"Made an offer the family couldnt refuse"

Man, I'm been saying this for years. The best thing that could happen to level the playing field is to let these young men go pro right out of high school. The young men that want an instant pay day will get it legally. The ones that want to actually further their education will go to college, and up their value as a player. Before people jump in and say this would kill college football, ask yourselves, what is letting a handful of schools pay for their players, but others not doing to college football? These "schools", most of them, aren't doing a **** thing for these young men. Free education? Yeah, that's something most of these kids couldn't care less about. They are football players, period, and are being used by the schools as such.

Now, I say some safeguards can be put in place so the young men that go pro right away and flop have an education paid for them after their football days are over. Heck, I'd bet they'd get a better education when they aren't simply being passed through due to their football skills.

I don't think anyone would say that letting kids go pro right out of high school would kill college football. It wouldn't hurt college football even in the slightest. People are rabid about college football because of the university brands, not because of the players wearing the jerseys.

The NFL should absolutely allow players to go pro right out of high school, or set up a minor league. They never will though, because the NFL benefits tremendously from the free farm system they have with the NCAA system. In fact, the NFL could not survive without the NCAA system.

That's where people have got it all wrong. The universities and the NCAA aren't the ones taking advantage of these kids. The revenues earned by the universities are fully reinvested into the athletic programs. It's the NFL that is taking advantage of these kids. The NFL is getting a free ride.

Advertisement
There are very few kids in the grand scheme of things that garner real money at this stage. That isn't to say there isn't plenty of other enticements, but the idea that many of these players on the open market would be getting paid significant coin is off, IMO.

Trey Sanders is likely one of those that would garner big bucks, but its not like a you've got thousands of players out there taking significant handouts.

Bama and other SEC schools keep their circle of bag men small and surgical. They know the game and how to manipulate the money. It takes a major leak and some reckless behavior by someone to get busted (look at Ole Miss)...things that Alabama lack since everything is so insulated there and that the institution itself is so engrained in everything (society, culture, politics, economics, etc.)...

Lets not act like Miami is above the bag game. We've done it before and TWICE gotten busted and its shown how small time we really are in comparison to the elites. That has nothing to do with our ability to win, but we've tried the bag game...we're just small time and reckless.

Man, I'm been saying this for years. The best thing that could happen to level the playing field is to let these young men go pro right out of high school. The young men that want an instant pay day will get it legally. The ones that want to actually further their education will go to college, and up their value as a player. Before people jump in and say this would kill college football, ask yourselves, what is letting a handful of schools pay for their players, but others not doing to college football? These "schools", most of them, aren't doing a **** thing for these young men. Free education? Yeah, that's something most of these kids couldn't care less about. They are football players, period, and are being used by the schools as such.

Now, I say some safeguards can be put in place so the young men that go pro right away and flop have an education paid for them after their football days are over. Heck, I'd bet they'd get a better education when they aren't simply being passed through due to their football skills.
The problem is very few, if any, kids right out of high school are physically ready for the NFL. Even kids drafted out of HS for MLB and the NBA rarely get to the big leagues right away. How many times have we seen debates on this board about the need to for freshman coming to the U that need S & C.

That's true, but eventually they'll start throwing their money at the wrong kids, lose a few games, and all of a sudden Saban will "retire" and Bama will go back to being Ole Miss...
It'll be interesting to see what happens when Sabag finally retires - whenever the **** that might be! Not soon enough!

Advertisement
Listen, I hate the **** for our U... but real talk, NCAA is straight slavery. And before you mothers come wit you free ed... in a free market these dudes would be making 2 mill plus per year and then taking money is justified asf. This whole system sucks and we can never win. Love the Brownlee and Good pickups.
Fully understand this, but paying players doesn't stop the bag game. Give players 20-25k/yr and you will still have boosters willing to double it. It's a never ending cycle

Even though I'm for kids getting paid, I'm only for them getting paid if they get taught how to use their money. We all know what 90% of these kids will buy. As a result, I'm sure the suspension rate would be insane.

I don't think anyone would say that letting kids go pro right out of high school would kill college football. It wouldn't hurt college football even in the slightest. People are rabid about college football because of the university brands, not because of the players wearing the jerseys.

The NFL should absolutely allow players to go pro right out of high school, or set up a minor league. They never will though, because the NFL benefits tremendously from the free farm system they have with the NCAA system. In fact, the NFL could not survive without the NCAA system.

That's where people have got it all wrong. The universities and the NCAA aren't the ones taking advantage of these kids. The revenues earned by the universities are fully reinvested into the athletic programs. It's the NFL that is taking advantage of these kids. The NFL is getting a free ride.

And there you have it. Someone who really identifies the fundamental drivers of the system, and the freeloaders (in an economic sense) on the positive externalities of the business of college football.
Even saying that, there is no way on an open market that many of these kids would have the opportunity to capture large economic rents from their services. It's not like the MLB draft and farm team structure. It's a very different model.

And I for one think there should be ZERO "safeguards" for a kid who wishes to forgo a college opportunity out of high school. You want to make a grown up "business decision?" ... then live with the grown up business consequences. Period.

Last edited:
Advertisement
There are very few kids in the grand scheme of things that garner real money at this stage. That isn't to say there isn't plenty of other enticements, but the idea that many of these players on the open market would be getting paid significant coin is off, IMO.

Trey Sanders is likely one of those that would garner big bucks, but its not like a you've got thousands of players out there taking significant handouts.

Bama and other SEC schools keep their circle of bag men small and surgical. They know the game and how to manipulate the money. It takes a major leak and some reckless behavior by someone to get busted (look at Ole Miss)...things that Alabama lack since everything is so insulated there and that the institution itself is so engrained in everything (society, culture, politics, economics, etc.)...

Lets not act like Miami is above the bag game. We've done it before and TWICE gotten busted and its shown how small time we really are in comparison to the elites. That has nothing to do with our ability to win, but we've tried the bag game...we're just small time and reckless.

Miami got busted because of two hanger oners who were giving current players cash, not paying prospects to come to the school! But Miami is a private University not a state run institution and the NCAA wanted to appear tough.

Last edited:
Miami got busted because of two hanger oners who were giving current players cash, not paying prospects to come to the school! But Miami is a private University not a state run institution and the NCAA wanted to appear tough.

You didn't need to go further than that.

The who, what, where, when, why, and how is irrelevant.

We'd do it, too, if we could without getting caught.

****, we can't even adequately pull off finessing a car to these players. Places like Bama do it with so much ease, its second nature. The players post pictures on their social media with the ride immediately, but you ain't catching them. Let me reference the case of Grace, Jermaine for our school just not being able to hang with the big boys in this regard.

That's true, but eventually they'll start throwing their money at the wrong kids, lose a few games, and all of a sudden Saban will "retire" and Bama will go back to being Ole Miss...

the minute saban is gone ..big nbags come out for Dabo. Who is a bag game participant. Dabo would be a little step down though. Their offense will be humming though...

Advertisement
No they wouldn't be making $2m per year. These guys only have that kind of value because of the college brands. Put any of these kids into any kind of minor league, and they'd be lucky to make $50k a year. The money in college football is driven by the college brands. That's why people tune in.

I agree completely.

Advertisement
He'll be picking bags of green on that Saban plantation, but will look real silly when he's entering the NFL at 235 bulked up on deer antler spray and HGH. These backs ain't never gonna learn apparently.

Advertisement
Back