Major Applewhite to be named new offensive coordinator at Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Seems like it wasn't problems with his offense this year that was the issue with Houston.

In yards/play: 13th Houston 6.3
Points/game: 7th Houston 41.8

For reference,

Yards/play: 84th Miami (FL) 5.3
Points/game: 90th Miami (FL) 24.8

Defense: 121st Houston 39.1
Defense: 21st Miami (FL ) 21.1

Defense yards/play: 3rd Miami (FL) 4.3
Defense yards/play: 91st Houston 5.9

Advertisement
Advertisement
I can see how someone could say that but still it doesn't have a single thing to do with calling plays or recruiting the 2 things he needs to do here. Everyone makes a bone head decision here and there.

Absolutely true. But that is some bizzarro world chit there. Hiring Donuts doesn't have anything to do with driving, but I dont think the person that makes that decision should be allowed to operate a motor vehicle either.

Advertisement
Well, I guess it's good they missed the Apple...
Capturea11.PNG

But what worries me is the guy with the bow wearing a Fedora:
Capturea12.PNG

:img-0076c::reaction:
Up tempo, fast, explosive spread
Tom Herman influenced playbook, he literally sat him down and taught him how to run his system and then applewhite called plays for Houston while he was there and did well including beating #9 fsu and #3 Oklahoma

This system will fit very well in Miami....

Spread days are here

I'll never forget watching that Houston team and wishing we had that O. I'm happy with this hire. Flamed out as HC, but he was a darn good OC.

Advertisement
He made the mistake of hiring Onofrio to coach his defense.

Based on the endorsement of his departing DC:

To find the right fit, Applewhite leaned on the one person who knows the UH defense better than anybody. He bounced ideas and potential candidates off Todd Orlando, who held the position the previous two seasons before joining most of the staff at Texas with former UH coach Tom Herman. Orlando did not know D'Onofrio personally, although the two have crossed paths.

"You know your defense, you understand the scheme and more so understand the energy, attitude and relationship part of what we do as a staff," Applewhite said of conversations with Orlando. "I bounced around names. One guy Todd felt very, very comfortable with was Mark D'Onofrio."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...rio-won-t-upset-apple-cart-as-UH-10864172.php

Not fully excusing it. But, let's provide context if this is gonna be the new parrot squawk of CIS

Applewhite is a good choice although in my opinion he is a notch below Fedora, Canada and Yost. I still believe he will be fine here.

Considering we had Thomas Brown, Dugans with Rick calling the plays it’s a major upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back