Major 2019 WR target Ladson talks Miami

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
South Dade 2019 four-star WR Frank Ladson is one of Miami’s top targets for the next recruiting cycle and he updated his status with Canesinsight this afternoon.
*****​

Since his high school season has been finished for over a month now and Ladson has had time to reflect on his year, the 6-4, 170 pound wide receiver spoke about what he will focus on in the offseason and certain areas where he felt improved.

“I’ll just be working on all of the little things like making things happen after the catch – I know I showed more of that this year. I wasn’t just running bombs, it was slants, hitches, screens and all of that,” Ladson said.

It also just so happens that Ladson tries to model his game after a product of the Mark Richt football factory.

“I watch everybody, but I keep a close eye on A.J. Green because of how he’s built similarly to me with his length,” he said. “I try to take a little something from everybody, though.”

This is something for Canes fans to get excited about. I asked Ladson who the toughest corner he faced all season was and he explained what makes his teammate D.J. Ivey so special.

“Hands down, it was D.J. Ivey, Jamal Anderson and Tyrique Stevenson everyday in practice – they all bring something different to the table. D.J. is by far the smartest corner I’ve ever gone against. He’s patient, he breaks on all routes, everything. That was the number one person I’ve gone against and I had to see him everyday in practice.”

After committing to Florida in the spring, Ladson decided to pull back from his UF pledge about three weeks ago.

“I wanted to make sure I gave every school the chance to recruit me so I can find the best program for me and do what’s best for me and my family,” Ladson said of his decision to decommit from the Gators.

While he was still committed to Florida, the Miami staff did not let up in their pursuit of him.

“It showed me that they knew who they wanted and they were going to go after who they wanted,” Ladson said. “I feel like they’re going back to the old U that we see on the 30 for 30s with keeping all of the talent home. They’re bringing everybody back to Miami.”

With two of his former teammates, Ivey and Joyner, signed with the Canes – how much do those two and fellow 2019 prospect Tyrique Stevenson discuss playing together at the next level?

“We talk about it a lot, especially Pat Joyner talks to me about coming to UM and how much he loves it and all that.” He added, “I had a feeling he was going to make the switch before he did. I always told him he was going there – it wasn't a surprise.”

Ladson says he plans on making trips to the instate schools along with Georgia, Clemson, Alabama and others in the spring and summer.

[HUDL]video/3/7760463/5821db6590f99412dc67a263[/HUDL]

Advertisement
Advertisement
This guy is one of the true big-timers in 2019. He'll get recruited by everyone.

I'm not saying he's on this level, but his ability to accelerate at that size will remind people of AJ Green.

This guy is one of the true big-timers in 2019. He'll get recruited by everyone.

I'm not saying he's on this level, but his ability to accelerate at that size will remind people of AJ Green.

he kind of plays just like him, looks effortless out there

Advertisement
Advertisement
Generally I only watch the names on here, but he’s the best WR prospect I’ve watched in two seasons. He’s right on level of that Am’Ron kid.

Won’t end program not to get him, but he’s better than Ahmonn or Pope (who are also excellent).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many receivers are we taking the next two years? Seems we've got about 20 committed atm.

Advertisement
Generally I only watch the names on here, but he’s the best WR prospect I’ve watched in two seasons. He’s right on level of that Am’Ron kid.

Won’t end program not to get him, but he’s better than Ahmonn or Pope (who are also excellent).

Totally different receiver from Mark Pope, so it's tough to compare... I still take Pope over Ladson.

Here is my ranking of the top 5 WR prospects from South Florida since 2013
1) Stacy Coley
2) Jerry Jeudy
3) Mark Pope
4) Calvin Ridley
5) Ahmmon Richards
6) Trevon Grimes

It's a shame Coley didn't continue developing from his Freshman year... will be interesting to see where Frank Ladson ends up on the list

Last edited:

Totally different receiver from Mark Pope, so it's tough to compare... I still take Pope over Ladson.

Here is my ranking of the top 5 WR prospects from South Florida since 2013
1) Stacy Coley
2) Jerry Jeudy
3) Mark Pope
4) Calvin Ridley
5) Ahmmon Richards
6) Trevon Grimes

It's a shame Coley didn't continue developing from his Freshman year... will be interesting to see where Frank Ladson ends up on the list

Lmao Ridley 4 ? Ridley is by far number 1.

Advertisement
Back