Lowered Expectations

CaneInTheBrain

Thunderdome
- Ten years ago, 9 wins = fired at Miami. Today, 7 wins gets you a contract extension.

- Years ago, the fans expected national titles. Five years ago, the bar was to win the ACC. Today, the bar is set at winning the Coastal.

Years ago, we expected and demanded great things from our football program, and the admin listened.

Before they were at Miami:

Lou Saban - Head Coach, Buffalo Bills
Howard Schnellenberger - Head Coach, Baltimore Colts (prev. OC at Miami Dolphins, Super Bowl, undefeated season)
Jimmy Johnson - Head Coach, Oklahoma State (Big 12)
Dennis Erickson - Head Coach, Washington (PAC)
Butch Davis - Defensive Coordinator, Dallas Cowboys (Super Bowl Champ)

Since then? Lowered expectations.

Larry Coker - College assistant
Randy Shannon - College assistant
Al Golden - LOL

Low expectations are a DISEASE. Raise the bar again and don't put up with this "can't do" attitude from the admin. Give them an inch, any excuse to ignore football and be cheap, and they'll take a mile.

As a fan, I expect national championships, and I expect the University to spend whatever money it takes to hire a competent staff like they used to do. Don't tell me it can't be done or it isn't realistic. We've done it before.

loweredexpectations.jpg

Last edited:
Advertisement
Reason for this thread is all that BS talk about hiring Mario Cristobal or any college assistant to be our next head coach.

**** that weak nonsense.

Not to be "that guy" but OSU was in the Big Eight, and Erickson coached at Washington St, not Washington.

And not sure what point you're making with the other guys. Saban was out of a job, and Schnelly and Butch were coordinators.

Reason for this thread is all that BS talk about hiring Mario Cristobal or any college assistant to be our next head coach.

**** that weak nonsense.

Why are our standards for HS recruiting higher than for the coaching staph?

Advertisement
Not to be "that guy" but OSU was in the Big Eight, and Erickson coached at Washington St, not Washington.

And not sure what point you're making with the other guys. Saban was out of a job, and Schnelly and Butch were coordinators.

Yeah, think the OP kinda misses the mark. Not to mention, OP gives credit to Schnelly and Butch for being OC/DC on Super Bowl teams, but no credit to Coker or Shannon for being OC/DC on National Champion teams.

OP also doesn't seem to understand that all of our hires have been in the same mold--none of them were top-tier guys who we had to shell out big bucks for; they were all middle-tier guys who had some success (but no previous titles as HCs) and would coach at UM for a middle-tier salary to start.

Last edited:

When the first four words out of your mouth are an apology, I know what kind of person I'm dealing with.

OSU was in the best conference in college football, bar none. Would be similar to today's SEC. So hiring Jimmy at that time would be comparable to hiring a middle of the pack SEC coach away from a school like South Carolina or Texas A&M.

Saban was an ex-NFL coach, so was Schnelly. As an OC, Schnelly worked under Don Shula, and was responsible for the only NFL team in history to go undefeated and win the Super Bowl.

Butch was a super bowl winning DC for the Dallas Cowboys under Jimmy Johnson, also considered one of the greatest dynasties of all time.

When the first four words out of your mouth are an apology, I know what kind of person I'm dealing with.

OSU was in the best conference in college football, bar none. Would be similar to today's SEC. So hiring Jimmy at that time would be comparable to hiring a middle of the pack SEC coach away from a school like South Carolina or Texas A&M.

Saban was an ex-NFL coach, so was Schnelly. As an OC, Schnelly worked under Don Shula, and was responsible for the only NFL team in history to go undefeated and win the Super Bowl.

Butch was a super bowl winning DC for the Dallas Cowboys under Jimmy Johnson, also considered one of the greatest dynasties of all time.

facepalm.jpg

The Big Eight similar to today's SEC? Oklahoma, Nebraska, Oklahoma St, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa St, Kansas St?

This thread has been...educational.

Low expectations are insidious.

I'll tell you a story about Dennis Erickson. He came here from WSU, and his first year here he went 11-1 and won a NC. He felt like king of the world. He told the story about how after his second season when he lost 2 games he started hearing former players and boosters calling for him to be fired. He couldn't believe it, but he said that's when he knew just how rabid Miami fans were and how high the expectations were.

All the dipshyts on here are always bringing up the Champs to Chumps banner that fans flew for Davis. They act like the fans were unreasonable idiots then and that's what they are now for flying banners to fire Folden. Well, the fact is Davis wasn't meeting expectations as they stood back then. The fans were rightfully upset with him. He felt the heat, fired his long-time pal and DC Miller and got better.

Unfortunately, UM fans have been listening to excuses for so long that they buy in. They buy into the cloud. They buy into the fake **** about UM being poor and unable to hire good coaches. They buy all the **** that the failures have fed them. They're a beaten lot of losers, and there aren't many of the real hardcores left.

Thank God for the few hardcores who are left because they will keep putting the heat on until Folden is gone. You should be kissing the feet of those men from the WestEndzone, who spearhead the banners. These are the real UM men. These fruitcake fringe faygs you see on here and the sycophants who love Folden more than the program? They're nothing but Low T assh0les who watch games if it's convenient or if they're not with the wife picking apples or shopping for area rugs that weekend.

Advertisement

facepalm.jpg

The Big Eight similar to today's SEC? Oklahoma, Nebraska, Oklahoma St, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa St, Kansas St?

Yes. You must be young. Oklahoma and Nebraska used to be the best of the best. MULTIPLE national titles in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. Colorado won a national championship during that time period and played for another. The conference was easily on par with today's SEC West as the best of its era.

Last edited:

I'll tell you a story about Dennis Erickson. He came here from WSU, and his first year here he went 11-1 and won a NC. He felt like king of the world. He told the story about how after his second season when he lost 2 games he started hearing former players and boosters calling for him to be fired. He couldn't believe it, but he said that's when he knew just how rabid Miami fans were and how high the expectations were.

All the dipshyts on here are always bringing up the Champs to Chumps banner that fans flew for Davis. They act like the fans were unreasonable idiots then and that's what they are now for flying banners to fire Folden. Well, the fact is Davis wasn't meeting expectations as they stood back then. The fans were rightfully upset with him. He felt the heat, fired his long-time pal and DC Miller and got better.

Unfortunately, UM fans have been listening to excuses for so long that they buy in. They buy into the cloud. They buy into the fake **** about UM being poor and unable to hire good coaches. They buy all the **** that the failures have fed them. They're a beaten lot of losers, and there aren't many of the real hardcores left.

Thank God for the few hardcores who are left because they will keep putting the heat on until Folden is gone. You should be kissing the feet of those men from the WestEndzone, who spearhead the banners. These are the real UM men. These fruitcake fringe faygs you see on here and the sycophants who love Folden more than the program? They're nothing but Low T assh0les who watch games if it's convenient or if they're not with the wife picking apples or shopping for area rugs that weekend.

This is exactly the **** I'm talking about, right here. Well said. You're good in my book.

Chise - Spoke the TRUTH, all the TRUTH, and nothing but the TRUTH!

Advertisement
Yes. You must be young. Oklahoma and Nebraska used to be the best of the best. MULTIPLE national titles in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. Colorado won a national championship during that time period and played for another. The conference was easily on par with today's SEC West as the best of its era.

I must be young? You didn't even know the name of the ******* conference. Nebraska and Oklahoma were titans, but the rest of the league was ****. Colorado sucked in the '80s. They didn't get good until near the end of Bill McCartney's tenure.

I agree that we shouldn't settle for a bad coach, but you're not backing up your arguments with good points.

Between 1980 and 1989, the Big 8 won 1 national title.

Jimmy coached there during the 80s ... That's only time their national title pedigree would matter.

Colorado only mattered 1989-1991 ... And Jimmy was in Dallas by then.

Nebraska and Oklahoma were powers ... Everybody else was average.

facepalm.jpg

Yes. You must be young. Oklahoma and Nebraska used to be the best of the best. MULTIPLE national titles in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. Colorado won a national championship during that time period. The conference was easily on par with today's SEC West as the best of its era.

Colorado won one in the 90s...way after Johnson was coaching in the Big 8 at Okie State ('79-83). During those years, Colorado was crappy...like no more than 3 or 4 wins in a season crappy, with a couple of 1-10 seasons thrown in there.

So the league had 2 good teams, OU and NU. And OU was "down" for two of those years, finishing 7-4-1 in 1981 and 8-4 in 1982/

Advertisement

Its a difference between being in fantasyland and being a realist. We all know **** well that Gary Patterson, Chuck Pagano, Mark Richt, Bob Stoops, Butch and whoever else that idiot up there named, wont be here next year if Golden is fired. Yall can preach all this lowered expectation bull**** until you red in the face but thats not how it works in Miami. The BoT will always go after the "diamond in the rough" coach, so you just better pray they find the very ******* best one. I personally dont want any of them old heads coaching here anyway. I'd rather some young cat (Fuentes) come in here and win some rings, put Miami back on top, make a name for himself, and possibly be that lifer that we never had.

Between 1980 and 1989, the Big 8 won 1 national title.

Jimmy coached there during the 80s ... That's only time their national title pedigree would matter.

Colorado only mattered 1989-1991 ... And Jimmy was in Dallas by then.

Nebraska and Oklahoma were powers ... Everybody else was average.

LMAO ok man, JUSTIN FUENTE FOR HEAD COACH! MARIO CRISTOBAL!!! WIN THE COASTAL BABY, YEAH!!!

Its a difference between being in fantasyland and being a realist. We all know **** well that Gary Patterson, Chuck Pagano, Mark Richt, Bob Stoops, Butch and whoever else that idiot up there named, wont be here next year if Golden is fired. Yall can preach all this lowered expectation bull**** until you red in the face but thats not how it works in Miami. The BoT will always go after the "diamond in the rough" coach, so you just better pray they find the very ****ing best one. I personally dont want any of them old heads coaching here anyway. I'd rather some young cat (Fuentes) come in here and win some rings, put Miami back on top, make a name for himself, and possibly be that lifer that we never had.

You're absolutely right man! Justin Fuente... woo hoo! If we keep trying really hard, maybe he'll lead us to a coastal division championship guys!

Hey, do you think we'll beat FAU next weekend? Boy howdy, that sure will be one tough matchup, right?

Right on, "bro."

Smh. What the **** happened to these kids that go to Miami?

Last edited:
There is not a sole who posts here who will decide who coaches the Miami Hurricanes next year or any year...

Advertisement
Back