Lotta People Laughing ...

Fact is that when you get failure with 4 different coaches at a premiere brand like the University of Miami then the problem isn't the coaches but instead the program/administration.

Miami is a "premier brand" because of past accomplishments. Honestly, would be curious to know what the brand value would be had Billy Corben not put together "The U" and "The U Part 2" for ESPN's 30 For 30 series—the first dropping in 2009 when the program was already dead.

Fact is, Miami is a private school that was able to compete when on the cutting edge of the game in the 1980s—dominating while everyone else was playing catch up.

This was never a desirable job; not for head coaches, administrators or athletic directors. It's a place where up-and-coming coaches made their names, but never stuck around—Howard to the USFL, Jimmy to Dallas and Dennis to Seattle. Butch showed up to rebuild, but left for Cleveland—while the next three guys all got fired.

AD-wise, you had Jankovich back in the day and then Dee—an attorney who helped navigate Miami through some rough NCAA seas. Outside of that, the two previous clowns prior to James were ladder climbers and guys who used Miami to get better gigs; Hocutt to Texas Tech (which he parlayed into a Playoffs job) and Eichorst, who would up at Nebraska.

Miami is going to forever struggle to compete from this point forward now that college football has so much money and parity. Good Lord, just in-state you have Davis (FIU), Kiffin (FAU), Strong (USF), Heupel (UCF), Mullen (UF) and Taggart (FSU)—let alone what is out there nationwide.

Miami as a city and university if a tough sell athletically. Those are just the facts. The majority of coaches out there want to coach in smaller college towns that provide that unique lifestyle for themselves and their families. Selling coaches and administrators on coming down to a private school like "The U"—it's flat-out a tough sell. Always has been and always will be.

Advertisement
Butch would not have loss 5 games with the current roster and cupcake schedule. Also, Butch would not have loss 4 consecutive games IN LESS THAN THREE YEARS! Also, Jeff Thomas would still be on the team.
Nothing but speculation. He plays in a cupcake conference right now.

Advertisement
coaching fraternity is laughing at coker, shannon and golden

or do you believe they've reached the same level as HC at UM since they got canned here?

Advertisement
100% agreed, i do not think that the BOT wants top level football anymore 7,8,maybe 9 wins and the Coastal
is great.... keep collecting the cash..... James is vaguely worthless and only bright spot is a new AD to hire new coach
I have often pondered this and honestly want to know what the University now favors. Our academic ranking is crap with UF rated as a better national university then us. The engineering department has been neglected and needs a thorough facelift, and hasn't seen a dime in God knows how long. The Law School is a paltry 70-somthing in the ranking I thought last time I checked. The Medical school is not stellar at all and the only reason I decided to head to Duke for grad school once I retired from the Corps...what is the BoT prioritizing to better the UM brand?!? I honestly have no idea.

My Clemson coach buddy loves what Rickets is doing in Miami. Thinks he should get another extension really soon

The ****tier we get, the more I realize how special 83-01 was... Wish that time period happened from the time I was 14-32 years old instead of 4-22 so I could appreciate it more. Every year that passes its more likely we will never see the U like this again
And I wish I was younger then and could actually have seen a good Miami team.

I have often pondered this and honestly want to know what the University now favors. Our academic ranking is crap with UF rated as a better national university then us. The engineering department has been neglected and needs a thorough facelift, and hasn't seen a dime in God knows how long. The Law School is a paltry 70-somthing in the ranking I thought last time I checked. The Medical school is not stellar at all and the only reason I decided to head to Duke for grad school once I retired from the Corps...what is the BoT prioritizing to better the UM brand?!? I honestly have no idea.
My thought is that SOMEONE at this damned school is making money, but it isn’t doing the school any good. For the life of me, I can’t understand HOW they get kids (even rich ones) to pay $60000 a year to attend this chit show. I can’t imagine this going on much longer.
My guess is the place implodes soon TOTALLY, probably under a huge scandal, and then becomes part of FIU when the state purchases the campus and buildings.
****, we’d at least have a decent football coach if things crater soon.

Currently, the University of Miami has as much legitimately as Trump U.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Miami is a "premier brand" because of past accomplishments. Honestly, would be curious to know what the brand value would be had Billy Corben not put together "The U" and "The U Part 2" for ESPN's 30 For 30 series—the first dropping in 2009 when the program was already dead.

Fact is, Miami is a private school that was able to compete when on the cutting edge of the game in the 1980s—dominating while everyone else was playing catch up.

This was never a desirable job; not for head coaches, administrators or athletic directors. It's a place where up-and-coming coaches made their names, but never stuck around—Howard to the USFL, Jimmy to Dallas and Dennis to Seattle. Butch showed up to rebuild, but left for Cleveland—while the next three guys all got fired.

AD-wise, you had Jankovich back in the day and then Dee—an attorney who helped navigate Miami through some rough NCAA seas. Outside of that, the two previous clowns prior to James were ladder climbers and guys who used Miami to get better gigs; Hocutt to Texas Tech (which he parlayed into a Playoffs job) and Eichorst, who would up at Nebraska.

Miami is going to forever struggle to compete from this point forward now that college football has so much money and parity. Good Lord, just in-state you have Davis (FIU), Kiffin (FAU), Strong (USF), Heupel (UCF), Mullen (UF) and Taggart (FSU)—let alone what is out there nationwide.

Miami as a city and university if a tough sell athletically. Those are just the facts. The majority of coaches out there want to coach in smaller college towns that provide that unique lifestyle for themselves and their families. Selling coaches and administrators on coming down to a private school like "The U"—it's flat-out a tough sell. Always has been and always will be.
I agree with everything you said. Only delusional Miami fans think the “U” is still a top tier program.

100% agreed, i do not think that the BOT wants top level football anymore 7,8,maybe 9 wins and the Coastal
is great.... keep collecting the cash..... James is vaguely worthless and only bright spot is a new AD to hire new coach

It never did. Howard screwed them up by winning a NC. They immediately double crossed him on plan to finance his on campus stadium. They hated JJ with a passion. They just wanted to win enough games to make the program support itself.

Advertisement

There is only one type of coach for Miami. Young ***** who wants to use us to get to NFL. Our real trouble started with Coker. He wanted to be a lifer. So did Randy and Al want to get to PSU to be a lifer. Mark is clearer a lifer with no ambition at all. Our administration does not like to work hard finding a new coach ever four or so year so they fall for ever lifer type.

We’ve gotten to the point where other teams don't even think about us.Theyre scheduling us for HC games they’re so sure of a win.

This program is D O N E done and CFB doesn’t respect or worry about playing us any more.

If killing the program or turning us into FAU or FIU was their aim they’ve done a great job.

Advertisement
Back