LSU Looking to hire Blake Baker *Update* BAKER TO LSU

Advertisement
Manny showed loyalty by not firing and helping him search out gigs. This is the last year of his deal. He was demoted and no contract going forward after this upcoming season. As I said over a month ago”people can be let go without firing them”.

When he didn’t find a gig manny just came out and said he was taking the play calling , that was the worst case scenario I spoke of for a month. Blake was done calling plays here.
Any chance of bringing in a DC if this happens?

Any chance of bringing in a DC if this happens?
no idea , they reached out to multiple dc’s earlier. If I were betting I’d say manny runs the show this year and goes from there. That’s just me guessing. I’ve been so busy I didn’t even know about Baker and LSU until receiving pm’s. I’m barely on here these days.

Advertisement
deandre jordan nba GIF

Manny showed loyalty by not firing and helping him search out gigs. This is the last year of his deal. He was demoted and no contract going forward after this upcoming season. As I said over a month ago”people can be let go without firing them”.

When he didn’t find a gig manny just came out and said he was taking the play calling , that was the worst case scenario I spoke of for a month. Blake was done calling plays here.

All while saving the U a cool $500k or more.

Advertisement
The point of the argument keeps changing. You're giving me examples of other D's that struggled (mind you against some of the best O's in the country)

I said firing Blake isn't going to fix Manny's trash scheme. We'll be running the same defence. It hasn't been working.

If Manny fired Enos and hired a guy who runs the same Offence as Enos did.. what would have changed?

I believe we need to hire a coordinator with his own scheme.

I don't think you understand the difference between scheme and playcalling. The scheme is a 4-2-5. This year Baker, for whatever reason, called a lot of zone coverage. It doesn't mean that going zone heavy is built into Diaz's scheme, that's only what Baker chose to employ in the scheme. My guess is that zone worked pretty well at La Tech because of the caliber of athletes they are going against on offense so that's what he's comfortable with. Diaz clearly prefers man coverage as he ran more when he was DC and the defense was better (near elite in 2018- if not elite), then this offseason he hired an elite DB coach who is known to excel in coaching man coverage. When Diaz took over playcalling in games, you saw a shift to man coverage and the defense suddenly looked much, much better. Diaz wasn't the playcalling DC in 2020, so the choice to go with zone nearly all season was Baker's. Now it's obvious that Diaz is going to back to man coverage, which in itself is going to be a massive improvement.

As for Enos vs another OC. If Manny fired Enos and hired a OC who ran a similar pro style offense as Enos, it could easily have been exponentially better. Enos scheme worked pretty well at Bama when Tagaviola was breaking NCAA records. Then he went to team that didn't' have Bama's OL, but kept calling plays like he had Bama's OL. Not helping out a struggling LT with a TE or not calling for PA passes with a 7 step drop isn't a schematic issue- the scheme has flexibility to accommodate all sorts of formations and difficulties. Those are individual coaching decisions. A different OC with the same scheme and a better feel for the game could have been far more successful.

LSU 247 this PM

*** Another name that’s been mentioned plenty for the other opening on staff at linebackers coach is Blake Baker, the former Louisiana Tech defensive coordinator and current Miami defensive coordinator. It would be a likely pay cut for Baker to take the LSU linebackers coach job, but with head coach Manny Diaz slated to take over defensive play calling in 2021 for the Hurricanes, Baker has his eye on potential opportunities elsewhere. We've confirmed through multiple sources that Baker and LSU have already been in talks this week about the opening. One source in South Florida indicated money is likely what it would come down to. And given he’s a Houston native who graduated from Tulane and spent five years coaching college ball in Louisiana, there’s little surprise that Baker would have interest in working at LSU.

LSU 247 this PM

*** Another name that’s been mentioned plenty for the other opening on staff at linebackers coach is Blake Baker, the former Louisiana Tech defensive coordinator and current Miami defensive coordinator. It would be a likely pay cut for Baker to take the LSU linebackers coach job, but with head coach Manny Diaz slated to take over defensive play calling in 2021 for the Hurricanes, Baker has his eye on potential opportunities elsewhere. We've confirmed through multiple sources that Baker and LSU have already been in talks this week about the opening. One source in South Florida indicated money is likely what it would come down to. And given he’s a Houston native who graduated from Tulane and spent five years coaching college ball in Louisiana, there’s little surprise that Baker would have interest in working at LSU.
Like I said lol.

Advertisement
LSU 247 this PM

soul train episode 13 GIF

LSU 247 this PM

WanUnfitAsianporcupine-max-1mb.gif

no idea , they reached out to multiple dc’s earlier. If I were betting I’d say manny runs the show this year and goes from there. That’s just me guessing. I’ve been so busy I didn’t even know about Baker and LSU until receiving pm’s. I’m barely on here these days.
lol right. maybe it regressed under BAKER but didnt regress under manny. not even the biggest manny hater can claim

Any chance of bringing in a DC?
Not sure.

Advertisement
This is why you don’t show loyalty in coaching. Manny did all he could be save face for baker and then he turns around and is gonna dip after manny made the announcement and press release that staff is done.

I’m not mad baker leaving I’m just wondering if LSU got a spot for Patke as well. Sucks all the more because Telly left. I just pray we fill the spot with someone that’s competent

How do we know thats what happened. I mean he did strip him of playcalling.... he essentially demoted him

Im guessing Baker was encouraged to find a gig and Manny would keep him on staff until that happened.

So a key question is whether Danny White and Heupel will keep a guy who 1) is Phil Fulmer's buddy 2) wanted the Tennessee HC job 3) has a reputation for trying to engineer coups against HC. I would lean towards no. So Steele would be available. Would Diaz want Steele? If I'm not mistaken, it would cost Miami virtually nothing as he would be getting the offset from Auburn (and possibly Tennessee?) That would be something though- if this was Diaz playing the long game to save money by not firing Baker and letting another team take him off our hands, then getting Steele on the cheap.

Advertisement
Back