Maine at Miami, Game 1

Paging Mr. Roffers. Please pick up the green courtesy phone.
Seriously I am curious to see the statistical explanation of what just happened the last 2 nights. It was obviously bad watching it with the naked eye, but how bad are the analytics. Not a stats guy but am curious if the stats finally look as abysmal as the reality of the performances.

Advertisement
Just turned the Sunday game on in the second inning. Already down 1-0. Apparently Maine loaded the bases in the first and got two runners on in the second. If McKendry doesn't make it deep into the game I wonder what kind of arms we have left for the bullpen.

Bottom 5. Toral singles in a run. Quinones 3 run double. Canes lead 6-1. Keep Cabezas in the dugout today

Bottom 5. Toral singles in a run. Quinones 3 run double. Canes lead 6-1. Keep Cabezas in the dugout today

We found some bats! Nice. I'm going to choose to be optimistic, but it's hard not to notice that the bats didn't come alive until we got toward the end of Maine's pitching depth. I'll take it though. Get these young guys some confidence and rhythm.

Advertisement
The pitching staff would be in pretty solid shape if they were walking everybody. Can't keep averaging 6 walks a game.

Overall a disappointing series with a hopeful finish. Bargfeldt aside, Friday night's performance was abysmal and Saturday's wasn't dramatically better for the first 14 1/2 innings. The continued inability of Veliz to throw strikes and keep his pitch count down early in games is putting unnecessary strain on the bullpen. I think you keep Cabezas as the closer for now on a very short leash.
The bright spots of last night's game were the effective relief outings from Cook and Cloonan. Cook in particular seems to have settled in and started to more consistently throw strikes. Between Cook and Bartow's return, Federman could be freed up to move into the rotation for either Veliz or Mediavilla if they continue to struggle.
Today's game was probably our best since opening night. Zamora, Escala, Cloonan, and Quinones (small sample size on the last two) now all have batting averages of .200 or better. Toral and Jenkins seemed a bit more comfortable at the plate as well. Hopefully we can continue the momentum and get back to .500 against FIU on Wednesday. The next few weeks will be about treading water until we get McMahon, Amditis, and eventually Reyes back from injury.

Zamora, Escala, Cloonan, and Quinones (small sample size on the last two) now all have batting averages of .200 or better. Toral and Jenkins seemed a bit more comfortable at the plate as well.

Just read this, and contemplate where UM baseball is now.

Advertisement
Overall a disappointing series with a hopeful finish. Bargfeldt aside, Friday night's performance was abysmal and Saturday's wasn't dramatically better for the first 14 1/2 innings. The continued inability of Veliz to throw strikes and keep his pitch count down early in games is putting unnecessary strain on the bullpen. I think you keep Cabezas as the closer for now on a very short leash.
The bright spots of last night's game were the effective relief outings from Cook and Cloonan. Cook in particular seems to have settled in and started to more consistently throw strikes. Between Cook and Bartow's return, Federman could be freed up to move into the rotation for either Veliz or Mediavilla if they continue to struggle.
Today's game was probably our best since opening night. Zamora, Escala, Cloonan, and Quinones (small sample size on the last two) now all have batting averages of .200 or better. Toral and Jenkins seemed a bit more comfortable at the plate as well. Hopefully we can continue the momentum and get back to .500 against FIU on Wednesday. The next few weeks will be about treading water until we get McMahon, Amditis, and eventually Reyes back from injury.

the team looks to be hitting a good stride now. Before I was beyond frustrated when i thought Perez and Reyes were the only ones swinging the bats effectively. Zamora and Cloonan have stepped up. Burns is very solid. Now all we need is for some of the other guys to step up and hopefully the team can keep winning as we wait for reyes to come back. Also looking forward to when we get our stud freshman pitcher back.

How fitting is it that we pussed out of the doubleheader because we have no pitching, and here we are in the 14th inning.
Jagr, was it not even less than 2 years ago that we were preaching that this program was absolutely heading south for years but the "BUT WE MADE IT OMAHA" crowd was upset when we're calling for Morris' job. This has been years in the making and is absolutely sickening that Miami baseball has fallen this far. It shouldve been fairly obvious when we can barely beat Florida in one game out of 25 tries the past 8 years. In baseball!!! You should get lucky and win a few but nope thats how much suck we put onto the field. We'd have a better chance of being attacked by a shark out of miami beach than we do against teams like Florida in a series. Completely outclassed by the better programs and it's been that way for years. We are fortunate to have made it to Omaha a couple times the last few years with the ineptness of this program. And I'm afraid the administration does not care enough to demand change

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back