"Made an offer the family couldnt refuse"

Stuff like this is why I'm obsessed with wanting our team to look dominate. People hate me for complaining but our reality is this:
Alabama can offer a kid: His family jobs, a recruit HS HC a spot on the supporting staff, conference and playoff contention EVERY year, playing in the best conference with/against elite competition, packed stadiums every saturday of 100k fans, king of the town because the locals and majority of that area in the state breathe CFB like no other, immunity to crime, elite coaching, get you drafted into the first round even if your just average, all while getting paid 100K and given fancy cars to play for them. That's an overwhelming offer even if the kid has been a die hard Cane all his life.

Pressure in all direction (Family, Money, Coaches, Friends) that 98% of kids would take if given the choice especially when majority have grown up poor. Most 17 Y/O aren't going to give that up for a questionable team that seems to only produce a bunch of 4th-7th round picks, 50-70% packed stadium even if your good unless it a rival/rank game, etc.

Only way we compete with that is if we dominate the ACC and look good doing it while always in the ACC title game. Couple that with a place to be like Miami and we should at least get a big portion of the 4/5 star players in SFL even if these bag schools come calling.

Advertisement
Listen, I hate the **** for our U... but real talk, NCAA is straight slavery. And before you mothers come wit you free ed... in a free market these dudes would be making 2 mill plus per year and then taking money is justified asf. This whole system sucks and we can never win. Love the Brownlee and Good pickups.

You need to remember that a lot of these universities football programs pay for all of the other sports programs. I am in 100% agreement that there needs to be a better system than what we currently have but these kids are "amateurs" and outright paying them is not the way to go. If they went with your suggestion 1,000's of kids every year wouldn't have the opportunities that are available to them under the current system.

I will tell you though one of the things that is going to be interested is to see how in the future people like PS2 and Sanders who go from playing on these super teams through high school and college and barely ever lose a game how they handle it in the NFL where these "super teams" are few and far between.

Only way we compete with that is if we dominate the ACC and look good doing it while always in the ACC title game. Couple that with a place to be like Miami and we should at least get a big portion of the 4/5 star players in SFL even if these bag schools come calling.

Only way we can compete is to schedule $ec teams every year and spank that ***. MIAMI can’t pay you but we gon whip you if you sign with them.

MIAMI has to become the $ec killas!

Advertisement
Baga has this down to a science and has been reaping the benefits for over a decade now. That said, I think do think it's interesting/hilarious how much $$$ other schools are (allegedly) throwing at kids that DON'T have the on-field success to show for it. That's honestly another reason to steer clear of the bag game, since we don't have the inbred infrastructure of an Alabama - too much money involved to be wrong on kids. We need elite evaluators of talent on staff (and I do think we have a few.)

They
Listen, I hate the **** for our U... but real talk, NCAA is straight slavery. And before you mothers come wit you free ed... in a free market these dudes would be making 2 mill plus per year and then taking money is justified asf. This whole system sucks and we can never win. Love the Brownlee and Good pickups.
Most wouldn’t get the NFL minimum, so no, their market is not $2 million a year.

Advertisement
That is the word on Sanders by Bama

- Typical XL Baga Bag
- Bro on full scholarship right away
- Guaranteed Playing Time right away

Bama aint playing this year with the bags. Thing is too much bags can lead to sloppiness and mistakes.

Nah, they are pros at this game. Nothing will come of it.

UGA last year caused Bama to up their negotiation tactics.

Saban went to the boosters and said we need to double the recruiting budget.

2_gjeaa6.jpg

how many millions does the SEC and NCAA lose from busting and knocking Bama out of the national picture for 3-5years??? the reason they'll go after lower tier SEC programs is probably solely based on "the bottom line"...... to show that "hey we are going after cheaters....... just not our flagship money makers"

Man, I'm been saying this for years. The best thing that could happen to level the playing field is to let these young men go pro right out of high school. The young men that want an instant pay day will get it legally. The ones that want to actually further their education will go to college, and up their value as a player. Before people jump in and say this would kill college football, ask yourselves, what is letting a handful of schools pay for their players, but others not doing to college football? These "schools", most of them, aren't doing a **** thing for these young men. Free education? Yeah, that's something most of these kids couldn't care less about. They are football players, period, and are being used by the schools as such.

Now, I say some safeguards can be put in place so the young men that go pro right away and flop have an education paid for them after their football days are over. Heck, I'd bet they'd get a better education when they aren't simply being passed through due to their football skills.

Advertisement
how many millions does the SEC and NCAA lose from busting and knocking Bama out of the national picture for 3-5years??? the reason they'll go after lower tier SEC programs is probably solely based on "the bottom line"...... to show that "hey we are going after cheaters....... just not our flagship money makers"
Can't upset the apple cart. They have a working business model, and they will only change it when it becomes advantageous to do so. Until then, it's all smoke and mirrors.

They

Most wouldn’t get the NFL minimum, so no, their market is not $2 million a year.

With 99% of these kids never playing a down in the NFL. There is no doubt that there are a handful of the elite kids that are getting "incentivized" most however are not. Many of these kids are being given a chance for a quality education from an institution that they could neither afford nor get into if they were not elite athletes. They get 3 hots and a cot, access to tutoring, accommodations from their professors in most cases, etc. unlike the general population at these universities.

I wouldn't say it is "slavery", but it is clearly a demanding job to balance football and school. Let me give you an example. When we were at the Air Force Academy touring, the cadet walking us around was 4-year starter. During the season, he was down at the practice facilities every day from 1 pm to 7 pm and then back to the dorms for mandatory study hall with lights out officially at 11 pm. He'd study until midnight or maybe up by 4 am. Always up no later than 6:30 a.m. and in line to march to Mitchell Hall for breakfast at 6:45 am. The Academy football players take real classes and have real majors unlike some of the joke programs at this Division I schools. What these kids do at Alabama or Florida or other institutions really is their choice if they want to capitalize on the opportunity. These programs for the most part have only one agenda. To keep their players academically eligible. I will say this about Richt. I do believe he truly cares what his players and their academic welfare.

Advertisement
Just out of curiosity, in this free market you speak of, who is paying unknown players coming out of high school 2 million a year and where would they be playing?

Nah, they are pros at this game. Nothing will come of it.

That's true, but eventually they'll start throwing their money at the wrong kids, lose a few games, and all of a sudden Saban will "retire" and Bama will go back to being Ole Miss...

Saban gotta keep his eye on Lupoi. He already has an NCAA infraction and buddy can get real sloppy with it. He's risen through the Bama ranks pretty fast, but lil Nicky better keep him on tight leash at all times.

No they wouldn't be making $2m per year. These guys only have that kind of value because of the college brands. Put any of these kids into any kind of minor league, and they'd be lucky to make $50k a year. The money in college football is driven by the college brands. That's why people tune in.

Advertisement
Back