Mack playing chess

Good ol Chapel Hill...homeless folks, newly minted dykes with blue hair, and plenty of blow on frat row.

Advertisement
Nah, I was in Austin during the Mack years. He lucked out with Vince. He was a good recruiter but not a good evaluator. And was Erickson-esque in how he managed the players. He also wasn't the best at identifying good position coaches, though that looks to have improved. Overall, top quartile but not elite HC. Manny should be able to out-recruit, out-evaluate and out-coach him if he's as good as we hope he is.
So far Mack has Manny’s number in coaching.
Recruiting has yet to be seen. However, Mack started a new precedent of guys committing early and almost always had top 5 classes full of Texas recruits. Nobody he wanted was going to A&M, Baylor, and rarely even Oklahoma when he was on point. Of course a QB makes your team. Look at Ward, Vick, Young, Newton, Burrow and the long line of UM QBs in the 80s and 90s.

So far Mack has Manny’s number in coaching.
Recruiting has yet to be seen. However, Mack started a new precedent of guys committing early and almost always had top 5 classes full of Texas recruits. Nobody he wanted was going to A&M, Baylor, and rarely even Oklahoma when he was on point. Of course a QB makes your team. Look at Ward, Vick, Young, Newton, Burrow and the long line of UM QBs in the 80s and 90s.

I'm trying to be balanced in my view on Mack. No doubt the early commitments were a key innovation. But Mack doesn't deserve too many kudos for landing the best kids in Texas and even some guys in neighboring states. The loyalty to UT inside of Texas runs deeeeeeeeep, even more so when he was there. It's nothing like So Florida recruiting. Plus the boosters get whom they want to get.

I see him as good not great. And as others have said, if Miami gets back to being "The U", UNC becomes a decent warmup team prior to taking on Bama, Clemson and Taint.

Most overrated coach of our lifetimes
nvF6rEI.gif

tumblr_inline_p07a3pAUHA1se9puk_250.gifv

Advertisement
Texas was dumb for ever getting rid of him. He’s absolutely a legit thorn in our side whether you admit it or not. The dude can recruit as well as anyone. I give credit where it’s due. That being said, the talent in NC isn’t FL. And he’s not getting many guys Dabo wants. It’s basically Butch 2.0 in NC right now.
A down pillow could be a thorn in Manny's side.

You give Mack too much credit. Guy spent 15 years at one of the richest and most powerful programs in college sports. He headed a program that literally had it's pick of any athlete in the most football crazy state in the country. It took Him Vince Young and a miracle effort to win one national championship and 2 (two) [TWO] conference championships in all of those 15 years.

He's not the thorn in our side, we are.

Advertisement
Oh you mean dude bought a home along the single street of restaurant attractions in Chapel Hill??? Lmao...yawn

I think that the person might be referring to some little-known codicil in the NCAA Constitution that may be carving out some sort of "1-mile-radius exception" for hosting recruits on unofficials.

Quick, someone buy Manny a house in the Gables off of Miller Drive.

Mack: That's right, off W Franklin St. Okay, from campus turn left when you see the Papa John's. My house is directly behind that. No, if you pass the Jiffy Lube or Cannabliss Dispensary, you've gone too far. Hurry up Sally's making snickerdoodles!

I thought that Ron Zookie's wife made the best cookies!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Mack: That's right, off W Franklin St. Okay, from campus turn left when you see the Papa John's. My house is directly behind that. No, if you pass the Jiffy Lube or Cannabliss Dispensary, you've gone too far. Hurry up Sally's making snickerdoodles!
I don't see anything there. Two big smokestacks off in the distance. I'm close by.

Wait do you live in the red house with the detached garage, next to a church?

Advertisement
Back