Looks Like Barry Jackson had an undercover guy at the scrimmage

Of course, but the offense hasn’t had that same amount of time to gel. They’ll make a big jump from game 1 to game 3, IMO.
this is common sense, and yet we've already got people in here acting like it's gonna be the end of the world if we lose to florida. if we put up a solid fight and then see growth the next few weeks we're gonna be in a pretty good spot.

Advertisement
Tate limits our offense and just isn’t talented enough as a QB to lead this team. He is a very talented athlete though and would be a unique weapon as a slot WR and wildcat QB.

You hard on the kid. What if he’s named the starter? You hanging it up until 2020?

tenor.gif
LMAO Perfect gif

You hard on the kid. What if he’s named the starter? You hanging it up until 2020?

I would seriously be disappointed if Tate was named the starter bc I don’t see how being scared in the pocket and not being able to stretch the field is a recipe for success. Jeff Thomas would fckn snap if he has to deal with that again for another season. But I would still support the team and just hope he really is Johnny Manziel when it’s game time.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If you have concerns about the oline there are ways to scheme around it including going to shotgun more often, quick passes etc. it’s not hard and if enos is who we think he is, he knows this
I’ve seen this narrative before and it is nonsense. Quick passes - if predictable - get batted at the LOS or jumped. I think it was whipple who was telegraphing WR screens a few years back and a few almost went for house calls in the other direction. This would especially be true with 6’ Tate, who I kind of root for to get the job.

I remember being ridiculed last season for suggesting our weak OL would hurt us in short yardage and goal line situations. The lynch mob told me we can run unbalanced lines at the goal line or run reverses or whatever nonsense it was.

QB is not our biggest issue. It’s OL. A few new freshman and a new OL coach aren’t gonna change the disaster we saw last year overnight.

This is not to discredit your entire post Brock, bc certainly scheming goes a long way, and give me anyone over Richt - esp the guy Saban had tapped to run his offense this year. I just have serious concerns about the OL and the trickle down effect on the offense.

I would be concerned if he wasn’t upset about these things. I can’t remember the last time we had an OC that wasn’t 1. making excuses for his O or 2. calling a halfback pass in inclement weather.

Here’s what I know, without Barry Jackson: we have a first year OC trying to overhaul the 105th total offense in the country. This was his first scrimmage, and it was against one of the most complete defenses in college football. Unfortunately, he has to play a pretty good team right out of the gate, a rival no less, so every single vibration of the apparatus gets magnified times 1,000.

No matter what we are setting ourselves up for failure with the UF game. Lose and we’ll say, “nothing has changed”, win and we’ll starting pouring anointing oil like it’s cheap champagne. The reality will be somewhere short of both conclusions, where the Coastal is attainable but the effort necessary achieve it requires more effort than we want to believe.

Sensible.

A lot of porsters are claiming we should be able to sleepwalk our way to a Coastal title. From a talent perspective, we’re significantly better. The concern is that this team hasn’t run like a well oiled machine in forever, not even a good running clunker.

We should win the Coastal, but it won’t be a walk in the park, unless this team jells quickly - not just with each other, but with the coaching staff. Also, I get the sense Manny feels we still have too many quitters on the team.

Last edited:
Advertisement
▪ N’Kosi Perry and Jarren Williams each threw an interception, and both were caught by impressive young safety Gurvan Hall. Perry’s pick was off a deflection, but the ball was thrown into heavy traffic, and Hall returned it for a touchdown.
Williams’ interception came when he threw the ball deep and Hall made a play on it.
TOP ARTICLES
▪ That wasn’t Perry’s only turnover Sunday. The ball fell out of Perry’s hands when he ****ed his arm to throw it, resulting in a fumble.
One UM official said the big concern with Perry remains his penchant for turnovers, which was an issue last season and at times in practice last week.
If not for the turnovers, he might be clearly leading the competition.
Then again, without the iceberg, the Titanic might have been a delightful cruise.
Nonetheless, Perry remains firmly in the starting race, and he did some nice things Sunday, including a few nifty touch passes and two really nice runs. He’s generally processing defenses better than a year ago.

One observer thought Williams was narrowly the best Sunday but that it wasn’t clear cut and nobody has taken command of this QB battle. Besides the pick to Hall, Williams threw a couple of other passes that were near interceptions.
But the UM person said Williams showed good command of the offense and led a couple of long drives. Williams, like Perry, appears more serious and diligent about what’s expected of him than a year ago.

Martell had the cleanest scrimmage in terms of not committing a turnover but was sacked a half dozen times and looked tentative when the pocket collapsed, the official said.
Martell had some success throwing underneath but didn’t do a lot of damage downfield. He gained decent yards on designed runs, but Greg Rousseau flustered him and was often in his face.
Martell and Williams both ran for touchdowns.

▪ UM hopes to determine a starter after next weekend’s scrimmage, and unless someone really emerges this week, this is going to be a very difficult call because there’s no clear-cut magic solution among the three, though all have their strengths and all have had their moments.
Manny Diaz said the quarterbacks evenly shared first- and second-team snaps in the scrimmage.
▪ Overall, the defense had the upper hand Sunday, which wasn’t surprising. UM’s defense could be among the top quarter in the country at the very least. Conversely, the offense still has a lot of question marks, not only at quarterback but with a line featuring only one starter with a lot of starting experience.
▪ The official said Rousseau was exceptional Sunday,with at least three sacks. Hall had a sack, and Shaq Quarterman and Mike Pinckney were among other defenders who were impactful.
And besides Hall, Manny Diaz singled out Amari Carter, Derrick Smith and Rob Knowles during his appearance Monday with WQAM’s Joe Rose.
▪ The UM official described offensive coordinator Dan Enos as agitated by several things, including the pass protection issues and penalties for false starts and delay of game.
There was initially considerable concern after running back Cam’Ron Harris sustained what appeared to be a knee injury. Harris needed to be helped off but was walking OK by the end of the night. UM hasn’t publicly addressed injuries from the scrimmage.
▪ Freshman receiver Jeremiah Payton had a couple of nice catches and continues to impress. Mike Harley Jr. had a long gain on a catch down the sidelines.
▪ DeeJay Dallas had a touchdown on a swing pass.
▪ Look for this staff to maximize Jeff Thomas’ explosiveness. He had a sizable gain on a jet sweep.

Barry is by far the most plugged in as to what's going with anyone on the Miami beat.

I’ve seen this narrative before and it is nonsense. Quick passes - if predictable - get batted at the LOS or jumped. I think it was whipple who was telegraphing WR screens a few years back and a few almost went for house calls in the other direction. This would especially be true with 6’ Tate, who I kind of root for to get the job.

I remember being ridiculed last season for suggesting our weak OL would hurt us in short yardage and goal line situations. The lynch mob told me we can run unbalanced lines at the goal line or run reverses or whatever nonsense it was.

QB is not our biggest issue. It’s OL. A few new freshman and a new OL coach aren’t gonna change the disaster we saw last year overnight.

This is not to discredit your entire post Brock, bc certainly scheming goes a long way, and give me anyone over Richt - esp the guy Saban had tapped to run his offense this year. I just have serious concerns about the OL and the trickle down effect on the offense.
You just have to get creative with the situations you are given. Getting the ball out fast, keeping a tight end to help chip an edge player, rolling outside of the pocket. It’s a multitude of ways to endure this situation we have and enos knows this. We will see on the 24th

Advertisement
Sensible.

A lot of porsters are claiming we should be able to sleepwalk our way to a Coastal title. From a talent perspective, we’re significantly better. The concern is that this team hasn’t run like a well oiled machine in forever, not even a good running clunker.

We should win the Coastal, but it won’t be a walk in the park, unless this team jells quickly - not just with each other, but with the coaching staff. Also, I get the sense Manny feels we still have too many quitters on the team.

I think the general hope is that Miami might finally have competent coaches on both sides of the ball for the first time in a very long time. Seems like we just haven’t been able to pair a good unit with anything other than a clown show on the other side of the ball in a long, long time.

My brotha, you've stood your ground on this and you're a poster I sincerely respect. I just am not sure I'd use anything that happened last year as support. Our "weak OL" was weaker than our opponents in the ACC Coastal? Than the Old Dominion train? If you think we gave our [not so strong] OL a fighting chance with our offense's level predictability and lack of diversity (run and pass game), then there's no discussion here.

This isn't to say we are necessarily strong this year at OL. It's not to say Enos' schemes will turn our guys into the Dallas OL. We have big question marks. Plural. But, it's going to be tough to convince me we're less talented at OL when you do a coastal division comparison. Let's win the Coastal and 10 games. Then go get Isaiah Walker, Rivers and those dudes.

It’s a UM official and Manny allowed this to be told today.
I don’t want TO from our qbs!!! That’s the most disappointing thing I read. Smh.
I don't want TOs. But I don't want them getting flustered and taking six sacks either. The factions continue.

Advertisement
So let's say the stats are something like this --

Perry 17-21 180 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT, 1 Fumble, 1 Sack
Jarren 14-24 160 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT, 1 Rush TD, 2 Sacks
Tate 12-25 155 yds, 1 TD, 1 Rush TD, 30 Rush Yds, 5 sacks

Who you going with?

I got a feeling Enos and Manny are sooooooooo mad right now.

The completions / attempts cannot be right. The three QBs combined to complete 71%. If Tate was under 50% and had about the same number of attempts, it would mean the other two balled out (or at least one of them).

You just have to get creative with the situations you are given. Getting the ball out fast, keeping a tight end to help chip an edge player, rolling outside of the pocket. It’s a multitude of ways to endure this situation we have and enos knows this. We will see on the 24th
I don’t mean to overreact to the first scrimmage, esp based off one beat writers hearsay report. I’m just concerned about OL.

I did an insomnia-driven deep dive on Enos the other night. I don’t think he likes to move the pocket. He does seem to like RB screens, and runs them effectively off play action, misdirection stuff. Stuff that seemed to come from under center more often than not.

The stuff I read made me think Tate wasn’t a great fit. This article adds fuel to that fire. And again, truth be told I was rooting for Tate.

If I didn’t read D$ say jarren didn’t have a great summer, I’d probably guess him if you put a gun to my head, based on size/measurables and accuracy to get it to put playmakers. But I have no f’in clue at this point.

My brotha, you've stood your ground on this and you're a poster I sincerely respect. I just am not sure I'd use anything that happened last year as support. Our "weak OL" was weaker than our opponents in the ACC Coastal? Than the Old Dominion train? If you think we gave our [not so strong] OL a fighting chance with our offense's level predictability and lack of diversity (run and pass game), then there's no discussion here.

This isn't to say we are necessarily strong this year at OL. It's not to say Enos' schemes will turn our guys into the Dallas OL. We have big question marks. Plural. But, it's going to be tough to convince me we're less talented at OL when you do a coastal division comparison. Let's win the Coastal and 10 games. Then go get Isaiah Walker, Rivers and those dudes.
Point taken. But it’s fall camp and we are still playing musical chairs trying to find 5 guys to line up. It’s a clusterfcuk.

Tates game includes his ability to improvise when the play breaks down. Not letting the QB's go live takes away from one of his strengths. 6 sacks seems like a lot. I have to believe he would have escape at least three of those if he was allowed to play live.
Not going live means not taking hits. It wouldn't take away from scrambling.

I also found it interesting listening to coach Diaz on WQAM this morning when he described what a QB needs to do to win the job. He said:

1) Know the playbook.
2) Know where to go with the ball.
3) Throw with accuracy.
4) The X-factor. Can you do something special if the play breaks down? What was interesting is what he said next. If you don't do 1-3 well, having the X-factor will not compensate for the shortcomings of 1-3. Not sure if he was speaking about any QB in particular, but an interesting comment nonetheless.

Advertisement
Back