Love for football

I’ve loved the game for as long as I can remember. Several of my buddies and I used to play tackle football in my Mom’s and my next door neighbors front yard. My Mom got tired of us tearing up the yard and told us we needed to go join an optimist team to play.

We heard that Pembroke Pines was forming an optimist football team and we thought if we go play there, we’d probably get a lot of playing time right away. We were right!

My father was the Orange Bowl Stadium Manager from 1960 to 1979. Before our first practice even began at PPO, my Mom thought it would be a cool idea if I could go watch a Hurricanes practice. My father called Coach Tate and he said it would be OK but we had to stay in the stands so we didn’t get killed! LOL. We sat on the rail at the 50 yard line the entire practice.

That was 1967 and I’ve been Cane ever since.

Advertisement
My father was the Orange Bowl Stadium Manager from 1960 to 1979. Before our first practice even began at PPO, my Mom thought it would be a cool idea if I could go watch a Hurricanes practice. My father called Coach Tate and he said it would be OK but we had to stay in the stands so we didn’t get killed! LOL. We sat on the rail at the 50 yard line the entire practice.

That was 1967 and I’ve been Cane ever since.

Wouldn't trade being born and raised in North Florida for anything in the world, but having the opportunity to be so close to my favorite team in all of sports would be just about the coolest thing of all

Advertisement
One of my greatest moments as a Phins fan was watching Marino eat up that Bears team. One of the loudest games ever played at the OB.
To this day for me as a 10 year old boy going to the game with my Dad, my Godfather and Uncle and my cousins as we all had season tickets, that night still gives me goosebumps. Seeing my Dad, Uncle and Godfather scream in excitement like little girls when they saw the ‘72 team go out there, as they stood behind the team to let them know “There is no F-ing way you lose this game”, Marino just being Marino and the only guy in the NFL who could carve up that insane D of the Monsters Of The Midway. What a glorious special night that I can take to the grave with me. Was always anxious before the game, that night I just knew we had this.
Its when Monday Night Football really meant something.

As for me I was born loving the game, from watching games with my dad on his lap as a baby, as the story goes my dad would be screaming like a nut, my mom would first tell him to shhh then she would see I am just chilling and then sleeping lol, to having season tickets and going to the old girl with my dad and my Godfather and cousin on Sundays, not on Saturdays though Padrino God bless him sadly was a a graduate of the gayturds, he was one of the finest men ever but hey nobody’s perfect. So Saturdays was me and my old man with every crazy *** fool.

So I can’t pinpoint what day or game my love was cemented for the game, I was born into it, bred into it. I can pinpoint that if it wasn’t for my dad it probably would have come later in my life.

To take from a scene with Charles Winchester the III in a great scene where he is with Hawkeye who is waiting in news on his dad’s surgery in MASH “Where some had a father, I have a dad”

33-7 over Penn State in front of 100k+ and with Adam Talifiero coming back from a spinal injury to lead Penn State out of the tunnel. I have never seen so much momentum for one team pre game shut down so quickly. I grew up a Michigan fan but that was the game I really became a Canes fan.
Absolutely, 100% truth. That was quite possibly the most fired up I have ever seen any crowd pre-game. Then BOOM!! Deflated.

1958 and the Canes lost to the Turds 16-13 I think…Not sure what was the reason but I just know ever since that day I’ve hated the gayturds and been a Cane fan.._Also growing up I knew a lot of Cane players …the Mira’s,Bill Trout,Speedy Neal,Danny Mariscal to name a few and I lived across the street from Coach Allen and knew his daughter pretty well….

Never was a question of who my favorite team was going to be….Was a Cane fan at 6 and still one 64 years later at 70 and will be until the good Lord decides it’s my time to go ..

Advertisement
the day I became an official Miami Hurricane die-hard was the 87 FSU comeback at Doak

Walsh and Irvin with late heroics, Bubba McDowell with the late 2 pt PBU, Jimmy's speech to his team afterwords

Also, Alonzo Highsmith on the sideline as an alum(NFL was on strike at that point) and he was really into the game. Walsh comes off the field after a TD and Highsmith says to him, "Hey, that's a way to lead this team." The way he said it, you could tell he commanded respect and it was like an uncle saying to him, not just a guy who was a few years older.

I was already a huge football before then, but the life-long marriage to Miami was formally consummated on that afternoon

Nebraska vs US in 1983.

I had to crawl down from the top of the stairs on my stomach until the wall stopped and my parents watching the game couldn't see I was still awake. I didn't see the end until years later, but I listened and it was magic as the parents and a few family members lost their ****.

I missed some time after that, but I was hooked. Still a kid, but the Canes were my team with the Dolphins.

Advertisement
Nebraska vs US in 1983.

I had to crawl down from the top of the stairs on my stomach until the wall stopped and my parents watching the game couldn't see I was still awake. I didn't see the end until years later, but I listened and it was magic as the parents and a few family members lost their ****.

I missed some time after that, but I was hooked. Still a kid, but the Canes were my team with the Dolphins.
I moved out of SOFL in Nov of ‘83 so I missed a few games. I had to watch the NC game by myself because my ex-in-laws were a bunch of puzzies and didn’t know **** about football. They couldn’t understand why I was so excited after we won.

Being in the OB for the first NC, and being an alum of UM. Oh, boy….. what a night. I flew down the day of the game from Philly. My brother-in-law had gotten us tickets (Nosebleed- I’m talkin’ last row in the corner of the WEZ.), but I still have that ticket stub. By the time I had gotten off the plane, the teams in front of us had all stumbled, the stars had aligned. The Calhoun tip, I was in ecstasy but thought I was going to die because the stands were moving up and down. A couple of personal notes, I ordered a beer from one of the beer guys walking up and down the aisles and it turns out he’s a childhood friend I knew from the Jersey shore, I hadn’t seen in hears. He was running a dive shop in the islands and moonlighting for the game. Go figure. When I got back to my sister and brother-in-laws place in Davie in the wee hours I just had to call my best friend, big Husker fan, who was at Nebraska for his Ph.D. In industrial psych. Didn’t say a word, i just laughed and hung up the phone, feeling like the character in the Tom Wait‘s song, “Frank’s Wild Years”. Football, yeah…

Advertisement
Back