Lorenzo Lingard

Basically I want to start looking like an NFL team again.

210 lbs. is the rough cutoff of where a RB can be a #1 guy for an NFL team.

If Lingard can get to 210 without losing much speed it'll be much better for Miami, and much better for his NFL prospects.

We can't keep rolling out 200 lb starting RB's like Homer, Walton, Yearby, Duke as our norm.
Al Golden, is that you?

Advertisement

If Lingard can get to 210 without losing much speed it'll be much better for Miami, and much better for his NFL prospects.

We can't keep rolling out 200 lb starting RB's like Homer, Walton, Yearby, Duke as our norm.
I get the concept of having a bigger back as your main back. What I don't get is this arbitrary weight cut off. A guy can't be great at 205pds but yet he can be great if he puts 5 more on? That just doesn't make any sense.

Lol. Literally 3 out of the 4 RB's you mentioned are in the NFL.

Right - and Duke is #3 on the depth chart, while Walton and Homer will have to fight to make the team. I love Duke & Homer - but they're not #1 guys in the NFL.

Meanwhile Lamar Miller goes 220 lbs and has been a #1 guy for the last 6 years.

Having guys that just make NFL rosters vs. having guys that actually play in the NFL is a big difference. We need more guys that can play.

Advertisement
Five pounds makes a difference for the same reason there are so many weight classes in boxing.

Putting 15 pounds of muscle on a guy while maintaining speed and agility is a HUGE deal. Problem is there is still too much of a focus on the weight gain and stamina aspects of s&c coaches.

Many are not up to snuff with making guys bigger AND faster.

The game is changing and even NFL guys are playing lighter. The get bigger mentality will still be around though.

Right - and Duke is #3 on the depth chart, while Walton and Homer will have to fight to make the team. I love Duke & Homer - but they're not #1 guys in the NFL.

Meanwhile Lamar Miller goes 220 lbs and has been a #1 guy for the last 6 years.

Having guys that just make NFL rosters vs. having guys that actually play in the NFL is a big difference. We need more guys that can play.
220 pounds for an nfl running back with the speed of Lamar Miller is really as good as it gets. Bshaw is right, rbs weighing less than 200 or so do often get looked down on because they appear fragile and small. Lingard can get up to 215 or so without losing any speed imo and probably even more than that. He’s that gifted. And it would absolutely help his future at the next level. Regardless lingard and cam Davis are two of the most physically impressive backs Miami has had in years imo

I get the concept of having a bigger back as your main back. What I don't get is this arbitrary weight cut off. A guy can't be great at 205pds but yet he can be great if he puts 5 more on? That just doesn't make any sense.

@For_The_U & @OriginalCanesCanesCanes

I know the difference between 205 & 210 doesn't look like much on paper.

Projecting to the NFL - 210 is about the weight where a RB can begin to carry a full load, and be a #1 guy. It does happen - but it's not very often an NFL teams #1 guy in under 210 - because they just can't handle the wear and tear.

33 RB's have been drafted in the first 3 Rounds of the last 5 NFL Drafts. 27 of 33 (82%) have been 210+

RB's between 210 - 216 lbs.

Kareem Hunt - 216
Damien Harris - 216
Melvin Gordon - 215
Sony Michel - 214
Alvin Kamara - 214
Kerryon Johnson - 213
Miles Sanders - 211
Dalvin Cook - 210
Kenyan Drake - 210

RB's under 210 lbs.

Darrell Henderson - 208
Duke Johnson - 207
Tevin Coleman - 206
Ameer Abdallah - 205
Devin Singletary - 203
Christian McCaffery - 202

See the difference?

Projecting to the NFL - 210 is about the weight where a RB can begin to carry a full load, and be a #1 guy. It does happen - but it's not very often an NFL teams #1 guy in under 210 - because they just can't handle the wear and tear.

33 RB's have been drafted in the first 3 Rounds of the last 5 NFL Drafts. 27 of 33 (82%) have been 210+

Kareem Hunt - 216
Damien Harris - 216
Melvin Gordon - 215
Sony Michel - 214
Alvin Kamara - 214
Kerryon Johnson - 213
Miles Sanders - 211
Dalvin Cook - 210
Kenyan Drake - 210

RB's under 210 lbs.

Darrell Henderson - 208
Duke Johnson - 207
Tevin Coleman - 206
Ameer Abdallah - 205
Devin Singletary - 203

See the difference?
Bshaw is one of the best posters when it comes to the rb position. In all of the discussions about rbs he throughly analyze this position and knows what he’s talking about lol. Listen to this man

Advertisement

Kareem Hunt - 216
Damien Harris - 216
Melvin Gordon - 215
Sony Michel - 214
Alvin Kamara - 214
Kerryon Johnson - 213
Miles Sanders - 211
Dalvin Cook - 210
Kenyan Drake - 210

RB's under 210 lbs.

Darrell Henderson - 208
Duke Johnson - 207
Tevin Coleman - 206
Ameer Abdallah - 205
Devin Singletary - 203

See the difference?
Solid post!

Kareem Hunt - 216
Damien Harris - 216
Melvin Gordon - 215
Sony Michel - 214
Alvin Kamara - 214
Kerryon Johnson - 213
Miles Sanders - 211
Dalvin Cook - 210
Kenyan Drake - 210

RB's under 210 lbs.

Darrell Henderson - 208
Duke Johnson - 207
Tevin Coleman - 206
Ameer Abdallah - 205
Devin Singletary - 203

See the difference?
Every single guy on your under 210 list had a season in college of 1500+ rushing yds. Yes, you need to be bigger to consistently withstand the punishment of an NFL season. But I'm more worried about what you can do as a Cane. I'll take a 1500 yard rusher on my team any day, whether he's 190 or 230.

Bshaw is one of the best posters when it comes to the rb position. In all of the discussions about rbs he throughly analyze this position and knows what he’s talking about lol. Listen to this man

You just like the higher weight because it looks better in your posters....and in your dreams

Kareem Hunt - 216
Damien Harris - 216
Melvin Gordon - 215
Sony Michel - 214
Alvin Kamara - 214
Kerryon Johnson - 213
Miles Sanders - 211
Dalvin Cook - 210
Kenyan Drake - 210

RB's under 210 lbs.

Darrell Henderson - 208
Duke Johnson - 207
Tevin Coleman - 206
Ameer Abdallah - 205
Devin Singletary - 203

See the difference?

Your analysis lacks statistical validity

Advertisement

The Stupidity of this Porst is Mount Rushmore type Sh*t.....

Gracias Brock.

You're right - our RB room looks a lot better than it has in years. I really like where we're at with our RB's.

Advertisement

Phillip Lindsay
Football running back
Height: 5′ 8″
Weight: 190 lbs

Christian McCaffrey
Football running back
Height: 5′ 11″
Weight: 205 lbs

So many running backs that have done well at around 199 to 209 pounds in the NFL, not only now but historically. Let me throw some old names at you.

Barry Sanders
LaDainian Tomlinson
Marshall Faulk
Thurman Thomas
Curtis Thomas
Tony Dorsett
Walter Payton

None of those guys were over 210, some were just barely over 200.

I can make statistics say anything I want.

Unless you’re doing a multi factorial regression analysis, don’t come at me with third grade weight charts.

Advertisement
Back