Mack Brown & UNC

Advertisement
Hate to burst everyone's bubble, but UNC was recruiting well under Butch and Fedora, and have been a 'problem' in the Coastal for the last decade. NC is one of the more larger hotbeds of talent in America so you should always be able to sign Top 15-20 classes, especially when you only have to go heads up with the Duke's, Wake's and NC State's of the world for in-state kids (when UGA or Clemson don't want them).

Putting on a clinic? Let's chill with that. They've stocked up on in-state kids - which you should be doing in a state like NC - and Mack is getting the year two recruiting bump that even Richt got.

someone that aint new to recruiting

By the end of last year unc was easily a top 20 team. Some losses on defense and lines will be young but a lot of guys that dictated their finish last year will return (elite but young dl). Bateman is an elite dc and giving him more talent (last year didn’t have much) will make them improve that much faster.

if they keep their current class intact (add a couple more ol (Logan taylor) and dl ) and add another top 10-15 class next year, they’ll be a borderline top 10 program by that point. Drake maye is a very very good qb.
Top 10? That’s assuming that all these NC studs actually pan out a live up there star system HS rankings. Which is never ever the case. Case in point, Miami. Their 21 class is top heavy with NC players. Only of Them are ranked within in the top 100 which is the QB. Looking at their recruiting board I see 1 more big fish they are in for in the RB Shipley and his crystal balled for Clemson. They are set up for a top 10-20 finish which is solid but not elite imo...so top 10 program based a 30th ranked, 19th ranked, and top 10-20 ranked class in 3 consecutive classes imo is a huge stretch. BUT Howell seems to be the real deal and anytime you have star QB especially in the ACC you will have chance in any game

They won 7 games..pipe down.
I’m saying. Acting like unc won 9 or 10 last year. Their class is right now ranked 2 which is fools gold because when u look at the rest of their board (going off 247) they’ve pretty much hit on all the top NC prospects already so they are done on that front imo. The big too Payton and Shipley are trending out of state. Out of state prospects I don’t see them pulling big fish that way

No thats
Top 10? That’s assuming that all these NC studs actually pan out a live up there star system HS rankings. Which is never ever the case. Case in point, Miami. Their 21 class is top heavy with NC players. Only of Them are ranked within in the top 100 which is the QB. Looking at their recruiting board I see 1 more big fish they are in for in the RB Shipley and his crystal balled for Clemson. They are set up for a top 10-20 finish which is solid but not elite imo...so top 10 program based a 30th ranked, 19th ranked, and top 10-20 ranked class in 3 consecutive classes imo is a huge stretch. BUT Howell seems to be the real deal and anytime you have star QB especially in the ACC you will have chance in any game

No that’s not what I said. The three classes I was discussing was this past one (top 20), this current one (top ten finish), and another top 10-15 class next year. With three classes like that, their qbs, and their coaching staff, it’s very conceivable they could be a top ten program in 2 years (howell as a senior and at least criswell and maye in the queue).

and as for big fish they are very in it for a lot more good players like Tony Grimes, Logan Taylor, Zaire Patterson, Tyleik Williams, JJ Jones, Colby Smith, Dameon Wilson, Byron Nesbit, etc.

a guy doesn’t have to just be in the 247 top 100 to be an excellent or even program building player.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Georgia has 2, with one being their starting tailback for next year, but I see your point. I will say this, Smart isn’t nearly as big on NC as Richt was when he was there. I even coached a 5 star defensive tackle in NC that went to Georgia. Richt owned NC
You're right about Zamir White and the other kid. But the original post was made to seem like it was some current trend that Mac Brown was now beating the big boys out for NC kids. When it's not, congratulate Mac on his way early recruiting class. Let's see what it is when pens hit paper

No thats

No that’s not what I said. The three classes I was discussing was this past one (top 20), this current one (top ten finish), and another top 10-15 class next year. With three classes like that, their qbs, and their coaching staff, it’s very conceivable they could be a top ten program in 2 years (howell as a senior and at least criswell and maye in the queue).
I’m saying bro that’s not conceivable because Im absolutely 100% sure this class will not finish in the top this year. I understand that they are ranked 2 now but that’s because there has been a slow down on commitments with everything going on. They have 1 player ranked in the top 50..the rest are solid. There’s simply not enough meat left on the board for themselves unless your saying that they are going to branch out nationality and pull some more studs. I don’t for see that happening. Them becoming a top 10 program put them at a stage below elite. Which mean these top 20 class have to be filled with guys that don’t miss on and few 3star who turn into studs. I don’t foresee that being the case. Unless Sam Howell is a superstar which might happen. But I’m not sold on that

No doubt. He will at least recruit very well. Think Butch and his stint at UNC. People also sleep on Ga Tech. Once they clear all the option players out, and adopt the spread 100%, they will be an issue as well if we don't get our **** together NOW!
Lmao @ Ga Tech being an issue. I've heard that so many times "once we get such and such players out".... Listen, when you suck... You just suck.

At the end of the day I tip my hat off to them for finding relevance. You’ve gotta remember, Carolina only won 4 games the two seasons prior to Mack arriving! Of those 4, only one of them was to an FBS team (I think they beat Pitt both seasons).

So now all of a sudden you’ve got a man with a ring and credentials in your living room, saying that he took over a program that was that bad, won 7 games in his first season, was the only team other than the national champs to have Clemson on the ropes, and also selling playing time and a chance for your family to see you every Saturday....

Why are we shocked that they have momentum? It’s the 2nd year bump PLUS a bunch! It’s not like he’s down in Florida or Texas or Cali getting 5 stars. He’s doing what’s supposed to be done, but he’s doing it at an alarming rate. Kudos to him.

By the way, his other major selling point is that they win big this season, and they really believe it. Young def line full of freshmen (which is attractive to recruits to see freshmen play early), 2 1,000 yard rushers returning and 2 1,000 yard receivers, plus Howell who they will tell you is on Lawrence and Fields level.

It’s not bags man lol... they’ve got a good product to sale.

Advertisement
At the end of the day I tip my hat off to them for finding relevance. You’ve gotta remember, Carolina only won 4 games the two seasons prior to Mack arriving! Of those 4, only one of them was to an FBS team (I think they beat Pitt both seasons).

So now all of a sudden you’ve got a man with a ring and credentials in your living room, saying that he took over a program that was that bad, won 7 games in his first season, was the only team other than the national champs to have Clemson on the ropes, and also selling playing time and a chance for your family to see you every Saturday....

Why are we shocked that they have momentum? It’s the 2nd year bump PLUS a bunch! It’s not like he’s down in Florida or Texas or Cali getting 5 stars. He’s doing what’s supposed to be done, but he’s doing it at an alarming rate. Kudos to him.

By the way, his other major selling point is that they win big this season, and they really believe it. Young def line full of freshmen which is attractive to recruits to see freshmen play early, 2 1,000 yard rushers returning and 2 1,000 yard receivers, plus Howell who they will tell you is on Lawrence and Fields level.

It’s not bags man lol... they’ve got a good product to sale.

Untilllllll...they win 7 games again. SELL, SELL, SELL.

They won 7 with us being 1 of em ina game we literally should of won and they squeaked another 1 off head. They are trending up....But alot of it will be a recruiting job as they leave alot to be desired ont he field. They are collecting some young talent and should always have that in the trenchesa as the carolinas produces that for whatever reason.

Untilllllll...they win 7 games again. SELL, SELL, SELL.

They won 7 with us being 1 of em ina game we literally should of won and they squeaked another 1 off head. They are trending up....But alot of it will be a recruiting job as they leave alot to be desired ont he field. They are collecting some young talent and should always have that in the trenchesa as the carolinas produces that for whatever reason.
We all know the coastal isn’t the hardest place to find 7 games... I wouldn’t say they leave anything on the field to be desired, with a brand new coaching staff and a freshman Qb coming off back to back seasons of 2 wins! That group of kids had no clue how to win. As many close games as they won, they lost just as many!

So we’ll see but I don’t see the reason to even have a thread on this is my whole point! They’re doing what they should be doing, especially with Clemson recruiting more nationally and Georgia staying in state more.

UNC usually does this (maybe not THIS well, but Mack has some nostalgia and crootin chops others haven't had) with competent coaches. We just need to get our **** together.

Wait there was a slew of Canesinsight members who ridiculed Mack and Butch because of their age. Since some of you youngsters don't get it these men have much more wisdom then you. They also have tons of experience and a great work ethic. Just because you are old doesn't mean you can't do the job. I'm sure President Trump could run circles around most of us here and he is in his 70's.

Advertisement
Wait there was a slew of Canesinsight members who ridiculed Mack and Butch because of their age. Since some of you youngsters don't get it these men have much more wisdom then you. They also have tons of experience and a great work ethic. Just because you are old doesn't mean you can't do the job. I'm sure President Trump could run circles around most of us here and he is in his 70's.

I wouldn't have been upset with hiring Butch instead of Richt or Manny, that's for sure.

Should've hired him a decade+ ago instead of the lineup of bums we've had.

I’m saying bro that’s not conceivable because Im absolutely 100% sure this class will not finish in the top this year. I understand that they are ranked 2 now but that’s because there has been a slow down on commitments with everything going on. They have 1 player ranked in the top 50..the rest are solid. There’s simply not enough meat left on the board for themselves unless your saying that they are going to branch out nationality and pull some more studs. I don’t for see that happening. Them becoming a top 10 program put them at a stage below elite. Which mean these top 20 class have to be filled with guys that don’t miss on and few 3star who turn into studs. I don’t foresee that being the case. Unless Sam Howell is a superstar which might happen. But I’m not sold on that

As their class currently stands it is loaded with meat. What are you talking about? They have 11 4 star guys already who most top power five programs wanted. Jared Wilson, a current 3 star, everyone (Georgia, Alabama, everyone) wanted and might as well be a four star. They just beat out alabama for a stud linebacker in Dillworth. We don’t know what will happen until signing day, but as it is, they already have a very strong class and the way things are going are likely to get more excellent to very good players from the list I showed above (guys in Virginia, nc, and general southeast).

It makes no sense to say that their current class is only solid because of 1 top 50 guy. I’m not saying their class is very strong because I’m ignoring the effects of corona virus on recruiting. I’m saying it looking at the class as it currently is. unc basically has 12 4 star guys already (would already put them around 10 from last year if they finish with total crap in remainder of class) with likely more 4 stars and very good 3 stars on the way (see my above list).

As their class currently stands it is loaded with meat. What are you talking about? They have 11 4 star guys already who most top power five programs wanted. Jared Wilson, a current 3 star, everyone (Georgia, Alabama, everyone) wanted and might as well be a four star. They just beat out alabama for a stud linebacker in Dillworth. We don’t know what will happen until signing day, but as it is, they already have a very strong class and the way things are going are likely to get more excellent to very good players from the list I showed above (guys in Virginia, nc, and general southeast).

It makes no sense to say that their current class is only solid because of 1 top 50 guy. I’m not saying their class is very strong because I’m ignoring the effects of corona virus on recruiting. I’m saying it looking at the class as it currently is. unc basically has 12 4 star guys already (would already put them around 10 from last year if they finish with total crap in remainder of class) with likely more 4 stars and very good 3 stars on the way (see my above list).
Bruh annually 11 4 stars is not gonna get you in the top 10..we signed 10 4stars last cycle and finished 13..they are likely to sign a top 15 class which is solid but In no way are they on their way to a top 10 year based off what they have left to go after in state. If you think they are going to go into GA or anywhere nationally and pick up a couple 5star or 5 more high level 4 stars I’d say your wrong..based on history the magic formula for a top 10 class is 15 plus 4stars OR double digit 4star with at least 2-3 5star kids..they’re not gonna do that.. now if they hit on either Payne or Shipley and add 2-3 more 4stars that will get them in the top 10..but going off their 247 board I only see one 4star they seem to be in play for and both the kids I named are trending elsewhere

Advertisement
Hate to burst everyone's bubble, but UNC was recruiting well under Butch and Fedora, and have been a 'problem' in the Coastal for the last decade. NC is one of the more larger hotbeds of talent in America so you should always be able to sign Top 15-20 classes, especially when you only have to go heads up with the Duke's, Wake's and NC State's of the world for in-state kids (when UGA or Clemson don't want them).

Putting on a clinic? Let's chill with that. They've stocked up on in-state kids - which you should be doing in a state like NC - and Mack is getting the year two recruiting bump that even Richt got.
I don't remember Fedora recruiting for ****

Gonna have to see it to believe it with GT. People love UNC in their state. Barely anyone in Georgia gives a **** about Tech.
I agree about kids not talking about GT Tech. I think one of their major issues is the unis, im telling you they need to tweak the color of the uniforms, they are fcking ugly. Kids dont want to wear them ugly *** colors. Just my two cents.

You could have pointed out old boy from K state. Hes older then dirt it self and he came back and brought life back to that program. I think Butch still can do this, kind of shocked he hasn't gotten a legit job yet.

Advertisement
Back