Lorenzo Lingard

Advertisement
Similar from a speed perspective. Only difference between the two and it's a stark one is lo sees a whole and attacks it while c.j. was very shifty. Straight line opposed to bursts.

Agreed 100%, was only comparing speed. Spiller had a really nice jump cut.

One thing Lingard needs to work on (and Spiller had the same issue) is contact balance. He gets knocked sideways and backwards too easily. Hopefully a year of physical maturity will help him.

Agreed 100%, was only comparing speed. Spiller had a really nice jump cut.

One thing Lingard needs to work on (and Spiller had the same issue) is contact balance. He gets knocked sideways and backwards too easily. Hopefully a year of physical maturity will help him.
Seems to be putting in some work in the weight room. Excited to see how he progresses in that area.

That’s pretty good to you in games 6-13 specifically?
6 of the last 8 games with less than 4.0 ypc is not good for a Miami back. Not saying he isn’t good but the way he finished last season with inefficient running and fumble issues in multiple games, he got a lot to prove this year imo. And my overarching point is that is a reason he shouldn’t be just anointed the starting job just yet
The main thing with deejay (and I love the boy. Great kid) is we arent using him correctly. He needs to be a complimentary back. He needs to be in motion at all times. Split him wide and let him take advantage of those mismatches. With our qb play and him running wheel routes, it wouldnt have been amazing. But that's not his fault. I see his game and I think Donnell Bennett or Jason geathers. Our starter needs to be either cam or lo. I'm curious how cams explosiveness holds up if hes getting a heavy load. That's something to monitor cause in short bursts that kid is a threat to bust every single play. Gotta say I was wrong about him. In high school he didnt impress me at all. He played img senior year and I just couldn't see it. I was wrong. Back to deejay the fumble issues were a direct result of being overused and he was playing through a separated shoulder. Kept popping out and it showed. Ease up on him. Realize hes not superman. He is what he is.

Advertisement
Has DJ lost any weight or gotten more explosive?

I really liked his potential in 2017.

He was never a burner, but he had that sneaky shiftiness that gets 10-20 yard runs consistently.

Seemed like he lost some of that trying to get bigger for 2018. The predictable nature of our offense reduced all of our backs potential. They never seemed to be able to hit the line with momentum like in 2017.

Even Travis seemed less explosive. He ran hard and I bout did a back flip when he trucked that defender against FSU, but he looked shot out of a cannon when he first took over for Mark. Seemed to give credibility to the speculation that he was battling nagging injuries.
This is where yall gotta understand the role of the staff. As some of yall have been able to point out the program gus ran was very similar to what alfraud ran in the sense of let's just make these kids big as possible and strong. Alfraud actually had a better program cause atleast each group had their own workouts and own numbers. With gus everyone did the exact same workout. Now you gotta understand who deejay is as a person. Kids a leader. Hes all in. So for him it's about this is what I'm told to do I'm gonna do it big. Unfortunately when it involved lots of carbs and protein and nothing but a workout designed to build mass it's obvious the outcome. Yes hes lost some weight and has some explosiveness back. With him it's all about short bursts & change of direction. Hes good at THAT.

We don’t really disagree. We just have some posters who don’t want to let things play out and are chomping at the bit to cite favoritism, bigotry, etc as to why their guy doesn’t start at WR, QB, RB, DB, DT or DE. I don’t care who starts, I just want Miami to play great football and win.
Completely agree

He was without Question the Fastest Kid at Under Armour game a few yrs ago...Not only the game, but the practices the week leading up...I purposely took a couple days off, combined with the weekend to watch practices from close up....He even Won the Fastest Man event. It was Comical, what he did too 4 & 5* DBs....Not one of them had a chance off the line. Personally, he loafs somewhat on Long TD Catch & Run's...Happened during the UA game on his TD where the last 25yds he kinda played too much...All I know is what I saw that week...and I saw a kid make a Mockery of the Elite....Reminds me of Roscoe Parrish..with alittle better recieving skills.
That's actually a VERY good comparison! Didnt think about it as much till now. He has better receiving skills at this point cause scoe was just a flat out athlete for the high. I see alot of several players in him. Darnell has always been my look. Would love to see him watch alot more film on Santana cause with more heart and prep that's his ceiling and it's a **** good one to achieve.

What's so "dumb"? U think DJ is a better RB than Cam?
Yall please dont make me go on record as agreeing with rev... remember context and word age here. While deejay is the better PROVEN FOOTBALL player at this point it's not even close when it pertains to simply the best running back. Deejay as a running back is third out of cam and lo. Honestly if burns ever gets some burn himself that narrative can change as well. We have a **** good rb room. Blocking could greatly improve from all except DJ though.

Advertisement
Is this wishful thinking or inside info? I really wont be surprised if he lost a little explosiveness like most who have knee surgeries.
Are you serious? That's Lo's family... I'd say that's inside info. @Tweed all the times you've spoke up for me I finally got to do the same for you. See you soon brother.

This is where yall gotta understand the role of the staff. As some of yall have been able to point out the program gus ran was very similar to what alfraud ran in the sense of let's just make these kids big as possible and strong. Alfraud actually had a better program cause atleast each group had their own workouts and own numbers. With gus everyone did the exact same workout. Now you gotta understand who deejay is as a person. Kids a leader. Hes all in. So for him it's about this is what I'm told to do I'm gonna do it big. Unfortunately when it involved lots of carbs and protein and nothing but a workout designed to build mass it's obvious the outcome. Yes hes lost some weight and has some explosiveness back. With him it's all about short bursts & change of direction. Hes good at THAT.

Great post.

This is one of the reasons I was excited when Hester’s name came up for s&c.

His philosophy for speed training is similar to what I have heard from good track coaches.

Going 100% for short burst and taking LONG recoveries between reps. Seems like our last two guys were more focused on size and strength.

Hopefully Feeley can bring it all together with size, strength, conditioning AND speed.

Really want to see more house calls for 2019 and beyond. I think we have guys with game breaking ability.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Spillar was way faster than Lingard. 10.40 to Lo 10.71 in high school.
I’m sure spiller didn’t enroll early so he got a chance to drop his 100m time his senior season as opposed to lingard who only ran it his junior year. Moreover lingard main event in the past in track hasn’t even been the 100m it was the hurdles so based on that he could have improved his time immensely his senior season with more training in the 100m

Pope was the guy whose game was most negatively affected by Richt's plain jane offense. He needed to be put in motion for a clean get off. Looks like Pope is doing the work to add to his skillset. This attitude, coupled with the overall talent the 2018 class provided could be scary. Time will tell.

DJ can ball. Crazy athlete. Geathers on a less talented team. Looking forward to seeing more of Lo, not sure why posters slept on a CC RB. Cam is a running back.

Go Canes!

Great post.

This is one of the reasons I was excited when Hester’s name came up for s&c.

His philosophy for speed training is similar to what I have heard from good track coaches.

Going 100% for short burst and taking LONG recoveries between reps. Seems like our last two guys were more focused on size and strength.

Hopefully Feeley can bring it all together with size, strength, conditioning AND speed.

Really want to see more house calls for 2019 and beyond. I think we have guys with game breaking ability.
For me alot of that begins with an emphasis on special teams. Zero excuse for us not being top 5 in special teams yearly. We've been far too caught up in the emphasis of the clean return rather than the return or coverage in itself. When you have to fear kicking the ball to us it puts added pressure on the opposing team obviously. Anything were BUILT to exploit we should be.

A former player (will remain nameless) shared with me the amount of partying that occurred going into that game. Wouldn’t have mattered what we ran that day.
I feared that game was lost when Erickson said he wasn't doing any special planning. I believe his quote was something like, "We're gonna use what brung us here." That was when I knew he mentally checked out.

Advertisement
Back