Major Applewhite to be named new offensive coordinator at Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.
Irvins

While a report has stated that Major Applewhite will be the guy, from what I have gathered over the past couple of hours, there's still some things that need to happen if Applewhite is going to be the hire. I'm not saying that Applewhite will not be Diaz's offensive coordinator as things could move quickly, but two sources close to the situation said late Thursday night that nothing has been finalized and that Diaz is taking his time with the process

Advertisement
I know FSU is your rival but Briles was a great hire for them. Admit it.
your wrong for something that has 0 to do with actual football. Briles helped cover up rape at baylor he was a huge part of it. he shouldn't be allowed to coach in college at all him or his dad.

miam won't confirm it had a bunch of people trying and cant get confirmation. from what I can gather different info to different people but if Stefan sources are any that pete had its probably true pete usually was right. but u never know maybe he is choice was gonna be named but hit a snag in buyout language or something u never know.l

Are we talking the 2012-2016 version of Pete or the later years? Cuz buddy let me tell you, Petes accuracy and Rosiers completion percentage would be neck and neck towards this end there

I am just defending the hire until we see what he does here if he is even the hire, its hard to judge the guy. I can say he was good at Houston but people wont give hm any credit for any of the Houston offenses while he was there. look im good if its brian wright also I just think we need a spread guru and Applewhite when given right to run his scheme is a spread guy

I honestly don’t know what the **** eveyone is sooo upset about. We’d get a person with a proven offensive track record that can also coach QB who were part of some high octane offensives that didn’t have the talent we do in either candidate. Yo, cats forget we just had Jon Richt. We’re upgrading, majorly(no pun).

Are we talking the 2012-2016 version of Pete or the later years? Cuz buddy let me tell you, Petes accuracy and Rosiers completion percentage would be neck and neck towards this end there
earlier lol I stopped going to boards although I read his stuff after diaz was hired as dc cause I got ****ed cause I thought was good hire and most on here didn't lol

Advertisement
Compared to who, this is not fantasy island. Given Miami's past history, realistically it's looking pretty solid, perfect no, but headed in the right direction.
Idea was that if we went with an inexperienced HC like we did, we would go all out on an OC and the rest of the staff. Applewhite is decent but not great, hopefully we get Seider also to add recruiting. In terms of the fantasy island comment, you are correct, I was hoping for too much. We are now a middling program that hopes to compete for the Coastal every year and anything after is a bonus. Not what I had hoped for but it is reality

Last edited:
Idea was that if we went with an inexperienced HC like we did, we would go all out on an OC and the rest of the staff. Applewhite is decent but not great, hopefully we get Seider also to add recruiting. In terms of the fantasy island comment, you are correct, I was hoping for too much. We are now a middling program that hopes to compete for the Coastal every year and anything after is a bonus. Not what I had hoped for but it is reality

Yes there are better OC's, but i think Manny is trying to target a certain personality/philosophy style. Which means he's looking for a certain level of performance and if those coaches are not up to that level, they'll be let go.

This mindset is vastly different than prior coaching staffs, that refused to change. If Miami can start winning again, I think the talent level of staff/recruits will go up and then the playoffs aren't that far fetched.

sarcasm my friend.

I watched the 1st half of the peach bowl and here are my takeways

Solid gameplan by Applewhite
Houston likes to get lined up quickly, making the defense think quick on how to line up and identify keys
Lots of check with me to get the best play call
Moderate use of motion, mainly in the running game
Lots of quick passing (slants, bubble screens, a few drags), No real down field passing, likely playing to Greg Ward's strengths and to mitigate FSU pass rush
Lots of use of the H-back
A good amount of QB run (sweeps, read option)
Applewhite did a good job of setting up plays ... example: using the QB sweep and rollout then calling a couple reverses off that action

If I remember right, Ward was a runner not a passer so I think they were limited as far as down field

Advertisement
Yes there are better OC's, but i think Manny is trying to target a certain personality/philosophy style. Which means he's looking for a certain level of performance and if those coaches are not up to that level, they'll be let go.

This mindset is vastly different than prior coaching staffs, that refused to change. If Miami can start winning again, I think the talent level of staff/recruits will go up and then the playoffs aren't that far fetched.
Appreciate actual conversation instead of just a thumbs down. I agree that Manny is targeting a certain philosophy, that I would agree on Applewhite, but is the personality really a Miami fit? In terms of the comment that if they reach a certain level, they will be let go, well that is just opinion. Right now what I’m seeing is people are excited about the level of energy and that just doesn’t move me anymore. Manny is like a hybrid of Golden and Randy. He is a local like Randy and saying all the right things like Golden. People are eating it up and I’m just on the wait and see tip. Lastly, yes if we start winning, the recruits will come, we saw that with 18 class. We will find out real quick what we have with Manny, this is an extremely talented team going into 2019, we should easily win 10 next year and we start with a decent UF team that will set the tone for the year.

While you're talking **** if you all hired Sark I would give that hire a standing ovation.
No one on here would. Thats shows you dont know dyck. Sarkisian is a friggin idiot bum who has been begging for jobs and gets tossed out after evryone figured out he is a fvckin fraud. GTFOH!

Advertisement
Well Mark and Al were also two different kind of people and different from Manny. In addition to understanding football, “flawda” football and Miami Hurricanes culture, Manny has the “je ne sais quoi” of a politician and decision maker absent of emotion. We’re getting the best of both in Manny I surmise.

When you say politician are you inferring Manny is basing decision on who give him the biggest kickback? They only make decisions based on money or power, unless you are a Bush and it is a war decision, then it is emotion.

Let’s talk rational. Manny is a product of FSU. Mark, the coach, is a product of the same institution. Bowden prided himself on not losing asssistants to other school. His people were his people and the stayed and stayed regardless of how many last second field goals were missed. Mark clearly felt the same way, save Kool, who did jump ship. Hgihering people is hard and takes effort. I don’t know Manny at all, after all he is a nole and I avoid them. He might believe these dude are the finest available candidates and him being buddies with them is just an accident. Or maybe loyalty and getting along as a team is a control parameter in the hiring process. Wins and losses will tell the story.

Applewhite was ran off by Saban after one season too. You should go back and look at Bama's offense in Saban's first year. It was not good. No other OC has been ran off by Saban after one season but Applewhite.
that was 12 years ago. i am pretty sure he has developed since then

Advertisement
I know FSU is your rival but Briles was a great hire for them. Admit it.
Criminole stench.......
tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back