Love for football

oso4lyf

Redshirt Freshman
So, I'm watching old highlights of my two teams,

The Miami Hurricanes and Chicago Bears.

Two storied teams with just a phenomenal amount of history between the two. I came to realize that singular day I really became a ' football' addict.

It wasn't the Bears.

It was the Miami phooking Hurricanea.

It was 1989 vs San Diego State at the Orange Bowl that I really became an animal to the game. I was kid from Puerto Rico that didn't know any better that was picked up by a Miami Dade school bus from Robert King High and had free tickets.

That game defined my love for football.

What was your day?

Advertisement

Two storied teams with just a phenomenal amount of history between the two. I came to realize that singular day I really became a ' football' addict.

It wasn't the Bears.

It was 1989 vs San Diego State at the Orange Bowl that I really became an animal to the game. I was kid from Puerto Rico that didn't know any better that was picked up by a Miami Dade school bus from Robert King High and had free tickets.

What was your day?
The day (and weeks following) that we lost the NC to Ohio St. Thats when I realized how much I actually cared about this ****.

Noticing a lot of Bears fans r Canes fans. Double kick to the nuts these past 2 decades. Lol

My love for football came from The Bears. Literally have baby pictures w/ a navy blue Bears football in my crib w/ a baby Bears beanie. Lol. SB shuffle was my theme song from pre-school to 1st grade every day to school.

But my love for Miami was 11/28/87, my love for college football & a hate for rivals was on 10/15/1988. One of the many thing I’ll give my dad credit for, he taught me sports at a very young age, & let me make my own decisions on teams.

Santana housing the punt against BC and ripping his helmet off for the canes, or Randy Moss juggling catches against the Bucs back in 98 at his first game (was also my first game I'd been to as a kid)

Advertisement
I thought I was the only Bears/Canes combo fan. The Miami Hurricanes just hit me different for some reason. I don’t know why. I think it was the first sports team I fell in love with all on my own. Zero influences from anyone else. Just a young kid staying up too late to watch Jimmy Johnson get carried off the field.

Noticing a lot of Bears fans r Canes fans. Double kick to the nuts these past 2 decades. Lol

My love for football came from The Bears. Literally have baby pictures w/ a navy blue Bears football in my crib w/ a baby Bears beanie. Lol. SB shuffle was my theme song from pre-school to 1st grade every day to school.

But my love for Miami was 11/28/87, my love for college football & a hate for rivals was on 10/15/1988. One of the many thing I’ll give my dad credit for, he taught me sports at a very young age, & let me make my own decisions on teams.
Long suffering bears fan my brother. I was a cane before 88 but went to Pluto after 3rd and 43

Advertisement
Always loved football. I honestly can’t remember a time when I didn’t. My mom loved (still loves it, btw) the game and basically made both of us (brother and I) play. Her reasoning was that we were raised by a single mother in the hood, and she was trying to raise men. She wanted us to be tough. “Nobody gives a **** what your name is, where you from, what color your skin is, who your daddy is, or how much money you have, on a football field. It’s about going out on that field and kicking somebody’s ***… whether it’s team wise or an individual battle. Somebody is trying to kick somebody else’s ***! Every single play.” is what she would tell us. She was a big fan of Tom Landry and Don Shula. The Canes became a big part of my world the day I saw Michael Irvin race down the field, out the back of the end zone, with his hands stretched to the sky…only to be “mugged” by the Orange Bowl faithful. 🤣. But I didn’t realize how much I REALLY loved the U, and how much it really fucced wit my soul… till that 47-0 *** kicking we got handed to us by fsu. When they knocked or QB into the **** goalposts (I seriously thought he was gonna die on the field). I thought his back was broken at the least. After that game, I felt like **** for about 3 weeks.

Last edited:
The day Walter Payton broke Jim Browns rushing record. I always loved sports and every one held equal weight in my heart. Growing up in Chicago, on that day I took ownership of history. His and the city’s accomplishments became mine. I was so proud to be from Chicago, a Bears fan and most of all a fan of Walter Payton. Him as a person made it impossible to not see the good in sports and people. Great post OP
Another Bears and Canes fan 😳 **** we’re representing

I remember as a 9 year old watching us win the natty against Nebraska, and then us lose against OSU and my dad being a maniac for a couple weeks.

But I became a true cane fan when Phillip Dorsett caught the game winner from Stephen Morris against NCSU. I screamed like a bat.

And of course, I always screamed "Duke Johnson!" when I would juke a bytch in intramural flag football at FSU. They didn't call me "white boy hips" for nothing.

Always loved football. I honestly can’t remember a time when I didn’t. My mom loved (still loves it, btw) the game and basically made both of us (brother and I) play. Her reasoning was that we were raised by a single mother in the hood, and she was trying to raise men. “Nobody gives a **** what your name is, where you from, what color your skin is, who your daddy is, or how much money you have, on a football field. It’s about going out on that field and kicking somebody’s ***… whether it’s team wise or an individual battle. Somebody is trying to kick somebody else’s ***! Every single play.” is what she would tell us. She was a big fan of Tom Landry and Don Shula. The Canes became a big part of my world the day I saw Michael Irvin race down the field, out to the back of the end zone only to be “mugged” by the Orange Bowl faithful. 🤣. I didn’t realize how much I REALLY loved the U, till that 47-0 *** kicking we got handed to us by fsu. When they knocked or QB into the **** goalposts (I seriously thought he was gonna die on the field). I felt like **** for about 3 weeks.

Lol bro, such range of emotions! That's awesome stuff.

Advertisement

It wasn't the Bears.

What was your day?
I was at that game as well.

One of my greatest moments as a Phins fan was watching Marino eat up that Bears team. One of the loudest games ever played at the OB.

Advertisement
33-7 over Penn State in front of 100k+ and with Adam Talifiero coming back from a spinal injury to lead Penn State out of the tunnel. I have never seen so much momentum for one team pre game shut down so quickly. I grew up a Michigan fan but that was the game I really became a Canes fan.

What was your day?

Must've been when the doctor spanked me and handed me to my mom ... can't remember not being obsessed with football.

First-ever game was FSU/UF at Doak in 1972. Noles were undefeated but got their asses kicked and my older brothers ended up scrapping with each other in the stands. :roll-canes2:

Hated both those teams from that day forward

Saw my first UM game two years later in Tampa. My brothers spent the whole game rooting for the University of Tampa, which they'd probably never even heard of until we got to the stadium. Miami held on for the W when UT missed a late field goal.

Been C-A-N-E-S for me ever since

Advertisement
Back