Major Applewhite to be named new offensive coordinator at Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.
My own confusion is largely:
If he was told "it's still gonna happen" would he still be silent or give us an update?
If he was told "it might still happen" would he give us an update?
Probably not in both cases.
If he was told "definitely won't happen" would he give us an update?
Probably yes. Maybe?
LOL.

at this point, there have been reports out saying it's not going to applewhite by what most would consider bigger media names. if stefan still believed what he originally reported as fact, then he would've came out and said as much. but 100% silence? that to me says he thinks he got it wrong and he's praying for a miracle so he can still save face. he had his bluff called and now he's just hoping the river saves him without his having to risk any more cred.

he might still luck into getting this right, but he's not going to get credit from me just for throwing out a guess before anyone else did. even if diaz did "rip into the assistants and the media", that wouldnt stop stefan from simply saying, "i still stand by my original report".

Last edited:
Advertisement
at this point, there have been reports out saying it's not going to applewhite by what most would consider bigger media names. if stefan still believed what he originally reported as fact, then he would've came out and said as much. but 100% silence? that to me says he thinks he got it wrong and he's praying for a miracle so he can still save face. he had his bluff called and now he's just hoping the river saves him without his having to risk any more cred.

he might still luck into getting this right, but he's not going to get credit from me just for throwing out a guess before anyone else did. even if diaz did "rip into the assistants and the media", that wouldnt stop stefan was simply saying, "i still stand by my original report".

Bingo. You guys are overthinking this. There were no sources on his part other than footballscoop and the other media outlets. He simply jumped the gun in the effort to be the first to officially break it and now he's got egg on his face.

You guys just need to come to terms with the fact that Steven is not gonna be the guy with the scoop. He's gonna be the guy that makes guess based on info from other places. Some times he'll be right and sometimes he'll be wrong but his "sources" are made up.

The fact there is no official word yet leads me to believe its someone in tonight's game who asked to keep it quiet to prevent the distraction.
Except the fact Jeff Scott said he wasn't going to take an OC job elsewhere, so that is doubtful. I hope you are right though.

Lol at some of these recent posts. So emotional.

Do you Stefan, most of us appreciate what you do here and regardless the cats whining will still be here, probably still whining, no matter how this plays out.

Advertisement

he might still luck into getting this right, but he's not going to get credit from me just for throwing out a guess before anyone else did. even if diaz did "rip into the assistants and the media", that wouldnt stop stefan was simply saying, "i still stand by my original report".

so even if Stefan gets it right he will not get credit even though his "guess" was based on "multiple sources"? What did he do to ever **** you off?

I think the exact opposite. Silence = he was right but was told by someone to not comment further until UM makes the official announcement.

Advertisement
I'm riding with the "Someone contacted Stefan and told him to go radio silent on the OC hire until further notice or he would lose his source" theory. Don't blame him one bit. Not worth losing sources over something that will be announced soon anyway. I am still riding with the Applewhite is our OC.

so even if Stefan gets it right he will not get credit even though his "guess" was based on "multiple sources"? What did he do to ever **** you off?

i don't know that i could've laid it out any easier for you to understand but...

there's
1. knowing and getting it right
and then there's
2. guessing and getting it right.

that distinction matters.
so sure, i'll give stefan a little credit for guessing and getting it right. as much as i would every other poster on here that did the same. but if he knew, we wouldn't be getting this silence. especially now that were having guys like jackson came out and say that the report was false. if he knows, then "i stand by my original report" is all that's needed.

the 100% silence is his praying for a hail mary here. if he comes out and says i jumped the gun, there is no imminent hiring of applewhite, then his credibility takes a hit. but if the applewhite thing isn't happening, that credibility hit is coming either way.

now imagine he comes out and admits that he falsely reported the applewhite hiring was happening, and then by some last minute miracle, it happens. well now he took the credibility hit when he didnt have to.

silence gives him the one out to save his reporter cred. im not knocking him for it. its probably the safest strategy at this point. im just calling it out for what it is

I'm riding with the "Someone contacted Stefan and told him to go radio silent on the OC hire until further notice or he would lose his source" theory. Don't blame him one bit. Not worth losing sources over something that will be announced soon anyway. I am still riding with the Applewhite is our OC.
This is the only thing that makes sense. Stephan has taken Ls before, so no reason he wouldn't have responded already

Lol at some of these recent posts. So emotional.

Do you Stefan, most of us appreciate what you do here and regardless the cats whining will still be here, probably still whining, no matter how this plays out.

relax guy, its not that serious. if you have something better to discuss, then by all means post it.

Advertisement
i don't know that i could've laid it out any easier for you to understand but...

there's
and then there's

so sure, i'll give stefan a little credit for guessing and getting it right. as much as i would every other poster on here that did the same. but if he knew, we wouldn't be getting this silence. especially now that were having guys like jackson came out and say that the report was false. if he knows, then "i stand by my original report" is all that's needed.

the 100% silence is his praying for a hail mary here. if he comes out and says i jumped the gun, there is no imminent hiring of applewhite, then his credibility takes a hit. but if the applewhite thing isn't happening, that credibility hit is coming either way.

now imagine he comes out and admits that he falsely reported the applewhite hiring was happening, and then by some last minute miracle, it happens. well now he took the credibility hit when he didnt have to.

silence gives him the one out to save his reporter cred. im not knocking him for it. its probably the safest strategy at this point. im just calling it out for what it is
Or he was right and told to zip it. Then they send misleading info out to Barry, etc

This is the only thing that makes sense. Stephan has taken Ls before, so no reason he wouldn't have responded already

I don't know but the way the non-official hires have been handled are completely different. No strong push back on Baker. Complete denial with Applewhite.

alright, but how does "i stand by my original report" do any damage to a source?

Advertisement
Don't be so hard on him for getting it wrong - you local hot weather babe gets it wrong a couple times every week.

That’s a new theory. Go on. Expound.

I’ll expound if you don’t mind.
1. Diaz says new hire will bring excitement to the fanbase. Tells me he knows who his hire will be.
2. Several days since the above statement. Diaz says he expects an announcement by Thursday. He pinpoints a date, so he knows who his hire will be.
3. No announcement to date. Odd because of Diaz’ previous statements.
4. Jeff Scott rumored to be a possible choice. Scott redponds with this: “I don’t see myself leaving for another coordinator position,” Scott said. “Our plan is to stay together as long as we can until a head coaching opportunity comes up we can’t pass up. I know for myself that’s what my goal is.” Yet Scott doesn’t emphatically deny his interest in the Miami OC position. Scott hasn’t OC’d on his own merits. To obtain a decent HC’ing offer down the road, I think Scott needs to add “Solo OC and Play-Caller” to resume’. The opportunity to do this at Miami may be too much to resist. Success at Miami would all but guarantee his goal of a HC’ing position in the future.
5. Why would Scott accept the Miami OC job on practically the eve of the NC’ship game? He’d wait. Dabo would ask him to wait, so as not to DISTRACT. So the announcement would be tabled until Thursday giving Scott time to complete the big game tonight, work his contract details out, put his input in to assemble a staff, and lastly NOT DISTRACT from tonight’s game.

That’s the case for Jeff Scott. This delayed announcement by Manny Diaz is the only logical chouce. Why else would Diaz seem to be dragging his feet on making his OC choice? Diaz himself said he was humbled by all the interest. That’s the kind of statement that’s usually made after you have already selected your choice, to any open coaching position.

Reactions: DBC

there's
and then there's

maybe I am the one that needs to clarify...you are assuming he either got it wrong (which is why the silence) or if he got it right, it was only because he guessed right (not because he had actual sources). Only 2 options are presented. Both are negative towards Stefan. There can be another option (which also makes note why the silence) which has already been discussed, I think, ad nauseum. Seems your mind is made up and you have a bone to pick with the guy. Otherwise, why not include another plausible possibility? Whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back