LSU new QB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Written by an SEC educated reporter.....
aha_coming_to_america.gif

Advertisement
He was second string last year until he got hurt. He was hand picked by Tom Herman, who has an eye for quarterbacks. He graduated in three years, so he’s no dummy! His dad is the defensive coordinator for Ohio University, so he’s been around fball his whole life.

He chose to go be coached by Ed O and Steve Ensimger. He's clearly not that bright

Where did I compare our current defense to our great defenses of the past? I didn’t

I was just pointing out how people mythologize the old ones to the point of not being realistic .

My mistake.

In our prime, our Defene’s usually dominated consistently. In fact, most championship Defense’s rarely get torched. It happens but they are rare. Miami has improved from the Golden **** show but still has ways to go to reach that elite status.

Advertisement
Lol easy W
Easy? Not even. As bad as they have been offensively the last 10 years nobody has ever dominated them in a game when they were healthy. Nobody including Bama.
Why? Because their defense is a top 5 defense most years.
This will be a 21-17 type game at best.

Heard he was straight at OSU.

A solid GWillis T-bag will make him giddy.
The other QBs 1 was an elite 11 and the other would have been even better had he not been injured his Jr and Sr years.
Our QB and offensive line better be ready because they are much deeper than they were in the trenches and many are projecting that line backer Devin White as a top 10 pick in next year’s draft.

Their defense will be better. Their biggest weakness is at corner. They have 1 good one. We will need a lot of throws to TE ans RB out of the backfield to be able to keep them off balance.

It may take him a while to click but imo he immediately makes LSU's offense better. How much exactly? We'll see. You can say he was a backup and never started a game, but there are a ton of QBs like that across the country who are talented and could be starting other places. He was at Ohio State, a team with a stacked roster, not Youngstown.

I doubt he has trouble picking up that simplified offense down there. LSU may not have an established stud RB this year, but they have talented wideouts. If one of the young kids there was ready, they would have already separated themselves. They haven't. I think Burrow will the moment he steps in the huddle.

They had a below average offense points-wise last year and lose their top two running backs and best receiver. Nobody they have returning at a skill position did anything last year. We have potentially one of the best defenses in the country and a plethora of proven weapons on offense
And they will have a top 5 defense. What’s your point?

Advertisement
He was second string last year until he got hurt. He was hand picked by Tom Herman, who has an eye for quarterbacks. He graduated in three years, so he’s no dummy! His dad is the defensive coordinator for Ohio University, so he’s been around fball his whole life.

Additional Burrow facts:
  • Burrow was the primary backup to J.T. Barrett in 2016, but a preseason injury caused him to lose the backup job to Dwayne Haskins in 2017.
  • Burrow and Haskins competed for the starting job during spring practice. Though Buckeyes coach Urban Meyer didn’t publicly announce a starter, Burrow announced his intention to transfer on May 8.
  • So he left BEFORE Meyers picked the starter. ......Remember players transfer for numerous reasons although not starting is the primary one
Yes I agree some here may be underestimating his skills.

But Still, learning a new offense, with different players and becoming proficient in it in a couple of months is hard to do....but it can be done. Only problem I see is that LSU's offense last year didn't seem to be complicated so I'd expect to see him.

Bottom-line IMO is that he probably will be an upgrade over what they had before IF he learns their offense and starts. I'll say this, LSU's fans are definitely excited to have him. Still think we win

Easy? Not even. As bad as they have been offensively the last 10 years nobody has ever dominated them in a game when they were healthy. Nobody including Bama.

I I think it’s going to be more of a 31-13 type game. LSU won’t be able to score against us and our offense is going to break out at some point during the game.

Advertisement
Where did I compare our current defense to our great defenses of the past? I didn’t

I was just pointing out how people mythologize the old ones to the point of not being realistic .
Not only that but people forget that offeneses have improved leaps and bounds over the past 20 years. Everyone runs a no huddle spread now whereas in the past, teams would line up in the I or *gasp* wishbone and try to outmuscle opponents. Miami played 4 teams that averaged over 80 plays a game last season. NOBODY ran that many plays in the 80's and 90's. Completely shutting down an opponent rarely happens in college football these days. Even the best defenses ger torched on occasion now.

That defense helped against that *** whipping vs Mississippi state right or what about Troy?

Advertisement
That defense helped against that *** whipping vs Mississippi state right or what about Troy?

The defense had some issues last season. Namely on the line. The Dline had a couple good players and a couple average players. The good ones were hurt for the MSU game and they ran roughshod over the average players. The average players graduated and this year LSU gains a transfer (who is supposed to be very good) that was ineligible last season and their best true NT recruit in years who was also ineligible last season. The NT is very good and athletic but enormous. He started at 380 (and could do back flips), was down in the 350s on his way to the 330s but had ankle surgery this spring, so who knows where his weight will be for the opener. Even without him, the LSU Dline will be significantly better in the opener than it was at it's best last season. The one thing we can count on Orgeron for (besides a good gumbo) is to bring the Dline back to elite. This appears to be the year that begins to take shape.

Outside of Devin White, who played at an All-American level as a soph, the LBs were all brand new. They all return and should be better as a unit.

The Safeties are back and they are solid. Only one corner is proven, and he is AA level, the rest are a mystery, as the oldest, most elite recruit is ineligible.

As for the QB, which this thread is about, LSU got better with the addition of Burrow. No one knows how much better. ****, he may not even win the job, but he's got good size, can run and from what I've seen, has a good-not-great arm and is accurate. Brennan and Narcisse probably have higher ceilings, but Brennan is rail-thin and Narcisse (who has a big arm and looks like an NFL-ready dual threat QB) hasn't played in 3 years. Burrow appears to be the perfect stop-gap and reminds me physically of Matt Flynn. Worst case scenario, he is a solid backup. Best case, he's what some people are saying, and LSU has a QB who is a threat for the first time since 2013.

Outside of the TT transfer, the receivers are physical freaks but unproven. Hopefully they pick up the mental side of the game. Giles (the transfer) is by far the most experienced and polished receiver on the team. He was 2nd team all Big 12 2 years ago and sat out last year as a transfer. There are a couple others to watch for (Jefferson and Marshall), but most of the rest are 6'3" - 6'7" and raw. If a couple of them can pick up the nuances of the position, I'd say the LSU WRs could be the breakout group of the 2018 CFB season.

There is one RB that I am really high on. I don't think he's at Guice or Fournette's level (who is?) but he's very good and no one outside of BR (except Dylan Moses) knows his name. I'll let you figure out who in September. The rest are meh or incoming Frosh.

The biggest ? on the team is the Oline. Last season some Frosh were pressed into duty and became pretty good as the season wore on. The season will hinge on finding a true LT and C. The current LT is a Soph and will be good, but is coming off an injury. They are trying to figure out the C position (this is obviously huge. Need someone who can play and also make the calls). They may have a good starting 5, but will be thin, especially at those 2 positions.

As for the Miami game, I thought it was a toss-up before the Burrow news. Now, I think LSU has the edge. Probably a close game. 24-17 LSU. If the LSU Oline isn't ready and Miami can exploit that (a real possibility) then Miami can easily win this game.

Our defenses are pretty even and we return a ton more than they do on offense
Yeah
Can see Miami have 4 top 60 picks in the draft next year on the defense alone

Michael Jackson
Joe jackson
Quarterman
Jaquan johnson(he’s been mocked in a round 1 a few times).
Our defenses are pretty even and we return a ton more than they do on offense
Miami starters at db are better imo. They don’t really have an established safety whereas Miami has Jaquan Johnson. Michael Jackson and greedy Williams are both equal imo

The defense had some issues last season. Namely on the line. The Dline had a couple good players and a couple average players. The good ones were hurt for the MSU game and they ran roughshod over the average players. The average players graduated and this year LSU gains a transfer (who is supposed to be very good) that was ineligible last season and their best true NT recruit in years who was also ineligible last season. The NT is very good and athletic but enormous. He started at 380 (and could do back flips), was down in the 350s on his way to the 330s but had ankle surgery this spring, so who knows where his weight will be for the opener. Even without him, the LSU Dline will be significantly better in the opener than it was at it's best last season. The one thing we can count on Orgeron for (besides a good gumbo) is to bring the Dline back to elite. This appears to be the year that begins to take shape.

Outside of Devin White, who played at an All-American level as a soph, the LBs were all brand new. They all return and should be better as a unit.

The Safeties are back and they are solid. Only one corner is proven, and he is AA level, the rest are a mystery, as the oldest, most elite recruit is ineligible.

As for the QB, which this thread is about, LSU got better with the addition of Burrow. No one knows how much better. ****, he may not even win the job, but he's got good size, can run and from what I've seen, has a good-not-great arm and is accurate. Brennan and Narcisse probably have higher ceilings, but Brennan is rail-thin and Narcisse (who has a big arm and looks like an NFL-ready dual threat QB) hasn't played in 3 years. Burrow appears to be the perfect stop-gap and reminds me physically of Matt Flynn. Worst case scenario, he is a solid backup. Best case, he's what some people are saying, and LSU has a QB who is a threat for the first time since 2013.

Outside of the TT transfer, the receivers are physical freaks but unproven. Hopefully they pick up the mental side of the game. Giles (the transfer) is by far the most experienced and polished receiver on the team. He was 2nd team all Big 12 2 years ago and sat out last year as a transfer. There are a couple others to watch for (Jefferson and Marshall), but most of the rest are 6'3" - 6'7" and raw. If a couple of them can pick up the nuances of the position, I'd say the LSU WRs could be the breakout group of the 2018 CFB season.

There is one RB that I am really high on. I don't think he's at Guice or Fournette's level (who is?) but he's very good and no one outside of BR (except Dylan Moses) knows his name. I'll let you figure out who in September. The rest are meh or incoming Frosh.

The biggest ? on the team is the Oline. Last season some Frosh were pressed into duty and became pretty good as the season wore on. The season will hinge on finding a true LT and C. The current LT is a Soph and will be good, but is coming off an injury. They are trying to figure out the C position (this is obviously huge. Need someone who can play and also make the calls). They may have a good starting 5, but will be thin, especially at those 2 positions.

As for the Miami game, I thought it was a toss-up before the Burrow news. Now, I think LSU has the edge. Probably a close game. 24-17 LSU. If the LSU Oline isn't ready and Miami can exploit that (a real possibility) then Miami can easily win this game.
Miami has just as much talent on defense as LSU does and your oline isn’t that good neither is the qb , te or running back situation . Y’all got talented receivers but Miami’s dbs in particular go against one of the best receiver groups everyday. In addition to that your defense feasted largely on the average qb play in the sec which always makes the defenses in that conference look better than what they really are.

Miami’s main problem will be the oline(does well on most downs but not 3rd down rushing wise).

And the qb situation, fans not sold on our qb
Malik rosier who had 3200 passing yards 480 rushing yards 26 passing tds 14 ints 5 rushing tds and I bet LSU would be willing bro break the back for that type of production. He’s not accurate enough for most Miami fans which is why we want someone else.

But make no mistake about it miami is loaded with NFL talent as is LSU so it should be exciting

Last edited:
Lsu last several years hasn't really put a scare into anyone but one they have always had a good defense,decent rb s and wrs.their qbs have been like ours take it for what it's worth it Lsu can get a decent qb they can be very dangerous .kind of like us find a decent qb wed be very very dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back