Looks like schools can now pay players.

1000002428.jpg

Advertisement
I think it will be 50-60 teams in one super conference with paid players, then everyone else who was formerly D1 will still have “amateur football” where players get scholarships and a small stipend.

To be honest, it might be more fun to watch the latter. Watching paid college players that are basically pros would be like watching the CFL or XFL- why would I interested in watching a worse version of the NFL? I get having interest as an alumnus, but a lot of casual fans will stop caring.

Who knows- Maybe high school football will explode on tv as it will be the only football that differentiates itself substantially from the NFL.
Oh shiiit. From lots of corruption to unbridled corruption
No worries, government will clean that up too

I'd be shocked if Congress picks this up. There's not much sympathy in Congress for restricting the earning potential of players who generate billions of dollars in revenues.

Sure there'll be some guys in Congress who love college football and will feel it's of upmost national importance to "preserve the competitive balance". But those guys are a distinct minority.
See representatives from $EC territory…

Last edited:
Advertisement
“As part of the settlement, scholarship caps are eliminated and new roster limits will be implemented. Schools are now permitted to put on scholarship every member of a roster as long as they stay within a newly set roster limit.”

Ummm, so baseball…
499 man teams again?

I think it will be 50-60 teams in one super conference with paid players, then everyone else who was formerly D1 will still have “amateur football” where players get scholarships and a small stipend.

To be honest, it might be more fun to watch the latter. Watching paid college players that are basically pros would be like watching the CFL or XFL- why would I interested in watching a worse version of the NFL? I get having interest as an alumnus, but a lot of casual fans will stop caring.

Who knows- Maybe high school football will explode on tv as it will be the only football that differentiates itself substantially from the NFL.
Interesting takes. I wonder where the service academics will play. They already get slammed with losses in the portal without being able to gain anyone. Also, they already get paid a military stipend along with full academic scholarships. I wonder if their players can receive any of this NCAA 💲💲💲?

Advertisement
Nah. I continued to tell this board there would be unintended consequences w/ NIL & those unintended consequences are now felt w/in Congress.

Here’s the thing; we don’t have the smartest ppl leading, we just have a bunch of ppl who were smart enough to convince the masses they’re leaders.

I might create a thread on this or not, but these unintended consequences could’ve easily been mitigated 10 yrs ago as the writings on the wall began manifesting itself, & can still easily be fixed today, but u know, leadership issues.

I've wanted to expand on my thoughts about all this as well.

I responded to D$'s specific post regarding Congressional legislation to exempt college football from anti-trust, restraint of trade, etc laws and the recent Supreme Court rulings that have entirely gone against the NCAA, in the case where no collective bargaining unit; i.e. players union, will exist.

The ND Pres/other Presidents/NCAA are asking Congress to in fact do this very thing. They want Congress to pass a law(s) denying players the right to receive market compensation for the value they create w/o a collective bargaining unit being in place for the players. This is the NCAA's ask when you get to the essence of the matter. Zero chance Congress grants this ask from the NCAA. In fact, some of the oldest laws on the books exist are completely counter to what the NCAA is asking.

If anyone believes Congress will grant the NCAA legal protection absent a collective bargaining unit that represents the players then I strongly disagree.

The huge amount of money involved with college football is a relatively recent phenomenon. Back before the big money everybody just ignored the fact the the NCAA rules violate multiple, centuries old laws. Now that big money has entered the picture, the substantial violations of US laws by the NCAA can no longer be ignored.

And let's be clear about this: the NCAA's arrangement regarding limits on compensation, freedom of movement, etc absolutely and positively DO violate multiple, centuries old US laws. The proof of this is that the US Courts up to the Supreme Court have ruled each and every time that the NCAA's rules are illegal.

Congress will not create a new law giving college football the right to be exempt from existing US laws that pertain to every other business and industry in the United States, including professional sports leagues in order to prevent college athletes from realizing their full market value.

What the NCAA is asking Congress to do is to give it exemptions that don't even exist for the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc and uniquely penalize college players in a way that no other business or industry in the US is allowed to do. The professional sports leagues had to agree to unionization in order to legalize their set up vis a vis their players. Which leads to...

There is a road towards Congressional legislation that would provide legal protection to the NCAA and college football. This road would involve college players unionizing thereby giving them a collective bargaining unit. Unionizing college football would likely cause Congress to act since it would be consistent with the anti-trust exemption for pro sports leagues. But the ND Pres/other university presidents/NCAA do not want this.

If the suits who run college football bite the bullet and help create a collective bargaining unit for the players, there can be Congressional action for college football.

If those suits who run college football think Congress is going to give them anti-trust, restraint of trade, etc exemptions without a collective bargaining unit being established for the players, they will fail.

Last edited:

Well the obvious major difference is that it is a youth league. Or will they abolish the eligibility rules/time limits, too?

Honest, naive question: why are there no "bag men" in the NFL? Why don´t owners give free agents a wink-and-a-nod and a few extra million under the table in order to circumvent the salary cap? And why would those same preventative mechanisms not exist in TSFKACFB (The sport formerly known as college football)?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Honest, naive question: why are there no "bag men" in the NFL? Why don´t owners give free agents a wink-and-a-nod and a few extra million under the table in order to circumvent the salary cap? And why would those same preventative mechanisms not exist in TSFNACFB (The sport formerly known as college football)?
ie: Benihana dinners

Advertisement
Back