Looking ahead and what could've been...

Need to find a LT for next year. According to some Donaldson is more of a RT (I'm no expert at projecting HS OL) which gives us 3 guys better suited at RT over LT in St Louis, Odogwu, and Donaldson. No idea what to expect from Brown.

I would expect McDermott, Gauthier, Darling will be the interior of the OL.

Need to find a unit that performs better then the 2016 OL.

Donaldson was recruited at RT but he can easily play LT or even Guard if need be.

IMO, the philosophy will be to get the best 5 out there. At the very least, they will look like what a real college Oline should from a physical standpoint. Whats interesting is that Im actually going to miss Alex Gall, I thought he played really well at center the last third of the season

Agreed 100% on Alex Gall. He really answered the call at center and served as the foundation for the offenses resurrection the last 5 games of the year.

Advertisement
- Still puzzled by the fact UM was still running mesh-point/inside read plays with Kaaya. He simply is no threat to tuck and run it. It's a waste of a down

I still don't understand why this needs to be explained.

Kaaya isn't running the read option. He's running a run-pass option. He's not reading the DE to keep the ball or not. He's looking at numbers in the box vs outside to either hand the ball off or pull the ball and hit a WR on a slant or hitch.

Richards' touchdown was an example of this. That was a called run play that gave Kaaya the option to either hand the ball off, or pull it and hit Richards on the hitch.

Last edited:
Few things need to happen this offseason.

First priority, Richt NEEDS to hire an OC! He needs a home run hire equivalent to Manny D.
2nd, Searles gotta go. Nobody improved this year on the o line, and he will continue to be a weakness until he is replaced. We got a monster in Donaldson coming, and we dont need his talent going to waste by not getting coached up.

If Richt makes those 2 adjustments, and hits it out the park like he did Kool, Manny D, were a playoff team.

3rd, I personally think Kayaa is gone, and im excited as **** to get Perry in here. I think with the right OC, hel be ready to give this offense a much needed spark. We need a gamer at QB and Kayaa is not!! Il take my chances with the new guy, even if he is a true freshman. A duel threat Qb with weapons like we have will put a lot more pressure on defenses.

First priority, Richt NEEDS to hire an OC! He needs a home run hire equivalent to Manny D.
2nd, Searles gotta go. Nobody improved this year on the o line, and he will continue to be a weakness until he is replaced. We got a monster in Donaldson coming, and we dont need his talent going to waste by not getting coached up.

If Richt makes those 2 adjustments, and hits it out the park like he did Kool, Manny D, were a playoff team.

3rd, I personally think Kayaa is gone, and im excited as **** to get Perry in here. I think with the right OC, hel be ready to give this offense a much needed spark. We need a gamer at QB and Kayaa is not!! Il take my chances with the new guy, even if he is a true freshman. A duel threat Qb with weapons like we have will put a lot more pressure on defenses.

The OL definitely improved the last third of the season once some changes were made to the rotation. What's alarming is that it took so long for said changes to be made, but at least they were made. Problem is we have like two tackles on the roster (St. Louis & Odogwu IMO) and the rest are interior linemen. We need a huge talent upgrade before we can properly judge Searles.

Advertisement
Yeah, that 89 defense is a personal favorite of mine. Nobody re-set the LOS the way they did. It was such a deep and talented unit that Jimmie Jones( who had a good NFL career) was a back-up at DT as a senior. The other end opposite Mark was Willis Pegues(played in the NFL).I think the 3rd starting 'backer that season was Richard Newbill( who also played in the league).

Jimmy Johnson left ERRickson a full cupboard at Miami

The 94 defense is a favorite of mine. I recently watched highlights of the 94 FSU game. The DL of Kenard Lang, Pat Riley, Warren Sapp, and Kenny Holmes was sick. Add Ray Lewis and Rohan Marley at LB, CJ Richardson and Carlos Jones in the secondary. Wow.

upon second review:

- this has to be Miamis' best Dline in terms of depth and talent since 2002( which had McDougle, Andrew Williams, Joseph, Wilfork, Green, etc). In my estimation Miami has at least 6 guys who have a real chance to play at the next level with reinforcements on the way. I cant remember a more impactful freshman DE at Miami since Joe Jackson

- Thought of this later, the scary thing about this defense in '16 was that they did this with the unexpected losses of Jermain Grace and AQM( two guys who were thought to be key cogs of this unit).It's further testament to Manny Diaz and the job he did in guiding this side of the ball

- It will be interesting to see how Shaq Quarterman develops physically, honestly, as good as he was it seemed like dropping a few pounds would help his game. He didn't have the burst of the other fellow freshman LB's. This frosh unit is 'Bermuda Triange 2.0'

- Corn Elder played another strong game. Pound for pound he's as good a tackler at CB as Miami has ever had.

- Seriously, since Pat O'Donnell, Miami has had a nice run of punters. Justin Vogel is a real weapon, he can boom it, pooch it and usually has good hang time.

- Braxton Berrios takes a lot of heat but in all fairness I think he's been miscast and misused as an outside receiver( and this was probably by necessity with Cager's injury but inside in the slot I think he can do some real work and stuff that he did tonight showed that. He simply isn't meant to run go-routes and fight for 50-50 balls, IMO

- Three years ago as he was a Miami recruit, Brad Kaaya and his father came to this very same bowl game in Orlando and saw Miami get smoked by L'Ville. In what may have been his final game at Miami he wins the MVP in this bowl.

- Still puzzled by the fact UM was still running mesh-point/inside read plays with Kaaya. He simply is no threat to tuck and run it. It's a waste of a down

- David Njoku is still just scratching the surface of his ability and production( again, he didn't even have 50 grabs in what was his contract year), it will be interesting to see how he does in a system where he's moved around like the Queen on a chessboard really used in an imaginative fashion. The consistency of his hands is the only real question

- Dana Holgerson became an internet sensation during this game. Good grief, guy was a parody of an angry, over-the-top coach. He probably spawned hundres of GIF's that we'll see for years to come. Seriously, ESPN3 should've set up a Dana-cam just to focus on him on the sideline

- S. Coley once again made some plays and he didn't once come up limping or squirming on the turf not one time!! This guys going to be alright. But seriously, I'm proud of this guy, take away a sophomore slump he's been a consistent playmaker. Speaking of WR's, Dayall Harris, did he play at all this game? He actually made some plays(mostly on bubble screens) early in the year and to be honest, as I take a look at next years receiving unit I find myself forgetting about him. Did he become the modern day Bobby Byrd?

- I mentioned Tyree St Louis in my OP, I really think he's one of the most pivotal guys for next year. He needs to be Coach Searles pet project. He looks the part of a RT and he seemed to make some strides but I notice that he gets beat inside a lot, across the face( which is worse than getting beat on the edge) on pass pro. But I really hope he solidifies his spot next year. He has some real physical upside

- It will be interesting to see how Ahmonn Richards expands his route tree next year. If he becomes a real technician at this position he can be Andre Johnson-level good( and as great as Johnson became Im not sure he was ready to do the stuff Richards did as a true freshman). But I think Richards is this good - to me, if/when Kaaya leaves, my choice for QB is the guy who has the best chemistry with 82. Yeah, I know it seems far-fetched but c'mon, it's not that crazy if you think about it

- Finally, there's a big debate on just how 'important' non-playoff bowl games are. Well, when you haven't won one of them in a decade and you come out victorious, yeah, it's pretty **** important. And you know what they say about winning - it beats losing.

Super Post---2002 Defense was great but going back another 12/13 years I would favor a Defense with Cortez Kennedy, Russell Maryland, Greg Mark, Willis Peguese, with Shane Curry, Rusty Medearis and Darrien Krein as backups..Played a lot of 5/2 defense that was further anchored by Benard Clark, Maurice Crum, and Mike Barrow..I can still see the fear in the opposing QB's facemask with Kennedy and Maryland coming up the middle together....Tough choice but you're correct in that the WVA game showed some of old flash of a well coordinated defense with dedicated players rising to the top...

Those days were sick. They're on their way back!!

The OL definitely improved the last third of the season once some changes were made to the rotation. What's alarming is that it took so long for said changes to be made, but at least they were made. Problem is we have like two tackles on the roster (St. Louis & Odogwu IMO) and the rest are interior linemen. We need a huge talent upgrade before we can properly judge Searles.

the injury to Linder was a huge blessing because it allowed Gall to really have a senior season revival at C. I thought he was a huge upgrade at that spot. Honestly, I think Searles did what he could with the hand that was dealt him. I assume like most coaches his performance will be better or graded higher with improved talent( which is hopefully coming to Coral Gables. But I didn't get the sinking Art Kehoe feeling I had the past couple of seasons

Yeah, that 89 defense is a personal favorite of mine. Nobody re-set the LOS the way they did. It was such a deep and talented unit that Jimmie Jones( who had a good NFL career) was a back-up at DT as a senior. The other end opposite Mark was Willis Pegues(played in the NFL).I think the 3rd starting 'backer that season was Richard Newbill( who also played in the league).

The 94 defense is a favorite of mine. I recently watched highlights of the 94 FSU game. The DL of Kenard Lang, Pat Riley, Warren Sapp, and Kenny Holmes was sick. Add Ray Lewis and Rohan Marley at LB, CJ Richardson and Carlos Jones in the secondary. Wow.

[video=youtube;3Wwp858mKlk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wwp858mKlk[/video]

Advertisement

Awesome. Thanks!

Awesome. Thanks!

no problem. I have more games from that season too.

Yeah, 94 was the last great defense of that era. They also had Earl Little at safety( who had a good NFL career) and Chad Wilson( who was solid at CB). I think Corwin Francis was the 3rd 'backer, he was a good player, too

The FSU and ND games will haunt me in the post-season, the coulda, woulda, shouldas, but a very solid and encouraging season from our Canes.

Not just optimistic about the future but genuinely excited. Won't have to talk myself into hope this offseason, which will be a nice change of pace.

Me too.
Although we would not have won the Coastal we would have been 10-2, sitting at #7 , and playing Michigan at home right now.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back