LSU new QB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They don’t really have an established safety

Do what? LSU returns all their safeties, including a future 1st rounder in Soph Grant Delpit and the best safety in the nation coming out of high school in 2017. Next to Delpit is a 5th year senior who has started for 2 years. Safety may be the deepest position on the team. There are as many 5-star players in LSU's safety room as on Miami's entire roster.

Advertisement
Do what? LSU returns all their safeties, including a future 1st rounder in Soph Grant Delpit and the best safety in the nation coming out of high school in 2017. Next to Delpit is a 5th year senior who has started for 2 years. Safety may be the deepest position on the team. There are as many 5-star players in LSU's safety room as on Miami's entire roster.
Do you have a safety better than Jaquan Johnson though? No, and Michael Jackson at cb is just as good as greedy Williams.

All 3 of Miami’s starting linebackers have been starting since they were true freshman and they are juniors now.

Miami’s defense led the country in sacks in 2018 and was 3rd in tfls. Some of that production is gone but we still have talent and multiple starters who have started in 2018 and or played a lot

Last edited:
Their defense will be better. Their biggest weakness is at corner. They have 1 good one. We will need a lot of throws to TE ans RB out of the backfield to be able to keep them off balance.

If their biggest weakness is at corner, why would we need to throw to the RBs and TEs? Why wouldn't we just throw to the WRs that are being covered by their biggest weakness?

It may take him a while to click but imo he immediately makes LSU's offense better. How much exactly? We'll see. You can say he was a backup and never started a game, but there are a ton of QBs like that across the country who are talented and could be starting other places. He was at Ohio State, a team with a stacked roster, not Youngstown.

I doubt he has trouble picking up that simplified offense down there. LSU may not have an established stud RB this year, but they have talented wideouts. If one of the young kids there was ready, they would have already separated themselves. They haven't. I think Burrow will the moment he steps in the huddle.

I agree he's probably better than what they have (which isn't saying much), and makes it more likely they beat us by some degree. I just don't think it's much of a degree. Their OL isn't particularly good, their OC isn't some respected offensive mind within the business and hasn't been the guy for years, and Coach O is Coach O. He absolutely sucks. Burrow moves the needle, he just doesn't move it enough to compensate for all the other issues.

Do you have a safety better than Jaquan Johnson though? No, and Michael Jackson at cb is just as good as greedy Williams.

All 3 of Miami’s starting linebackers have been starting since they were true freshman and they are juniors now.

Miami’s defense led the country in sacks in 2018 and was 3rd in tfls. Some of that production is going but we still have talent and multiple starters who have started in 2018 and or played a lot

Delpit is just a Sophomore. I'm pretty sure he was better than Johnson was as a Frosh. If Johnson was elite, he would be working out with his new NFL team, not coming back as a senior. Same goes for Jackson. As much as you may want him to be, he is not as good as Williams. Williams was elite as a Frosh, and will not be playing college ball as a Senior. Starting LSU DBs rarely play college ball as seniors. I guarantee you both Delpit and Williams are drafted higher than Johnson and Jackson and they'll have a year less experience to boot.

Miami is on the way back, and Richt is a good coach, but don't get carried away. Even after a few years of decline, the LSU roster is clearly better.

Advertisement
Delpit is just a Sophomore. I'm pretty sure he was better than Johnson was as a Frosh. If Johnson was elite, he would be working out with his new NFL team, not coming back as a senior. Same goes for Jackson. As much as you may want him to be, he is not as good as Williams. Williams was elite as a Frosh, and will not be playing college ball as a Senior. Starting LSU DBs rarely play college ball as seniors. I guarantee you both Delpit and Williams are drafted higher than Johnson and Jackson and they'll have a year less experience to boot.

Miami is on the way back, and Richt is a good coach, but don't get carried away. Even after a few years of decline, the LSU roster is clearly better.

lol. Wut? Johnson and Jackson are projected First Round picks. You're saying they are just pretty good?
And LSU is the same team they have been the last 5 years. Elite roster at some positions, but absolute HORRIBLE balance among the positions, and a head coach that no P5 team would trade coaches with.

Talk what you know

What I’m really concerned about is that the game is on a Sunday. It gives him an extra day to prepare and that frightens me. We can’t start 0-1

lol. Wut? Johnson and Jackson are projected First Round picks. You're saying they are just pretty good?

I'm saying these 2 LSU guys are elite and doing elite things as Freshmen. I don't really know much about the Miami guys, but elite DBs don't typically play college ball as seniors, which they both are. That tells me they were going to be lower round picks and decided to come back to improve their draft stock. I think both of the LSU guys will go in the first round and neither will play as seniors. The safety may be a better college player this year in his 4th year than Delpit is in his 2nd, but it won't be by much. As for the corner, Williams is better and it's not really that close.

Advertisement
Miami does not have a better secondary than LSU. If were being honest it’s not that close.

Miami does not have a better secondary than LSU. If were being honest it’s not that close.
They absolutely do this year . LSU lost Kevin tolliver and Dontae Jackson from last year. They don’t have any experience at the other corner like that either. They are lacking depth at corner and missing on surtain was critical for them period

Not only that but people forget that offeneses have improved leaps and bounds over the past 20 years. Everyone runs a no huddle spread now whereas in the past, teams would line up in the I or *gasp* wishbone and try to outmuscle opponents. Miami played 4 teams that averaged over 80 plays a game last season. NOBODY ran that many plays in the 80's and 90's. Completely shutting down an opponent rarely happens in college football these days. Even the best defenses ger torched on occasion now.

Really good point. Due to the evolution of offenses towards quicker tempos/more plays, defenses face teams that can run 50 - 100% more plays than 10-15-20 years ago.

It’s why you see the modern equivalent of the absolute best defenses, like some of the recent Alabama defenses, even in their NC years, get torched for 30+ points when they face a really good quick tempo offense, even as they win.

Advertisement
Lol. Nice cherry pick.

2018 stats:

Williams - 17 pass break ups, 6 ints

Jackson - 4 pass break ups 4 ints

50% more ints and 425% more PBU's as a Freshman. No comparison.
Williams had 10 pass deflections last year
38 tackles 1.5 tfls 6 ints

Jackson
43 tackles 3.0 tfls 1 sack 4 ints 4 pass deflection

-0 tds given up all season
-less than 275 yards given up all year
- 1 pass given up over 27 yards

Lol. Nice cherry pick.

2018 stats:

Williams - 17 pass break ups, 6 ints

Jackson - 4 pass break ups 4 ints

50% more ints and 425% more PBU's as a Freshman. No comparison.

Huh? It makes sense the more lock down corner would have less INTs and less breakups. He has less opportunities since he's a..."lock down" corner.

Advertisement
Williams had 10 pass deflections last year
38 tackles 1.5 tfls 6 ints

Jackson
43 tackles 3.0 tfls 1 sack 4 ints 4 pass deflection

-0 tds given up all season
-less than 275 yards given up all year
- 1 pass given up over 27 yards

Not sure where you're getting your stats from, but Williams is listed on the NCAA.org football stats page with 17 pbu.

Not sure where you're getting your stats from, but Williams is listed on the NCAA.org football stats page with 17 pbu.
I’ve seen from sports references and cfb stats that he had 10 and 11 deflections respectively(don’t know what the discrepancy is

Who knows. Either way, he's statistically better and projected higher in the draft. There's not really an objective measure you can use to say that Jackson is an equal or better corner.

The other corner spot is really the question. There are some highly recruited guys fighting for that spot. Who wins and how well they play next season (especially in the opener) is a big "?".

We’re talking about a guy who I’m assuming will have just about 3 months to pick up their offense, build chemistry with his wideouts, and then prepare for our defense. Now granted, they are LSU so we know the offense will be very bland but that’s still a tall task for any QB across America. We can set the tone very early and not look back. On the outside we need to be in their grill and show no respect to their passing game, he’s gotta prove it. Our number 1 priority should be not getting gashed by the run, gotta be disciplined in those gaps. This game can easily feel like the Notre Dame one, not the score but just how the game progresses with us forcing an offense to be very one dimensional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back