover department imo.

I still think we play too much zone. We seem better suited for man.
If we're getting beat by a running QB I'd rather see us spy him with Deon Bush or Cornelius, etc and play cover 1

This will be our first real test with a passing offense. We have done well with most offenses this year but none had legit passing games.

UNC will throw the ball, In the past we have played qb with a pulse they have shredded our zone. We will see for sure if this has changed thursday. This is why I still worry about this game. Especially if we sit in zone the majority of the time. Renner is good enough to pick it apart. Hopefully our pass rushers come to eat this game, if not.......

Advertisement
U don't want to play too much man vs. a dual threat QB. If one of our DL gets out of his rush lane, the QB will feast on rush yds. because the DB's and LB's will have their backs to the QB.
This is why Shannon's defenses always had trouble defending running Qb's.
Even when we were good (early 2000s), teams with dual threat QB's gave us fits. Shannon's defenses, as a head coach, had problems against both type of QB's because people had figured out how to consistently beat his Cover 2 man scheme.

This will be our first real test with a passing offense. We have done well with most offenses this year but none had legit passing games.

UNC will throw the ball, In the past we have played qb with a pulse they have shredded our zone. We will see for sure if this has changed thursday. This is why I still worry about this game. Especially if we sit in zone the majority of the time. Renner is good enough to pick it apart. Hopefully our pass rushers come to eat this game, if not.......

lol UNC just b/c they will throw the ball doesnt mean they are good at it..... they are not. Especially under pressure, Renner is WOAT when he is under pressure and has to make a throw on the move.

Last year UNC's passing didnt beat us, the combination of Gio Bernard and Stephen Morris deciding to take himself out of the game during the last drive b/c of a bs twisted ankle were the reasons.... I have no worries about this game.

and the word "hopefully" in regards to our pass rushers definitely doesnt come to mind..... the game is already over from that stand point alone.

I still think we play too much zone. We seem better suited for man.
If we're getting beat by a running QB I'd rather see us spy him with Deon Bush or Cornelius, etc and play cover 1

It has been said ad nauseum in this forum, that the kids have no idea what zone coverage is coming into the program. If we play press man, we're going back to Shannon days.
Even Tracy Howard said it works. Zone is very difficult to beat once mastered. Stick with it, it forces qbs to make reads and that small pause may allow McCord or Muhammed get that strip sack!

AQM and McCord will play in 3rd and 6+ yds. Even though they pass the ball, we'll have our regular D-Line on 1st and 2nd unless its 2nd and very long.

Advertisement
We may have not played the most prolific passing offenses but we are still 2nd in defensive passing efficiency which is incredible. Just keep doing what we're doing and make renner beat us. Bernard was their offense and he's gone we should roll

Miami likes to try and make teams adjust to what they are doing.... so i just think D'onofrio is probably going to stick to what he usually does w/ the secondary, which seems to be zone during 1st and 2nd downs, and maybe switch it up w/ some man during for sure passing situations on 3rd downs.

By sticking to what D'onofrio usually does, they should already be ready for a dual threat QB b/c of the zone schemes

Obviously UNC is a spread offense so AQM and McCord are going to be UNLEASHED and D'onofrio is going to see if UNC's QB can make the right decisions under pressure against zone coverage consistently.

Our opportunistic defense is going to have a field day in the turnover department imo.

How so, Zone?

FWIW, as I've even told some players on this team (who seemed completely unconcerned), my issue with this game is that Renner is an accurate QB and his accuracy goes up like 5% points at home. Those are the types of QBs who've made our zone coverages look bad to very bad.

FWIW, as I've even told some players on this team (who seemed completely unconcerned), my issue with this game is that Renner is an accurate QB and his accuracy goes up like 5% points at home. Those are the types of QBs who've made our zone coverages look bad to very bad.

What do you mean by "completely unconcerned"? Like overlooking ****?

Advertisement
U don't want to play too much man vs. a dual threat QB. If one of our DL gets out of his rush lane, the QB will feast on rush yds. because the DB's and LB's will have their backs to the QB.
This is why Shannon's defenses always had trouble defending running Qb's.
Even when we were good (early 2000s), teams with dual threat QB's gave us fits. Shannon's defenses, as a head coach, had problems against both type of QB's because people had figured out how to consistently beat his Cover 2 man scheme.

When we played Daniels at USF we used a ton of man coverage with a spy. McCarthy or Spence would spy Daniels, wait for the D-linemen to get into their rushing lanes, then go get his ***. Kinda like a delayed blitz.

What do you mean by "completely unconcerned"? Like overlooking ****?

No. You're reachering...a lot.

IMO man is a great coverage if you've got the horses. There's openings in zone, and you can usually identify before the snap. The same can't be said about man coverage. You gotta FIND THE OPENING via match-ups. If your primary receiver can't get off the press then you're forced to hold the ball longer. Man coverage also forces the QB to make more accurate throws.

Advertisement

Yep, the LB scare the **** out of me in coverage

I personally would like us to play man against North Carolina, gives us the best opportunity to win the game. I still don't believe he confident in his accuracy against man than he is against zone. He likes to dink and donk, man up with bump coverage, will freeze him up and force throws which leads to picks.

I surrendered my DC position to Mark in the third quarter of the gator game the third time our offiense went 3 and out and our defense just kept dening them. This is not our old defense with DT that were faster than the other team's RB and OLBs than could cover the fastes WR on the other team. They are bringing pain, zone or man, they are bringing pain. That is good enough for me because pain makes cowards of the other side and we firgging OWN the 4th quarter again.

AQM and McCord will play in 3rd and 4+ yds. Even though they pass the ball, we'll have our regular D-Line on 1st and 2nd unless its 2nd and very long.

Fixed. McCord has earned the trust and right to be on the field in increased situations. UNC doesn't have a prolific running game and the chances they regularly count on a run play in anything more than 3rd and 2 is very slim. I'm also fairly confident that the AQM and McCord will be unleashed in many 2nd and 7+ situations this game.

The playmaking ability of that package combined with UNC's dependence on the pass game adds up the most snaps that pair has gotten this season coming in this game. Should be fun to watch.

Advertisement
Back