Luke Chaney of 247 talks Canes hoops Portal targets and recruiting

View as article
...But also true that we WERE involved in several highly talented portal players, and couldn't get them here (except Cleveland). Could it be Coach L's system, outdatedness, the weather, the fans, the porsters? or N.I.L

I think money talks, and empty wallets walk. I hope i'm wrong and/or hope it's different this year. If Coach L is going to need a half dozen high-priced transfers as everyone is heading out, I can't imagine him happy about thin basketball wallets (if that develops, as I fear) ... and if anything leads to an unexpected early retirement, this may be the kicker.
Who said we didn't have NIL funds?

Advertisement
Who said we didn't have NIL funds?
perhaps mostly the results, and some financial tidbits. (people in the know that drop revealing hints) - Open your eyes and ears as well as your wallet.

(facts are we do have some fat wallet big pocket donors and university supporters, but football is a priority, and salaries and infrastructure (versus the longtime hated "play for pay"). (Not to mention you build a library you have a nice tax deduction; you give Cormani or Pack a cool mil, you deduct nil (see what i did there?) Except for a real flash in the pan Ruiz (and i am grateful) we are far and away shortfalling versus dozens of other basketball programs.)

Last edited:
perhaps mostly the results, and some financial tidbits. (people in the know that drop revealing hints) - Open your eyes and ears as well as your wallet.

(facts are we do have some fat wallet big pocket donors and university supporters, but football is a priority, and salaries and infrastructure (versus the longtime hated "play for pay"). (Not to mention you build a library you have a nice tax deduction; you give Cormani or Pack a cool mil, you deduct nil (see what i did there?) Except for a real flash in the pan Ruiz (and i am grateful) we are far and away shortfalling versus dozens of other basketball programs.)
We literally just signed a top 5 recruiting class

Advertisement
Last 4 high school recruiting classes:

2020:
Timberlake - couldn't play, gone after 1 year
Cross - didn't even make it 1 year because he didn't smile enough

2021:
Robinson - can't play
Poplar - fine role player who gets exposed when asked to do too much
Joseph - fine role player who gets exposed when asked to do too much

2022:
Watson - couldn't play, gone after 2 years
Casey - couldn't play, gone after 2 years
Aire - couldn't play, gone after 1 year
Jovanovich - couldn't play, gone after 1 year

2023:
Nwoko - looks like a slightly more fluid Aire imo (UPDATE: gone after 1 year)
George - pretty good, but likely gone after 1 year
Djobet - probably a decent role player

An entire collegiate cycle, and we got 3 decent role players, and 1 goodish player who'll probably only be here for 1 season. 12 players total, and at least 6 of them were objectively terrible. Seems bad to me idk

Obvious something in HS evaluation process needs to change. A lot of those guys were 4 stars and I believe Timberlake was a 5 star.

The only one who has played above his ranking was George and he was a late oversea addition.

Might be time for L to go full Norvell and recruit the Portal.

Obvious something in HS evaluation process needs to change. A lot of those guys were 4 stars and I believe Timberlake was a 5 star.

The only one who has played above his ranking was George and he was a late oversea addition.

Might be time for L to go full Norvell and recruit the Portal.
I think there are nuisances with each class, i.e, Timberlake and Cross being the COVID class and the '22 class coming on the heels of a 10 win season

I think there are nuisances with each class, i.e, Timberlake and Cross being the COVID class and the '22 class coming on the heels of a 10 win season
Also it’s not right to call Timberlake a miss. He averaged 9 and 5 in the seven games he played at Miami as a freshman. He suffered an injury and was medically mismanaged. He bounced around for a few years, but he averaged 15/9 this year on an admittedly bad Bryant team.

Cross was a good basketball player but not a good kid.

Casey is a good kid with talent but doesn’t work hard enough or listen well enough.

Watson has a confidence problem… I still think he has a chance to be a decent player.

Also it’s not right to call Timberlake a miss. He averaged 9 and 5 in the seven games he played at Miami as a freshman. He suffered an injury and was medically mismanaged. He bounced around for a few years, but he averaged 15/9 this year on an admittedly bad Bryant team.

Cross was a good basketball player but not a good kid.

Casey is a good kid with talent but doesn’t work hard enough or listen well enough.

Watson has a confidence problem… I still think he has a chance to be a decent player.
Fair on Timberlake and Cross. I just think that was a difficult year to recruit in.

Advertisement
I guess we are still waiting on Omier, Pack, Cleveland and George's verdict whether they are sticking around or leaving miami for the draft or otherwise. THoughts?

I guess we are still waiting on Omier, Pack, Cleveland and George's verdict whether they are sticking around or leaving miami for the draft or otherwise. THoughts?
My thoughts are you probably didn't have to ask the same question in multiple threads

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back