Look to the Transfer Portal: Discussion thread

Advertisement
So just over 10 days out from the portal opening up…based on what we’ve heard regarding the DB room, the DT room, the RB room and the WR room…

Which position (or positions) do you guys think Mario ends up letting the guys he recruited battle it out, and which positions do you think he goes big portal hunting for?
RB is the position I'm most confident we bring in a full on starter at.

Wr will be internal battle.

DT we will bring someone in only if they will be a clear starter as a NT imo, as we don't need another rotational 3T DT when we have like 7 in that mold. But this would be the most expensive as well. I think if we get a top DT there is no way we are spending much on other positions.

CB/Safety seems like most likely spot we will definitely bring someone in at after RB. CB I doubt we bring in a top guy. Id bet on a young guy or at least someone with 2yrs eligibility who could be CB4 today and potentially start next yr. Safety id say should be looking for a clear starter since it seems Powell will be used as a nickel primarily.

RB is the position I'm most confident we bring in a full on starter at.

Wr will be internal battle.

DT we will bring someone in only if they will be a clear starter as a NT imo, as we don't need another rotational 3T DT when we have like 7 in that mold. But this would be the most expensive as well. I think if we get a top DT there is no way we are spending much on other positions.

CB/Safety seems like most likely spot we will definitely bring someone in at after RB. CB I doubt we bring in a top guy. Id bet on a young guy or at least someone with 2yrs eligibility who could be CB4 today and potentially start next yr. Safety id say should be looking for a clear starter since it seems Powell will be used as a nickel primarily.
@WeBallinBoyz , I actually agree with his assessment of what might well happen. 😮

I’m not sold at what we have at DT or CB but I don’t see a big fish coming in.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Anyone have any ideas who the potential big time DTs would be?
This list doesn’t seem like any of the kids who will be leaving

Also the SEC CANT poach each other in the spring cycle
I mean I'd take Dontay Corleone in a heartbeat. He's the only one on that list I'd guess who'd really consider transfering. And he's the type of DT we need at 320 lbs.

Some Random Names:
Lee Hunter UCF
Joshua Farmer FSU
Elijah Simmons UTenn

Last edited:
Welp according to DM we are gonna get a lot better after spring. Can’t wait
The only way to get a lot better is if…

1. Spring portal entries are what everyone nationally is hyping up them to be

2 we commit to spending money at key positions of need; that includes RB, DT, CB and WR.

Excited and curious to see how not only we attack the portal, but how others do as well. The biggest thing surrounding the portal is the introduction of the 12-team playoff. Now tons of schools will feel like they have a shot at getting in, including Miami.

Thus, it’s natural to expect a whole lot more tampering being done after analyzing what holes your roster has in the spring. And with that, a lot more programs desperate to either jump in the mix, or solidify themselves as a team to watch in the Fall. Prices go up, bidding wars ensue. Players want to test the market…

This doesn’t even include the usual list of guys that are either second string at national programs looking to start somewhere, or guys that want a change of scenery, a bigger stage to showcase their talent, etc.

Should be a whole lot of fun imo. There is a small chance it’s better than the winter portal window…

Advertisement
Didn't even produce or start at Jacksonville State and now he's garnering P4 interest? Wild times.
Anthony Campbell types.

Body type take. You've seen what he has grown into and you can see if you can get something out of it with some P5 development. Maybe they have a few plays on film that splash and you get some hope they go something.

Over time, I'm curious to see what comes of these types of players. Surely going to be a long line of bad...curious to see which ones become NFL players.

Anthony Campbell types.

Body type take. You've seen what he has grown into and you can see if you can get something out of it with some P5 development. Maybe they have a few plays on film that splash and you get some hope they go something.

Over time, I'm curious to see what comes of these types of players. Surely going to be a long line of bad...curious to see which ones become NFL players.
None

There will eventually be some. Are there any right now on the cusp nationally (maybe in Year 2 with a major P5) about to get on the draft radar? I'm unsure. But if not now, eventually there will be. Will the hunt for those guys be worth the squeeze? Probably not...but it'll be interesting to watch. Physically developed defensive line "prospects", even at an advanced age are probably worth quite a bit to these teams in the middle of an arms race.

Advertisement
There will eventually be some. Are there any right now on the cusp nationally (maybe in Year 2 with a major P5) about to get on the draft radar? I'm unsure. But if not now, eventually there will be. Will the hunt for those guys be worth the squeeze? Probably not...but it'll be interesting to watch. Physically developed defensive line "prospects", even at an advanced age are probably worth quite a bit to these teams in the middle of an arms race.
Those guys will be in the UFL.

Advertisement
Back