Looks Like Barry Jackson had an undercover guy at the scrimmage

Point taken. But it’s fall camp and we are still playing musical chairs trying to find 5 guys to line up. It’s a clusterfcuk.
Interesting they decided to shore up the interior line and seemingly roll the dice with the Tackles rather than kick Scaife out and sorta play whack a mole.

Advertisement
I’m out here in Texas and I can tell you that a lot of people just don’t understand how different ball is west of the Mississippi.
It’s all about the offense - wide open, shotgun, no press man, weak D lines, shaky competition, etc. It’s easy for these little jitterbug QBs to get hyped up on a good team.

But when you have giant DEs (like UM’s) storming in on a 5’8” QB with real coverage in the secondary, it’s not going to end well. We’re talking 6 sacks, 10 batted down passes, 3 INTs type **** every game. Too easy to game plan against these jits.

Interesting they decided to shore up the interior line and seemingly roll the dice with the Tackles rather than kick Scaife out and sorta play whack a mole.
Brock mentioned chipping. I read Enos was running a bunch of 2 TE sets pretty much everywhere he’s been. As crazy as it may sound, Michael Irvin could become an important piece to this OL. I just can’t see how these tackles hold up without help.

Just projecting here, but shoring up the interior combined with what I mentioned about Enos not moving the pocket much makes me think we need a QB that can climb the pocket (and see over the OL). Much as I said last year that Dallas was a better fit at RB with this OL bc of his shiftiness (vs Homer’s 1 cut and go style), I just don’t see how Tate fits. Again, I haven’t seen anything with my own eyes and am just projecting for message board fodder.

Jacksons article re-emphasizes why I've been saying that the qb order is #1 Martell, #2 JW, #3 Perry. DCs who become new HCs care about 1 thing above all- no turnovers to give the opponents short fields. A distant #2 is mobility as running QBs can wreak havoc on a defense. Taking sacks isnt (usually) fatal as long as the qb doesn't put the ball on the ground. That's why a good punter is essential.

In these scrimmages, we dont know if a ball was tipped or totally a WRs fault so I dont put much stock in the ints. Sacks- I'm pretty sure the coaches blow the whistle when it LOOKS like a qb is going to be sacked, which means it doesn't allow the qb to run around much and make plays with his legs. Also, no idea as to whether the sacks were coverage sacks. Don't know if the QBs are instructed to throw a ball out of bounds if no receivers are open. What is totally inexcusable is dropping the ball or getting it stripped. No justifying that. That's 100% on the qb and is a one way to ticket to the bench.

Let's say Martell gets sacked 6 times by UF but we have a top 10 Defense. Based on last year's numbers, a top 10 D gives up less than 18.1 ppg. Is it realistic for an offense to score 19 points if a qb gets sacked 6 times? Sure, as long as he has zero turnovers.

Williams doesn't have to be mobile but he needs to counter that with pocket presence. If he can feel the rush and get rid of the ball (to his safety valve or throw the ball away) he can also run an efficient offense.

Perry isn't taking care of the ball. That's a trend from last year. Its getting late in the offseason for him to show Manny he's a different qb from the one our former DC saw last year.

Advertisement
Brock mentioned chipping. I read Enos was running a bunch of 2 TE sets pretty much everywhere he’s been. As crazy as it may sound, Michael Irvin could become an important piece to this OL. I just can’t see how these tackles hold up without help.

Just projecting here, but shoring up the interior combined with what I mentioned about Enos not moving the pocket much makes me think we need a QB that can climb the pocket (and see over the OL). Much as I said last year that Dallas was a better fit at RB with this OL bc of his shiftiness (vs Homer’s 1 cut and go style), I just don’t see how Tate fits. Again, I haven’t seen anything with my own eyes and am just projecting for message board fodder.

Agreed, Enos and Barry will have to be creative at this point in terms of their schemes and hide certain guys till another Bryant McKinnie and Leon Searcy walk through that door. But just getting the ball out of the QB's hands(whoever that may be) will be key...

I don't think Scaife stays at OG. And we're only one week into Fall camp, so I expect Enos is going to start getting a lot more creative this week and moving forward.

The thing that ****es me off the most about Richt from last year is that he NEVER gave Williams a chance to get game experience even though there were numerous times where he could have played.

Who knows that maybe just maybe if JW gets some game experience then all this QB battle is a moot point and the conversation would be about the OL rather than the QBs..Still can’t figure out why he wouldn’t put the kid in even as Rosier AND Perry continued to stink up the place..

Prob did him a favor by not burning his shirt for no reason at all. He had Rosier and Perry.

Advertisement

It's all a guess for me, too. Practice access is stingier than usual. Haven't gotten invited to watch anything and I'm cool with finding out on 08/24 wtf we're going to do about a True Frosh LT and a RS Soph RT with 0 combined starts.

If we have a 1a and 1b after next week, you know we are in trouble at QB bc Manny has already said he doesn’t believe in 2qbs. Let’s hope our D can create a **** ton of turnovers for our QBs.

Jacksons article re-emphasizes why I've been saying that the qb order is #1 Martell, #2 JW, #3 Perry. DCs who become new HCs care about 1 thing above all- no turnovers to give the opponents short fields. A distant #2 is mobility as running QBs can wreak havoc on a defense. Taking sacks isnt (usually) fatal as long as the qb doesn't put the ball on the ground. That's why a good punter is essential.

In these scrimmages, we dont know if a ball was tipped or totally a WRs fault so I dont put much stock in the ints. Sacks- I'm pretty sure the coaches blow the whistle when it LOOKS like a qb is going to be sacked, which means it doesn't allow the qb to run around much and make plays with his legs. Also, no idea as to whether the sacks were coverage sacks. Don't know if the QBs are instructed to throw a ball out of bounds if no receivers are open. What is totally inexcusable is dropping the ball or getting it stripped. No justifying that. That's 100% on the qb and is a one way to ticket to the bench.

Let's say Martell gets sacked 6 times by UF but we have a top 10 Defense. Based on last year's numbers, a top 10 D gives up less than 18.1 ppg. Is it realistic for an offense to score 19 points if a qb gets sacked 6 times? Sure, as long as he has zero turnovers.

Williams doesn't have to be mobile but he needs to counter that with pocket presence. If he can feel the rush and get rid of the ball (to his safety valve or throw the ball away) he can also run an efficient offense.

Perry isn't taking care of the ball. That's a trend from last year. Its getting late in the offseason for him to show Manny he's a different qb from the one our former DC saw last year.
Perry interception was tipped and willians was just a play on the ball.

Advertisement
Agreed, Enos and Barry will have to be creative at this point in terms of their schemes and hide certain guys till another Bryant McKinnie and Leon Searcy walk through that door. But just getting the ball out of the QB's hands(whoever that may be) will be key...
2 things that do encourage me re scheming:

1. Enos shifts pre-snap constantly. I watched a play he ran at Arkansas - against a Bama team that won the title that year - where he shifted twice, and ended up bunching his WRs to allow the no 1 Target on the play to get off the line cleanly. Bama DBs were confused, trying to point out their coverages. Didn’t work, & it went for a TD. I can see how this stuff wouldn’t be incorporated yet during the first scrimmage. The best is yet to come.

2. JT4 is our wildcard. I’ve never been one of the guys calling for reverses & jetsweeps (motion is a different story, as I’ve lost years off my life screaming for it), but lining JT4 up all over the field, faking reverses, etc, that stuff freezes DEs and EDGEs. He has that Percy Harvin vibe. The Barry article reaffirms the narrative that Enos will use him properly this year.

I don’t think the sky is falling, but it’d be nice to have to have a season where we don’t have to constantly talk about scheming around the OL. Unfortunately this isn’t the year. Bad draw getting gators week zero, but if the defense does it’s job as expected and special teams can fight to a draw with gators STs (see what I did there, k9), we can sneak one as 7 point dogs.

686CCFDA-4F33-495A-AB55-E9D64DC580C0.jpeg

Advertisement
2 things that do encourage me re scheming:

1. Enos shifts pre-snap constantly. I watched a play he ran at Arkansas - against a Bama team that won the title that year - where he shifted twice, and ended up bunching his WRs to allow the no 1 Target on the play to get off the line cleanly. Bama DBs were confused, trying to point out their coverages. Didn’t work, & it went for a TD. I can see how this stuff wouldn’t be incorporated yet during the first scrimmage. The best is yet to come.

2. JT4 is our wildcard. I’ve never been one of the guys calling for reverses & jetsweeps (motion is a different story, as I’ve lost years off my life screaming for it), but lining JT4 up all over the field, faking reverses, etc, that stuff freezes DEs and EDGEs. He has that Percy Harvin vibe. The Barry article reaffirms the narrative that Enos will use him properly this year.

I don’t think the sky is falling, but it’d be nice to have to have a season where we don’t have to constantly talk about scheming around the OL. Unfortunately this isn’t the year. Bad draw getting gators week zero, but if the defense does it’s job as expected and special teams can fight to a draw with gators STs (see what I did there, k9), we can sneak one as 7 point dogs.

JT4 needs to have at least 8 real offensive touches a game, I mean, he was on pace for less than 50 catches last season which is a disgrace. Guy can be Santana Moss-esque in the way he can make explosive plays, and he was wasted for much of 2018

Regardless, I think Enos will coach em' up, he wont be a guy that will talk about plays that have worked for 30 years.

Advertisement
Back