Malik Curtis 2021 Recruit (Thread Title Edited)

They need to get somebody who knows how to evaluate ...CJ had elite size 6'2 180 with 10.4 speed coming out of HS...domimatwd at CB before stepping foot on campus..made kids with speed look slow in HS....Curtis has good speed on film pulling away from slow kids....it's hard to tell how he would fair against true d1 db speed imo....also, if he sees money in it, why is he not playing some CB right now? I know he has enough speed to play the position, we just need to get kids already use to playing the position....Rumph talks about kids with bad habits maybe he sees this kid as a good project? Who knows? but with all the DBs in the south we shouldn't need project CBs at Miami, especially after Bethel....before anybody goes off again ..I never said Malik couldn't play for us on offense...I said he has great ball skills, my gripe has been about landing more legit CBs....if ASU can come land a kid like Edgewater 6'1 185 Hill 11.12 .. we should be able to get them a dime a dozen ...
That kid should’ve been in the class regardless

Advertisement
There are always players that are mentioned as Charles Woodson types that can play both sides of the ball but Malik has legit potential in all 3 phases. Even if he stays at CB, I wouldn’t mind giving him some snaps on offense here and there. Bubble screens, jet sweeps, 9 routes etc. Outside of returning kicks, I’d try to get him the ball a few times a game. That speed is electric.

Whichever position he ultimately plays, it may take him a year or 2, he’s going to be special. I like that he WANTS to play corner though, he could make some big money there.

Last edited:
They need to get somebody who knows how to evaluate ...CJ had elite size 6'2 180 with 10.4 speed coming out of HS...domimated at CB before stepping foot on campus..made kids with speed look slow in HS....Curtis has good speed on film pulling away from slow kids....it's hard to tell how he would fair against true d1 db speed imo....also, if he sees money in it, why is he not playing some CB right now? I know he has enough speed to play the position, we just need to get kids already use to playing the position....Rumph talks about kids with bad habits maybe he sees this kid as a good project? Who knows? but with all the DBs in the south we shouldn't need project CBs at Miami, especially after Bethel....before anybody goes off again ..I never said Malik couldn't play for us on offense...I said he has great ball skills, my gripe has been about landing more legit CBs....if ASU can come land a kid like Edgewater 6'1 185 Hill 11.12 .. we should be able to get them a dime a dozen ...
His coaches need him at WR because he's there best player. He literally scored all there points on Friday lol. He impacts the game more at WR for them right now

His coaches need him at WR because he's there best player. He literally scored all there points on Friday lol. He impacts the game more at WR for them right now
Facts.

If you're a coach, you want to waste your only scoring threat's energy on defense? No way.

If this kid played on a team like MNW, I'm sure he would be getting time at CB.

Advertisement
They lost 28-20...Looks like his team also need some better dbs .. why not let him play both sides? (Verot gave up 2 passing tds to some kid name Girad) Especially if he plans on playing CB at a school like Miami...

Last edited:
One thing to consider: I’ve heard Curtis actually wants to play CB.

Maybe he sees the money in it. CJ Henderson is a comparison I’ve heard from the inside.

Wouldnt be surprised. I remember Duke Johnson saying if he could go back he would focus on being a CB instead. Much longer shelf life and much easier on the body

One thing to consider: I’ve heard Curtis actually wants to play CB.

Maybe he sees the money in it. CJ Henderson is a comparison I’ve heard from the inside.
He’s only 17. He doesn’t know what he wants or what is best for him. I think he should let us, the CIS members, make the decision on his behalf. I for one say slot receiver. What say you?

Wouldnt be surprised. I remember Duke Johnson saying if he could go back he would focus on being a CB instead. Much longer shelf life and much easier on the body
I could see that compared to RB. But why would that be the case compared to WR?

Advertisement
I could see that compared to RB. But why would that be the case compared to WR?

That is a good call. Curtis is a little guy and seems the average NFL WR is getting bigger these days. He could also easily be a CB in the mold of Buchannon and return kicks. CB's with ball skills are a nice luxury to have. See how many INT's we have had the last couple years and see how many were returned for TD's.

That is a good call. Curtis is a little guy and seems the average NFL WR is getting bigger these days. He could also easily be a CB in the mold of Buchannon and return kicks. CB's with ball skills are a nice luxury to have. See how many INT's we have had the last couple years and see how many were returned for TD's.
He's thin but doesn't seem "little"

He's 5'11 and rangy. I would agree with most of you I like him at WR best...But I can see why he'd be tried at corner too.

Either way I think he's probably the most underrated kid in this class and I just want him in UM uniform. I've loved the tape since last year when LCE (I believe) first posted.

He's thin but doesn't seem "little"

He's 5'11 and rangy. I would agree with most of you I like him at WR best...But I can see why he'd be tried at corner too.

Either way I think he's probably the most underrated kid in this class and I just want him in UM uniform. I've loved the tape since last year when LCE (I believe) first posted.

Did not know he was 5'11. I do know a coach at his HS who said he is probably 155 on a good day. But he can probably gain good weight in a good nutrition and weight program. Should be able to keep that speed too

Like you said, just get him on campus and figure it out

Did not know he was 5'11. I do know a coach at his HS who said he is probably 155 on a good day. But he can probably gain good weight in a good nutrition and weight program. Should be able to keep that speed too

Like you said, just get him on campus and figure it out

I believe that was also back in late winter/spring? I digress if I'm wrong...Point being, hopefully he is up in the 160s by now.

Advertisement
They lost 28-20...Looks like his team also need some better dbs .. why not let him play both sides? (Verot gave up 2 passing tds to some kid name Girad) Especially if he plans on playing CB at a school like Miami...
He will be less effective at both roles. I've never done it, but I imagine playing both ways in high school is extremely exhausting/difficult not only during the game but in practice.

Jeez that's a crisp, quick curl route. In an offense that excels at getting single coverage; good luck stopping that curl while honoring his speed. If you try to jump you're an absolute scorching on a double move waiting to happen.

Last edited:
Advertisement
He will be less effective at both roles. I've never done it, but I imagine playing both ways in high school is extremely exhausting/difficult not only during the game but in practice.
I was no where near as good as these guys, but was all state. Played mlb and rb/fb. Really depleted the stamina. Couldn't imagine playing two positions at this high of a level in the Florida heat.

They need to get somebody who knows how to evaluate ...CJ had elite size 6'2 180 with 10.4 speed coming out of HS...domimated at CB before stepping foot on campus..made kids with speed look slow in HS....Curtis has good speed on film pulling away from slow kids....it's hard to tell how he would fair against true d1 db speed imo....also, if he sees money in it, why is he not playing some CB right now? I know he has enough speed to play the position, we just need to get kids already use to playing the position....Rumph talks about kids with bad habits maybe he sees this kid as a good project? Who knows? but with all the DBs in the south we shouldn't need project CBs at Miami, especially after Bethel....before anybody goes off again ..I never said Malik couldn't play for us on offense...I said he has great ball skills, my gripe has been about landing more legit CBs....if ASU can come land a kid like Edgewater 6'1 185 Hill 11.12 .. we should be able to get them a dime a dozen ...
I agree in some aspects but Cj henderson never “dominated” at cb because he barely played it before getting to Uf

Advertisement
Back