Major Applewhite to be named new offensive coordinator at Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
So instead of our bull crap slow methodical predictable offense with a geriatric Richt running the ship

We get a young hungry aggressive coach who hires a former HC that has experience calling plays in 21st century who has been exposed to Saban and Herman????

I’d say we could not ask for a better upgrade! We know where we were heading w Richt....this is a MAJOR upgrade and gives me hope that UM can actually get back to being relevant

I know there were rumors of Fedora coming in as OC. But, to hire Applewhite makes me think Miami isn't paying big money. Fedora can go find work as an OC and he'll likely fetch between $1.5 to $2 million annually.

Do you guys do any research what so ever when you say **** like this? That’s top 5 money in the country. No one is dishing that out for anyone that’s not extremely elite. Fedora is not on that level

He ran Hermons offense yet he called the plays , last time I checked that’s good. That’s what a good playcaller does.

People around cfb think a lot of him so I can give zero ***** what you or a bunch of La red necks think. People in La don’t know what offense looks like anyways.
What's wrong with red necks?

Advertisement
All the "he only had 1 top 25 offense" posts are so **** lazy. As if context doesn't play a part. First, who the **** has a good offense at Rice? Seriously how many times since any of you have been alive has Rice had a good offense? You're going to hold his one year at Rice as a first time coordinator against him?

He got "fired" at Alabama. Saban hired Applewhite than got apprehensive with a guy so young calling plays who wanted to run an offense contrary to "SEC" football so he pretty much made him a co-coordinator with Joe Pendry and Saban had a hand in the offense as well. Applewhite didn't like his power being stripped so he went home to Texas. The offense was better under him than it was under the previous guy though. They improved by over 4 points per game and over 30 yards.

At Texas, he wasn't even the play caller his first year as an OC. Bryan Harsin was in 2011. Harsin left and then Applewhite got the playcalling duties in 2012. Texas went from 54th in total offense under Harsin to 40th under Applewhite. So a well respected coordinator like Harsin had his numbers improved upon by Applewhite. The next year the bottom fell out of the program. The starting QB was out for the year after the 4th game with multiple concussions. The offense dipped to 65th and everyone got fired. His two years as the playcaller at Houston were good.

Correction. Harsin left after the 2012 season. So Applewhite called plays the final year when things at the program collapsed.

He's called played for 5 seasons. He has one 1 top 25 offense. Another good offense at Houston. And he was at Rice for one year, Alabama for one year under odd circumstances and at Texas when everything was caving in on Mack Brown. So his two best years as a coordinator came when there was some stability at the top and he was given the keys. Imagine that.

I wouldn’t necessarily call is a “buddy hire” but ok let’s go with that. Even if that’s what it is, he’s still proven himself to be very capable given the facilities and athletes he’s has to work with this far. Now he steps into the big leagues. On one of the videos on the potential S&C coach, he said La Tech football had an operations budget of 12 grand, no bigger than some high schools and look what’s he’s done. So sure it “might” have been a buddy hire but it was also a good solid hire. Both can be true.

Question, how many stepping stones do you think he got to skip because of history with Manny? Lot of water between Miami that other school.

Applewhite is announcing at the UA All American game. Gave secret commitment to Diaz yesterday (who says he can't recruit?!) Just a shame that Stephen let the cat out of the bag early and ruined the kid's big moment.

Advertisement
Miami couldn't stop the offense LSU rolled out so get off your high horse. Yes, Major Applewhite is highly thought of but his accomplishments aren't noteworthy if you care to investigate.

Well they still were their same mediocre offense and team. Like I predicted they would after we were spanked.

Unlike y’all we don’t have our ****** Head Coach , guess who still does ? You guessed it.

Now have fun with your 8-9 win season and another yearly butt raping to your daddy Bama.

Last edited:
I know there were rumors of Fedora coming in as OC. But, to hire Applewhite makes me think Miami isn't paying big money. Fedora can go find work as an OC and he'll likely fetch between $1.5 to $2 million annually.

Ummm...excuse me, but you have a question pending that you haven't yet addressed. I realize you're new around here, but we have a rule...no posting unless all questions posed to you have been answered in full. Now, fascinated as we all are regarding your thoughts on Major Applewhite, you have a question waiting in post #473 above that requires your immediate attention. Please get to it. TIA

Advertisement
Question, how many stepping stones do you think he got to skip because of history with Manny? Lot of water between Miami that other school.

Well that’s life in general, “who you know vs what you know”. However, after that point the person you know has to be able to do the job to a certain credible standard to validate the hire.

Advertisement
Do you guys do any research what so ever when you say **** like this? That’s top 5 money in the country. No one is dishing that out for anyone that’s not extremely elite. Fedora is not on that level
Exactly, the guy will soon be 60 in a few years and he is riding out the NC deal. No one would think of paying him 1.5-2 as an OC. His best days are in his rear view mirror.

I know LA Tech isn't a major player but I doubt their operations budget is $12K. Ruston, LA isn't Miami but there are more millionaires per capita in Ruston than any place in Louisiana. It's a lot of oil and gas money in Ruston.

It was a quote directly taken from their S&C coach. It might not have been the entire football operations budget, it could have just been the S&C program but the point I was trying to make was they’ve been doing more with less and have had good results so imagine giving them more and see how much better they’d do. That was the point I was trying to convey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back