Losers play for the field goal

Advertisement
TVD was in a rhythm, UVA's D was gassed, and our OL was finally pass protecting fairly well. So what do we do? Stop everything that was working, do RB dives into Jakai Clark's asscrack, ice our own kicker, and purposely LOSE yardage on the last play of the game just to get the ball in the middle of the field. Truly unreal how inept and cowardly this staff is.

How about Mendenhall failing to use his first timeout until 30 seconds had run off the clock.
Mendenhall sucks too. Constantly rushing 3 and letting our freshman QB sit back and get comfy.
There is a reason I write before the game, “both teams suck and when bad teams play, anything can happen”.

The NFL examples are foolish. This is college football and we have an inexperienced true freshman kicker.

Last year the Canes had the best kicker in college football and that guy did not make an NFL roster. Its a whole other level of the sport.
He still should have made the kick. I’ve never kicked so I will defer to your thoughts on this, but

As a former basketball player and coach, a 33 yard field goal FEELS like a free throw. And I would expect a true freshman at a P5 program to make a free throw to win a game. But my analogy maybe incorrect as I have never kicked and don’t appreciate the pressure. Is the analogy accurate or is the 33 yard field goal tougher than the free throw?

He still should have made the kick. I’ve never kicked so I will defer to your thoughts on this, but

As a former basketball player and coach, a 33 yard field goal FEELS like a free throw. And I would expect a true freshman at a P5 program to make a free throw to win a game. But my analogy maybe incorrect as I have never kicked and don’t appreciate the pressure. Is the analogy accurate or is the 33 yard field goal tougher than the free throw?

The free throw analogy is flawed on a number of levels. There is no defense on a free throw. You can take as much time as you'd like. No wind, no turf conditions, no snap, no hold. No play clock. Making free throws in HS is the same as making them in college. Not the case with kicking.

There is a massive difference between kicking in HS and kicking in college. I've said for many years now that the toughest transition of any position is kicker.

* HS goal posts are 23' wide. College are 18'-6". (20% smaller)
* Can kick off a tee in HS. On the ground in college.
* Kick off from the 40 yard line in HS. 35 yard line in college.
* Almost no HS teams actually try to block field goals. All college teams have field goal block units. (relates to the speed of your approach on kicks)

Coming into last night Andy Borregales had 8 total field goal attempts in his college career. He's 6 for 8 = 75%
In the 30-39 yard range (where Manny chose to shut down the offense) Andy Borregales is 2 for 3 = 67%.

What Manny did last night was incompetence of the highest order. He took the game away from 84 scholarship athletes and put the entire game in the hands of his youngest, least experienced player and gave his team only a 67-75% chance of winning the game. This was gross incompetence on Manny's part.

Advertisement
I’m not blaming TVD..it was his first start..wtf does that have to do with what we were discussing..the field goal debate is a accumulation of negative sentiment with performance..it’s where we are rn. And I get
You brought TVD up trying to deflect.

Losers play for the FG is true. Manny played for the FG and we lost.
The free throw analogy is flawed on a number of levels. There is no defense on a free throw. You can take as much time as you'd like. No wind, no turf conditions, no snap, no hold. No play clock. Making free throws in HS is the same as making them in college. Not the case with kicking.

There is a massive difference between kicking in HS and kicking in college. I've said for many years now that the toughest transition of any position is kicker.

* HS goal posts are 23' wide. College are 18'-6". (20% smaller)
* Can kick off a tee in HS. On the ground in college.
* Kick off from the 40 yard line in HS. 35 yard line in college.
* Almost no HS teams actually try to block field goals. All college teams have field goal block units. (relates to the speed of your approach on kicks)

Coming into last night Andy Borregales had 8 total field goal attempts in his college career. He's 6 for 8 = 75%
In the 30-39 yard range (where Manny chose to shut down the offense) Andy Borregales is 2 for 3 = 67%.

What Manny did last night was incompetence of the highest order. He took the game away from 84 scholarship athletes and put the entire game in the hands of his youngest, least experienced player and gave his team only a 67-75% chance of winning the game. This was gross incompetence on Manny's part.
Bingo Tarantino GIF - Bingo Tarantino Thats A Bingo GIFs

Y’all saw what happened to Clarke on that touchdown, Gurvan glitching out, all those missed tackles and you guys want to trot our defense back out there to win the game???? Lmaoooooooooo man y’all are funny. I get it, I get it, we don’t want manny and he should be gone.

Advertisement
He put the game on the line with the percentages. It was the right call.
. I would take the L by being aggressive then playing chicken **** . You have hope if your coach is a savage instead some a coward playing chicken **** with a true freshman kickee

Advertisement
Back