2023 Malik Bryant 23 olb

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to call Nick stupid, but this is stupid. A salary cap can only work in a league with athletes as employees so that there is collective bargaining between the league and the players. College athletes aren't employees of their schools or leagues, and never will be. Their college careers are too short for one thing. For another, the schools don't want to give every college athlete all the benefits that employees receive; insurance, pension funds, etc..
And even in salary cap leagues, there is no cap on endorsements, hence why athletes prefer playing in big markets over small.

Nick has either; (a) not thought out his stupid statements, (b) is too stupid to understand the legal issues (unlikely since he coached in the NFL), or (3) is just talking out of his *** because he is losing at recruiting in the NIL world. I will go with (c). Nick is not stupid but he is very, very frustrated that he no longer controls his own world.
Nick is stupid.

Advertisement
Yeah, the fact they can get paid legitimately and work on their social media status while still in HS are massive advantages. I know bags mean no taxes. But legitimacy trumps that. I mean, we're all capitalists here, right?
I can't help but think it'll be a ****show around early signing day. Not necessarily with Miami. Just in general. Some of these schools (UF) are going to have a lot of unspent funds burning holes in their pockets. Somebody is going to end up with an unexpected massive offer right before signing day.

So I just wonder how many guys around the country won't sign early just to see how much they can get after ESD, and whether we've been over or underestimating that number.
I don’t think it’ll be as crazy as some think. I also can’t believe i’m typing that. Two months ago i’d thought I was drunk posting if I read that.

I hate to call Nick stupid, but this is stupid. A salary cap can only work in a league with athletes as employees so that there is collective bargaining between the league and the players. College athletes aren't employees of their schools or leagues, and never will be. Their college careers are too short for one thing. For another, the schools don't want to give every college athlete all the benefits that employees receive; insurance, pension funds, etc..
And even in salary cap leagues, there is no cap on endorsements, hence why athletes prefer playing in big markets over small.

Nick has either; (a) not thought out his stupid statements, (b) is too stupid to understand the legal issues (unlikely since he coached in the NFL), or (3) is just talking out of his *** because he is losing at recruiting in the NIL world. I will go with (c). Nick is not stupid but he is very, very frustrated that he no longer controls his own world.
I alluded to this elsewhere. How the **** do they think they are about to get even 30-40 schools’ worth of athletes to join a players association to have a salary cap, even reducing to two super conferences worth of teams. If they bargain and the other schools don’t does that shift the tide? Even if it goes down to the two super conferences. Would it also include the other sports or would they be separate? Does it cause issues from the 501c3 status? How about if other schools are fine with it and were tired of the old system? It is ridiculous.

I alluded to this elsewhere. How the **** do they think they are about to get even 30-40 schools’ worth of athletes to join a players association to have a salary cap, even reducing to two super conferences worth of teams. If they bargain and the other schools don’t does that shift the tide? Even if it goes down to the two super conferences. Would it also include the other sports or would they be separate? Does it cause issues from the 501c3 status? How about if other schools are fine with it and were tired of the old system? It is ridiculous.
Absolutely right. As a practical matter it is impossible. Especially when compared to the relatively few number of athletes in pro leagues.
Who would be a player reps for the schools? A senior has enough experience to do this?
Who would be the player union president (like Chris Paul), a 21 year old?
How would team voting be done?
You and I are just scratching at the surface of the million reasons why a college athlete union will never happen. And without that go Nick's dreams of a salary cap since there is no salary.

I am almost offended, like you, when a coach or talking media head even raises this argument because it tells me they have spent even one second actually thinking about this issue but are just expressing some desire of theirs. To me it's the equivalent of saying I wish everyone was rich.
Then the media member throws in the inevitable, "someone smarter than me will figure this out". The people smarter than the media member, of which there are many, have already figured out that a salary cap and collective bargaining will never work in college which is why no serious person even proposes it.

Advertisement
I really don't feel like reading the attached Supreme Court opinion that paved the way for NIL, but I don't think Congress has the power to limit a person's right to earn.

This is spot on. SCOTUS is the boogeyman as it relates to the NCAA and its ability to curb or limit NIL. In years past, SEC schools and select "blue bloods" could rely on the NCAA for selective enforcement of the rules. What SCOTUS did was effectively take the club the NCAA use to use on the UMs and USCs of the world away and then they threatened to use that same club on the NCAA. Pay attention to who is crying the loudest about NIL. It ain't the schools who have been the victims of the selective enforcement (except for some of the idiots at USC.)

Ya’ll really tried , you upped the money dramatically. We just had such a big lead and the kid doesn’t seem to want to be in Gainesville. Tbh you were the best deal and that wasn’t changing.

Basically this cycle, we're....

7448e6a0b4fa0b42266e089c13654d23.gif

Absolutely right. As a practical matter it is impossible. Especially when compared to the relatively few number of athletes in pro leagues.
Who would be a player reps for the schools? A senior has enough experience to do this?
Who would be the player union president (like Chris Paul), a 21 year old?
How would team voting be done?
You and I are just scratching at the surface of the million reasons why a college athlete union will never happen. And without that go Nick's dreams of a salary cap since there is no salary.

I am almost offended, like you, when a coach or talking media head even raises this argument because it tells me they have spent even one second actually thinking about this issue but are just expressing some desire of theirs. To me it's the equivalent of saying I wish everyone was rich.
Then the media member throws in the inevitable, "someone smarter than me will figure this out". The people smarter than the media member, of which there are many, have already figured out that a salary cap and collective bargaining will never work in college which is why no serious person even proposes it.
It’s even more ridiculous when it is a former professional athlete. Were you paying attention even a little to how this was set up or why you were paying union dues?

I never heard he was a backup there , they wanted him until we pulled away. Then the excuses started. I won’t call it a 100 % wrap but like Rashada we’re in a nice spot even though we aren’t the best deal.

I wish the deals were made public where UF could feel even worse about themselves and their recruiting.
I think about my days as a student in the late 90's. My grades were good enough for a free ride to UF or FSU. But I had no interest in those sh*tholes. Pay for the private school experience in MIAMI! No brainer. Now imagine getting paid big bucks legally. This is such a dream come true

Advertisement
Regulation. They're trying to get a salary cap was my understanding but that wasn't straight up verbalized.
He wants to add a cap so he can continue his illegal transactions and keep the playing level uneven.

When people criticize NIL and say “we need a cap” don’t realize this would keep Bama, OSU, UGA on top again. This is America, god **** it. Kids should capitalize on their name or brand without regulations that take money away from their pockets (outside of taxes).

Last edited:
I don’t think it’ll be as crazy as some think. I also can’t believe i’m typing that. Two months ago i’d thought I was drunk posting if I read that.

Market is already self correcting. Kids aren’t even getting paid in some places. niL is nice hit 95% of these kids re picking schools for tower reasons than NIL just like how it’s always been. The top of the top have always gotten paid.

Others have always gotten deals on cars and side cash.

Nicky only wants to play by the rules now because they don’t favor that fvckin greaseball. Not the kids, not the families, just him.
Saban doesn't to play by the rules. He wants an artificial salary cap in place so that he can maintain his advantageous position by being able to operate outside of the rules in ways that most other programs can't

He wants a salary cap to limit other team's reach while SEC schools continue to have money flowing under the table after the NIL money runs out. They arent gonna think about it outside of those parameters
He wants a salary cap so that his illegal bags can become meaningful again. He will probably get his way. However, we are players now. We can get just as illegal as any SEC team, and with a billionaire lawyer overseeing things I think we will be just fine. Bring it.
Green Bay Packers Money GIF by Martellus Bennett's Text Back Pack

Advertisement
A NIL salary cap isn't going to happen. Or IF it does, it'll end up right back in court where its shot down all over again.

Since Saban wants players to "earn it" he clearly wants to set a cap on how much incoming freshman can make. The supreme court would shoot that down all over again. Telling someone they cannot profit off their NIL is exactly what they ruled against. Good luck with that one.

What about setting a yearly or seasonal cap on the school? Not gonna work. It implies that players would not be allowed to increase their NIL income during the season because of the cap. That's not gonna fly either.

Think about it. Would it be ok if CBS or FOX or ESPN start promoting games featuring the Heisman frontrunner or likely #1 overall pick, while he wouldn't be allowed to sign any additional NIL contracts because of a salary cap? The courts would shoot that **** down.

And since the NCAA can't do ****, the hypothetical cap would need a congress willing to come together on a bill that limits NIL income.

Its not going to happen. Saban has been able to do whatever he wanted for the last decade because that **** Emmert protected him. And now that other schools have an advantage he can't exploit and isn't in control of, he has a problem with it.

Nobody besides Alabama fans will miss that douche when he finally retires to go pout in the corner and talk about doing things the old fashioned way with car dealerships and not getting caught cheating.

**** him.

Advertisement
I can't help but think it'll be a ****show around early signing day. Not necessarily with Miami. Just in general. Some of these schools (UF) are going to have a lot of unspent funds burning holes in their pockets. Somebody is going to end up with an unexpected massive offer right before signing day.

So I just wonder how many guys around the country won't sign early just to see how much they can get after ESD, and whether we've been over or underestimating that number.
UF can spend their “unspent funds” on complementing their exquisite Mac & cheese meals with some of these

1A76B706-186F-481A-97F8-6B4D9D99C5E9.jpeg

Saban doesn't to play by the rules. He wants an artificial salary cap in place so that he can maintain his advantageous position by being able to operate outside of the rules in ways that most other programs can't
Exactly. He just wants old times back where other teams play by the ‘rules’ while they slide extra under the table again. But good luck getting anything through Congress cuz how do they justify controlling what a private company pays someone to promote their company in an open market. No different then Lebron or Aaron Rodgers promoting brands.

They’d be going down a slippery slope, at that point why not cap coaching salaries to make access to quality coaching fair to small teams. Or maybe cap CEO salaries?

He’s just setting a narrative so when Bama’s dominance falls off he can blame NIL claiming he’s at a ‘disadvantage’ rather then face claims he’s losing it with age. All the while avoiding any mention he’s been operating at a massive advantage for the past decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back